Towing vehicle

Hey guys,

My wife and I are new to the camping and trailering world so I have a question about a tow vehicle.
We bought a new 2020 Heartland pioneer DS320 but I don't have the truck to tow it.
I am looking at the 2019 Ford F150 3.5L. Do i need to get the max trailer tow package or do I just get regular tow package and do I need the Brake Controller or does my trailer have an automatic one?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello lonewolfpack and welcome to this great informational forum.
The trailer does not have a brake controller, your truck will have that.
I would recommend that you do get the towing package.
You will also want fo get a weight distributing hitch along with an anti sway system.
Check the events tab at the top of this page for an upcoming really in your area, also consider joining the Heartland Owners Club. It's free. Check out the link in my sig.

Peace
Dave

MTPockets

Your hitch set up is most important. The specs say 870 lbs hitch weight. That will be more as you add weight inside the trailer. Make sure you get the receiver to handle at least 1000 lbs....

avvidclif

I've never pulled a bumper pull 37' long so just guessing. That said whatever you buy make sure it's rated to tow over 9000 lbs. You will need every HD trailer package you can get. That is a LONG trailer for a 1/2t. WD hitch and anti sway bar will be needed. Personally I would go with a 3/4t long bed because of the heavier duty tires and suspension. Gas or diesel, your choice.

Don't spend both of those pennies in one place.

sengli

With a RV of that size, sounds like you are in the F250 range, not the F150. I made the classic mistake when we got in the RV lifstyle. started with a 3/4 ton, then finally got a 1 ton. Wasted a lot of money trying to be cheap.

Rydrcoach

You will be unhappy with the 1/2 ton and with the 3.7L trying to tow that much RV. Like the rest have said go a minimum of 3/4 ton for the heavier suspension, axles, tires and frame.

jbeletti

Lonewolfpack - I have a 2019 F150 that I pull a 31', 7.8k travel trailer with. I ordered the truck with the Max Tow option. This option selects the 3.5L EcoBoost engine and the rear gearing, maybe other things too - I forget.

I am super happy with the power this truck has to tow this 7k unit. Would I tow a 37' long, 9k GVWR travel trailer with it? It seems to be within the spec of the truck to do so, but pretty sure I'd step up to an F250. The 250 won't give the same ride quality as the 150 but would likely be a better puller for the RV you're eyeing up.

Thanks for all the info guys. I must point out that we won’t tow the trailer as it’s in a seasonal site. I just wanted the option in case we do want to go elsewhere for a week or weekend. I bought a truck not with max trailer tow but a trailer tow package 3.5 Ford F-150 that says it can tow up to 11500 pounds with a class 5 hitch receiver.