Burning Though Propane?

MattB

Hello,

I have a 2020 Cyclone, I have been going through Propane tanks rather fast. I have 2 tanks at 7LBs each. From what I have gathered it seems like they should last for at least 3-4 for days depending on how much the unit is ran. (Furnace only). I have a 35000BTU Furnace.
Has anyone ran into Propane tanks running out with in 1-2 days?

We shut off the Furnace during the day. It runs from 6-7 daily, so 13 hours daily. Does this seem right?

danemayer

Hi MattB,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I assume you mean you have 7 gallon tanks that hold about 30 lbs of propane.

Our experience in temps well below freezing, and often below 0 (F), is that it's pretty easy to go through a 9 gallon tank in 3 1/2 days with the thermostat set at 68 (F) and running 24 hours.

But different trailers ad different price points have different insulation. Also, the more windows, the greater the heat loss. So there's no single answer. But if you're in Texas, going through 7 gallons in 1 - 2 days seems to me to be on the high side.

mlpeloquin

We ran through a lot of propane for a few years. Our last trip across the US last year I purchased an electrical gas sniffer. Prior to this, two RV repair facilities tested, and I tested with the bubble soap. No leak was found. This instrument is so sensitive it found the leak at the water heater. Very small leak and I could not smell it. I was even able to pinpoint the exact spot on the connection! If a leak is suspected, you really need one of these.

Oregon_Camper

For an absolute answer on how much propane your furnace (or any other gas appliance) uses, look its BTU rating.

There are about 90,000 BTUs in a gallon of propane. If your furnace is rated at 30,000 BTUs it will use 1/3 gallon of propane for every hour it's in use. (30,000 / 90,000 = 1/3)

Propane use is based on the time the furnace runs. If you have furnace at 90 or 70....it will burn the same amount of propane. However, it will stop at 70 (saving propane) long before 90. Your furnace only has one output temp.

Finally, remember propane weighs 4.24 pounds per gallon and most tanks are rated in "pounds" not gallons. So, if you have a 30-pound tank, you have 30 / 4.24 = 7.04 gallons of propane

Lynn1130

If you have the door between the garage and the main living quarters open you will burn through a bunch in a hurry. There is not insulation in the garage. I close that off if it is not being used and keep a small ceramic heater in there when on shore power.

8404fmfvet

I’m in TX right now and have been going through a 30lb bottle about once a week since the temperatures dropped. About the only thing I’m using propane for is furnace and water heater. I’m also leaving my garage door open. For reference I have a 40 foot 5th wheel.

danemayer

Once when I had a propane tank filled, the attendant did not fully close the overflow screw that is opened during the fill. Propane was leaking out slowly.

You might want to give the tanks a sniff test and perhaps apply a solution of dish soap to check for leaks around the fittings and regulators.

david-steph2018

We have a 2018 Road Warrior 427RW and we are using about 1 30lb bottle every 4 days. Consider the temps were in the mid 20's at nights with a couple of nights in the teens. There were about 5 days since Oct 28th that were in the 30-40's. The furnace stays around 66 to 67 plus using the water heater and oven/stove.
We keep the door to the garage closed and use our electric fireplace to help out.
One time a bottle only lasted 3 days, but Step cooked a pumpkin pie, which took about 1 1/2 hour in the oven.

Lynn1130

I’m also leaving my garage door open.

If you do not need this area for living, close the door. As I mentioned in an earlier post, that area is poorly insulated (if at all) and if like mine the furnace vent in there is totally inadequate. I you have to leave it open supply some supplemental heat with a ceramic heater.

A week on a bottle in really not too bad. In very cold temps (teens at night) we could go through a bottle in 4-5 days and sometimes less.