M32 Stolen - now what?

LBR

Was this the same 2016 M32 that you posted the thread about on Sept 12, 2017 that got flooded during Harvey in Houston and was likely a total loss?

Last edited:

wdk450

I have used Trimax Wheel Chock Locks in the past. Yes more than one and makes another trailer more desirable do to the time it takes to cut them off. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031XULF2?tag=duckduckgo-ffnt-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

I know from my Navy high security work that with physical possessions, security is just a deterrence factor - all of the safe-like paper file drawers we used had UL ratings tags as to how long it would take to defeat the safe via different safecracking methods. That being said, I took a look at the Amazon listing for the device linked above, and found the following comment in the ratings area:

[FONT=&quot]"After about a year the lock mechanism would not unlock. I tried everything removing pressure, wiggling, lubrication, and fought for a half hour with no luck. I then grabbed a reciprocating saw(with a dull blade) and cut through the arm in 10 seconds. Made me realize how ineffective of a lock was the whole time anyway."[/FONT]

Fox

Over the years I've had two trailer security locks freeze up (likely due to rust). It only took me seconds to drill out the key hole and remove them; professional thieves should know even more shortcuts. While I've never done this I have contemplated removal of the wheel nuts - for longer term storage; this way an unexpecting thief won't get far.

For now (while parked in my yard) I depend on the unexpected uniqueness of a (removable with proper tools) Anderson hitch adapter bolted to my pin; plus a large, very noisy GSD - backed up with firearms (legal in Alabama).

LBR

Our M32 was stolen from 290 Storage in Cypress, TX last night together with another PUMA trailer.

Was this the same 2016 M32 that you posted the thread about on Sept 12, 2017 that got flooded during Harvey in Houston and was likely a total loss?

porthole

Retired
I used a Garmin SPOT on my boat or when motorcycle not being used. You need a subscription plan but it was nice to know if either of the items moved I would get a text within a few minutes.

https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/products-services/spot-gen3

I thought about adding it to the RV but never bothered. But that was when we were using it a lot or it was parked next to the house. Now that we moved and the RV is stored off site I am considering it again.

jbeletti

I used a Garmin SPOT on my boat or when motorcycle not being used. You need a subscription plan but it was nice to know if either of the items moved I would get a text within a few minutes.

https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/products-services/spot-gen3

I thought about adding it to the RV but never bothered. But that was when we were using it a lot or it was parked next to the house. Now that we moved and the RV is stored off site I am considering it again.

No RV garage at the new house?

porthole

Retired
No RV garage at the new house?

Not yet. Bit of a catch 22 here, some known issues, some unforeseen.

HOA ...... Not allowed to park RV's here, but they will allow up to 2 weeks at a time or I can "garage" it here.

Have plans to build the garage, but - the current layout of our street, driveway and tow vehicle prevent getting the RV backed in off the street.

I have plans to re-do the driveway and correct that problem, but - the county wants me to hold off until the street gets repaved as it will be made 3' wider and leveled, and that will exacerbate my problem on one hand and minimize it on the other.

Repaving is on table with no definitive date because of the developers financial status, only half the lots have sold and the remaining lots are overpriced.

So, we need the developer or county to repave and grade the road, then I can fix my driveway, then I can start the garage, then I can park the RV here.

Which as it turns out can't be a standard pole barn, has to be built to match the house, same siding, roof and windows etc. That pretty much almost doubles the price.

So far I have the county's blessing to widen the entrance from an approved 12' to 20' width and our HOA has approved my driveway expansion.
Haven't submitted a plan yet for a 35x50 garage.

jbeletti

Wow Duane - that's a real catch 22. Sounds like it will be sometime before it's all resolved and you're parking inside your RV garage. Our home and RV garage plans are done. When we get back from the Abilene rally, we meet our builder at our lot to stake out the home and workshop (RV garage) corners, then the developer has to approve it. No building permit required - so I only need developer sign-off. I should get by with simply doing a metal (different color) wainscotting of the workshop which should add little cost. Developer agrees that wainscotting brick on the front wall of a metal building looks dorky. Bummer that you have to full match to the house. We passed on one or two subdivisions that had that deep inside the CC&Rs.

[/threadhijack]