Keeping RV's water from freezing

Jerapais

We're living in our RV and it's 20* out. My water is hooked up to the fresh water at the barn next to the camper. My bedroom shower and sink have running water but not the galley/kitchen or rear lav/toilet/shower. Must be frozen but I don't know where/how to look. Any suggestions?

danemayer

Best thing is to run the furnace at a higher thermostat setting and hope things warm up during the day.

If you have low point drains, you might have ice forming between coroplast and drain valves and wicking up into where it tees into the water lines. Try running a hair dryer on those drains. You may have to insulate or run heat tape on them to prevent freezing.

Take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide for more ideas.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dan is right, our first winter foray in our fifth wheel, we thought we had prepared. We had wrapped the low point drains in foam insulation, but when the temp got below zero that didn’t help and we froze like you mentioned, our island had no water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

Our low point froze up Tuesday night into Wednesday morning and no water in the galley sink. After it warmed up here I wrapped the low points in the yellow pipe insulation and then added the gray foam pipe insulation on to it. But it was down to 16 here in Chattanooga. Last night it was only around 28 so we did not have any issues with the water.

Jerapais

Our low point froze up Tuesday night into Wednesday morning and no water in the galley sink. After it warmed up here I wrapped the low points in the yellow pipe insulation and then added the gray foam pipe insulation on to it. But it was down to 16 here in Chattanooga. Last night it was only around 28 so we did not have any issues with the water.

Thank you. I bought some insulation tape and will wrap the low point drains. Tried to open this am and they were frozen.......

danemayer

Insulation slows the transfer of heat, but doesn't add any heat. So when temps are just a bit below freezing, the insulation, in conjunction with a little radiated heat that may come off the underbelly, may protect from freezing.

But as temps drop and the wind blows, offsetting any radiated heat, the insulation will not keep the water from freezing. In those situations, you either need to reposition the low point (and fresh tank) drains above the coroplast, or had heat tape.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Insulation slows the transfer of heat, but doesn't add any heat. So when temps are just a bit below freezing, the insulation, in conjunction with a little radiated heat that may come off the underbelly, may protect from freezing.

But as temps drop and the wind blows, offsetting any radiated heat, the insulation will not keep the water from freezing. In those situations, you either need to reposition the low point (and fresh tank) drains above the coroplast, or had heat tape.

Yes we learned to tuck our low point drains into the underbelly for winter travel, they are also wrapped in insulating foam as well. Since we fulltime, it’s really not an issue if they stay in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk