M32 Stolen - now what?

PeterS

Our M32 was stolen from 290 Storage in Cypress, TX last night together with another PUMA trailer.
Police is on the way, but camera footage seems to grainy.
What next? Highly customized, tons of personal items in it.
Where would a stolen unit go? Try to sell or slaughter?

Fox

Last Feb. I suffered a similar event, my daily driver was stolen; it was recovered a few hours later, totalled.

Although my insurance (USAA) treated me well I still had to purchase (read finance) another car - vs this one that was paid for.

I wish you a better resolution.

SLO

So sorry to here this happened to you. I’ve always tried to do things to prevent someone from driving off with my trailer for the past 35 years. One of my worst nightmares.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Another reason to insure for what you paid, not the depreciation value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crmfghtr

I hope they find it for you. Sad to say most stolen vehicles are not recovered immediately, days or even weeks later.

Good luck to you.

PeterS

What, if any, type of locking system did you have on the trailer?

The hitch lock was a masterlock, hardened steel. They had a metal grinder to get thru it (as well as the storage gate)...clearly pros.
All other compartments were std locks, battery disconnect etc.

Hope the VIN can get recorded with Heartland etc as stolen : 5SNFB3426HE323462

avvidclif

Sounds like they had already scouted to place and found what they wanted and knew what it would take to get it. Kinda like maybe steal on order?

PeterS

Sounds like they had already scouted to place and found what they wanted and knew what it would take to get it. Kinda like maybe steal on order?

Very much looks like it.
Devastating loss...3 yrs of customizations, the personal effects etc....

PeterS

Just an update and followup Q....unit was never recovered (not that police actually actively did anything).

Insurance covered 70% of value...I suppose that's better than nothing :-/

For our new unit I upgraded to a Masterlock Trailer Locks #389DAT that should make it a litte harder.

Would it make sense to pull/remove the emergency brakeaway pin as an extra measure? Will this actually lock the brakes/wheels assuming thiefs disconnect the battery?

danemayer

Just an update and followup Q....unit was never recovered (not that police actually actively did anything).

For our new unit I upgraded to a Masterlock Trailer Locks #389DAT that should make it a litte harder.

Would it make sense to pull/remove the emergency brakeaway pin as an extra measure? Will this actually lock the brakes/wheels assuming thiefs disconnect the battery?
If you pull the breakaway pin while the trailer battery is connected, and leave it that way, you'll likely damage the brakes.

If you disconnect the trailer battery cable(s), the brakes will not be activated at all.

PeterS

Shoot...was hoping to add another obstacle to potential thieves, but if they are smart and disconnect the battery they can just pull the unit.... :-/

Flick

I truly feel bad for your loss a while back. The breakaway has to have an active 12v system to work and that is why, for example, our farm trailers with brakes are all sold with a small battery similar to a lawnmower battery. Most of these trailers I referred to are not hooked up with a 12v supply hot from the vehicle for accessories to keep the battery charged. The trailer breakaway needs a power source to work.
I think that the problem with any anti theft gadget is that the professional criminal has a way to counter almost any device. My thinking is that the best anti theft device could possibly be one that grandpa would have used, example, a big old chain to a post or wheel to wheel. Don’t get me wrong, I use the gadgets also because it may cause them to move on. The problem in your case was that they probably had a long time to stay at it. You didn’t need me to tell you that.
I built a fifth wheel locking device that is shielded in every way from cutters but if they had enough time, they could probably remove it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
On the topic of insurance, insuring the rig for the price you paid is something to look into, rather than a depreciated value.

wdk450

You could always remove both tires/wheels on one side and leave the trailer up on jackstands.

Or, you might want to do a websearch on "Vehicle anti theft GPS trackers". These things are surprisingly inexpensive, and I bet they wouldn't draw much current from your battery. I chatted with one company rep, and although their product is primarily aimed at trucking companies tracking their trailers, the rep said that the device would work for tracking for vehicle recovery by the police. I guess they keep a gps location in memory, and can communicate via the cellular telephone network to your smartphone.

On edit: I should have mentioned that the rep I chatted with said that their GPS tracker device could be configured to notify you if your trailer is moved from storage.

Last edited:

Matt750

Sorry for your loss. Have you checked out amplock or ftknoxlocks? Just about anything can be defeated with enough time, but these seem pretty substantial. Looks like they make locks for 5th wheels and bumper pulls. I don’t own one from either company (had a different brand on our last 5th wheel). I’m going to get one from just haven’t decided who to go with.