4007 Question

Lndeatr

So my 4007 that I pick up this week is a little over 3 feet longer than my 3611 we are trading in but is only 1295 lbs heavier and the hitch weight is only 280 lbs heavier. Anyone know where they shave the weight from? More aluminium. I realize the extra length is in the longer garage but I would have thought it would be heavier than it is.

avvidclif

So my 4007 that I pick up this week is a little over 3 feet longer than my 3611 we are trading in but is only 1295 lbs heavier and the hitch weight is only 280 lbs heavier. Anyone know where they shave the weight from? More aluminium. I realize the extra length is in the longer garage but I would have thought it would be heavier than it is.

What? 16,600 isn't enough? Get it loaded and listen for the SRW to groan.

Dmetcalf

I’m not sure how to answer your question but I can say that even though it is (in my opinion) plenty heavy enough it pulls great ..! It could be due to the third axle under it..? I’m sure you’ll find out pretty quickly what I’m saying after you hook on to it. Enjoy it’s a great floor plan and well made rig.

Lndeatr

What? 16,600 isn't enough? Get it loaded and listen for the SRW to groan.

It's not about how heavy it weighs, it's about having a rig that we enjoy and can live with as our last purchase. We have owned 5 trailers, 4 of them 5th wheels, and 3 of those Cyclones. I have plenty of power and can handle the hitch weight. Not gonna groan. I would like a wider stance for stability and the comfort of dual tires. Lower gearing would be ok too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lndeatr

I’m not sure how to answer your question but I can say that even though it is (in my opinion) plenty heavy enough it pulls great ..! It could be due to the third axle under it..? I’m sure you’ll find out pretty quickly what I’m saying after you hook on to it. Enjoy it’s a great floor plan and well made rig.

I am excited that there is a 3rd axle. My last 2 Cyclones were roughly the same weight and length, they both had 2 axles which I thought was under designed. I'm looking forward to a smoother ride and better braking.

NYSUPstater

OP, here is Ford's 2003 towing guide info and as to why we all feel your new coach is too much for your current truck. I went down this very same road within past couple of years myself and feel what your saying about not wanting to get a new truck, but safety won out.

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 11.06.36 AM.jpg

Dmetcalf

I am excited that there is a 3rd axle. My last 2 Cyclones were roughly the same weight and length, they both had 2 axles which I thought was under designed. I'm looking forward to a smoother ride and better braking.

I am sure your truck ( I too am a big fan of the Navastar 7.3) has the power to pull it even though it is a heavier unit. The third axle makes all of the difference in my opinion. I had a 40 ft. fifth wheel before we purchased this one and it had two axles. I can tell that this rig even though it is heavier than my old one pulls better and I'm sure it is because of the third axle. I then thought ( sometimes I think way too much and I know it..) that it would be more difficult to maneuver especially in tight turns but where I park it on my property I have to make a hard 90 degree turn and it makes that without any noticeable strain in my tow vehicle (can't feel the RV fighting me).
You will enjoy the layout of the 4007 because we absolutely love it too...!

Lndeatr

Maybe I can reel in this thread back to the original questions. Really gotten off track. I have another post where I addressed my plans for the tow vehicle. I'm wondering what Heartland has done to extend the length, add an axle, and still only be 1200 pounds heavier.

Dmetcalf

Maybe I can reel in this thread back to the original questions. Really gotten off track. I have another post where I addressed my plans for the tow vehicle. I'm wondering what Heartland has done to extend the length, add an axle, and still only be 1200 pounds heavier.

Yeah sorry about the derailment. I really don’t know enough about the structure of the unit to give you any kind of an answer..? Me and the family went on a tour of the toyhauler factory when they were actually building the 2020 -4007 units so we got to see it from start to finish. It has ( like described) twin 12 in beams running under it and I was equally impressed with their fit & finish. They were exceptionally nice and answered all of our questions

Lndeatr

Yeah sorry about the derailment. I really don’t know enough about the structure of the unit to give you any kind of an answer..? Me and the family went on a tour of the toyhauler factory when they were actually building the 2020 -4007 units so we got to see it from start to finish. It has ( like described) twin 12 in beams running under it and I was equally impressed with their fit & finish. They were exceptionally nice and answered all of our questions

That sounds like fun. I am looking forward to dragging it home. Working on finding everything I need to convert my truck to dually. Buying a tractor right now isn't in the cards. I can always use a work truck in a pinch.

avvidclif

It's the same. Spent a lot of hours researching the differences.

That is a good start, next I would look up the original tow specs from Ford for your truck in a dually configuration. If they showed it capable of towing the rv then you should be good to go.