Lost one leg of 50 amp but came back on

farside291

Replaced the input connector this past weekend, removed the wires from the old receptacle to insert into the new input plug. Found where they (factory) stripped the outer jacket actually cut through the jackets on the Red and Black wires and scraped the copper on the ground. Had to cut off about 4 inches of the wire past the cut portion before replacing the connector. Not sure if this caused the condition, I think not, but it could have been disastrous if the wires would have shorted against each other. Having the cut insulation on the wires closer to the connector would have been bad enough but these were cut right at the point where the outer jacket was stripped so the wires were in very close proximity to each other. Well, any way they are correctly fixed and a higher quality connector in now mounted to the side of the trailer. All is well.

jbeletti

farside291 - I know you have your power inlet replaced now, but just noting for the future or for anyone interested, I have been evaluating the SmartPlug power inlet since May 2019 with dozens and dozens of setups/teardowns and I am really pleased with the ease of connecting disconnecting, the retention of the plug into the inlet and the additional electrical contact surface.

Not cheap but so far, for me, great product.

SmartPlug website

My install pics

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
farside291 - I know you have your power inlet replaced now, but just noting for the future or for anyone interested, I have been evaluating the SmartPlug power inlet since May 2019 with dozens and dozens of setups/teardowns and I am really pleased with the ease of connecting disconnecting, the retention of the plug into the inlet and the additional electrical contact surface.

Not cheap but so far, for me, great product.

SmartPlug website

My install pics

I second the SmartPlug product! One of the best upgrades ever done to our rig, I put it right up there with LevelUp, RVLock, and Torklift Glowstep Revolution Steps. Upgrades I will never do without!

Before upgrading I was never really sure the electrical connection to the rv was tight. I had also read of unseen melted parts of the standard twist-lock marine connectors. And I know how difficult the connection is to work with in the winter months, when we like to travel to go skiing or visit relatives in colder climates.

I was instantly in love with the operational ease and safety of this rv power outlet connection! We’ve had our 50amp connector almost two years full-time, with no issues whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farside291

The Smart Plug is in my Amazon wish list, maybe Santa will get it for the BC. As for now all is well. I purchased a much higher quality connector then the one that was on the trailer originally and I know it is installed correctly with no cut wires. And, no more pigtails for me. Again, thank you everyone for your input and help.