Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Attach the Water Tank Support Bars!

1. Print this Post   #11
    Director of Owners Interests, Heartland RVs jbeletti's Avatar

Re: Attach the Water Tank Support Bars!

My Sundance travel trailer has external tank support bars like that. Note that the factory used self-drilling Tek screws for mine. I know only because I have removed the bars a couple of times to pull some wiring above the underbelly.

We don't travel with much water and my tank is much smaller than yours. Bolts would be better than Tek screws but for you to change over to bolts would take some doing - but might be worth the effort.

This all said, I'm hopeful that primary tank support is above the underbelly and the bars you are seeing are "backup". Guessing the heads of the Tek screws sheared off after the tank was filled??
    Jim Beletti

Index of my Sundance 262 RB Modifications

Club membership is free and it's easy to join. Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

2. Print this Post   #12

Quote Originally Posted by sterlingdjones View Post
    On our first road trip we dropped a bar. Fortunately it dropped onto the axle, I'd hate to see what would have happened if the front had fallen first! It's scary to think about a person behind one of these trailers when a bar flies off - we could have killed someone...
    I was able to get it to hold using slightly larger screws from Home Depot, but these things should not just be an afterthought, and am open to ideas on how to get them done right.
    Attachment 63328Attachment 63327Attachment 63326Attachment 63329Attachment 63330
    This is on a 287 with the 98 gallon fresh tank.

Pictures attached.
    We had the exact same problem, I posted about it in the general forum, only we lost one support. I fabed a new one & replaced all the screws & added some. I also added a piece of c channel across all the supports & bolted it to brackets I welded to the frame. A good safety & additional support.

3. Print this Post   #13

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
    We had the exact same problem, I posted about it in the general forum, only we lost one support. I fabed a new one & replaced all the screws & added some. I also added a piece of c channel across all the supports & bolted it to brackets I welded to the frame. A good safety & additional support.
    We lost a tank support bar on our third trip. Like you luckily it was the rear that dropped so we could put bigger screws in to get home. I added a new bar to support the support bars also attached to the frame rail..

4. Print this Post   #14

if it were my problem, to make the bars hold better, I would weld a piece of angle iron between them at each end, to make it all one piece ..... and the angle iron should be positioned correctly so it can be drilled for more screws to be installed to the crossmember.... and use blue locktite on the screws so they dont vibrate loose.
    Lou and Rochelle
    small dogs, Chico and Charlotte
    2014 Ram 3500 LB-CC 6.7 Cummins
    2011 Heartland BigHorn 3055RL
    2004 Polaris 700 Sportsman
    2005 Polaris 500 Sportsman
    1989 Bayliner 2556
    Land Sailer Cart
    Shortage of Time

5. Print this Post   #15

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby38 View Post
    We lost a tank support bar on our third trip. Like you luckily it was the rear that dropped so we could put bigger screws in to get home. I added a new bar to support the support bars also attached to the frame rail..
    I also, recently had a bar come loose on one end on my Fuel 305. I replaced the Tek screws with 1/4"-20 rivet nuts and 1/4" hex screws. i assumed a larger Tek screw would eventually fail also? By using the rivet nuts, I did not have to drop the chloroplast or get access above the crossmember to add nuts. So far this has worked well. You can buy the special installer pretty cheap on amazon, or just use a good bolt, couple of washers and nut to install the rivet nut. link to rivet nut assortment below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2