How to find the source of a leak??

OSH4007

Hey All,

So the joys of RV ownership just keep showing up!!!:confused::rolleyes::mad:

I have a 2020 Cyclone 4007. We are living in it while we do a remodel on our house so its our temporary home. I have water coming into the RV at the top of the stairs going into the master bedroom. It is not leaking down the wall, there is no apparent drips coming from the ceiling. It is dripping out from behind the trim next to the closet. I went on the roof and inspected the seams and popouts and thought I had found the issue. It looks like the seal at the the top of the popout is cracked. I ordered some caulk that was recommended by Heartland and while Im waiting for it to arrive I put a tarp over the popout. Well we had heavy rains overnight and once again we have a large amount of water coming in the same place.

So here is my question, Is there a good way to ID the source of the leak? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Mike

danemayer

Mike,

Take a look at how the top of the slide out is sitting. It should be slope slightly down to the outside so water runs off, not in.

Also, over the years I think there have been a few posts about water running down the wall of the slide, close to the seal, and making its way inside. A diagonal line of caulk can direct the stream of water to the outside instead of inside.

And if you have a window there, check for a good seal on the top and sides.

OSH4007

Mike,

Take a look at how the top of the slide out is sitting. It should be slope slightly down to the outside so water runs off, not in.

Also, over the years I think there have been a few posts about water running down the wall of the slide, close to the seal, and making its way inside. A diagonal line of caulk can direct the stream of water to the outside instead of inside.

And if you have a window there, check for a good seal on the top and sides.

As always great recommendations. Ill take a look tonight and see. I may adjust my jacks a bit to see if that helps.

Lou_and_Bette

I might be istaken, but isn't the Bathroom at the top of your stairs and next to the BR? I would check the water connection to your toilet. I have seen slow leaks in this connection that soak floors near that area. If it is the cause of your leak, there wouldn't be any signs of water dripping from the roof or on the walls.

OSH4007

I might be istaken, but isn't the Bathroom at the top of your stairs and next to the BR? I would check the water connection to your toilet. I have seen slow leaks in this connection that soak floors near that area. If it is the cause of your leak, there wouldn't be any signs of water dripping from the roof or on the walls.

You are correct but the water is dripping from the corner of the carpeted trim on the left side of the stairs. See the attached picture.

Attachments

• 20191125_202039.jpg
    20191125_202039.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 86

LBR

Isn't that spot in very close proximity to your UDC? If so, I would open up the back panel of the pass thru compartment (to access the UDC inside plumbing) and look for a little water leak....like a tiny stream spraying upward. It sounds like you are hooked up to city water this whole time?

donr827

No easy way to find the problem. Just check every water supply and drain fitting. Water also will migrate from the actual leak. Are you using a water pressure regulater in case you have high pressure in your water supply?

carl.swoyer

You are correct but the water is dripping from the corner of the carpeted trim on the left side of the stairs. See the attached picture.
On my Landmark Rushmore I had water coming in as well.
I ended up putting a small bead of silicone behind the flap seal on the lower outside corners of the slide. This caught any water that got behind the flap and direct it to the outer edge and forced it to drain out away from the camper. I'll attach a picture.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
d53f42347d25370adf956df32077d14a.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looking at your floorplan, two possibilities strike me. One is a leak at the window frame, coursing over to the slide. The other is the top and/or side seals on the slide are not properly deployed. Sometimes they don’t flex outward like they should when extending a slide, leaving gaps that water can find. Especially during driving rains with no slide topper over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary521

The roof material on the top of the slide is not sealed where it meets the top fascia. For some reason, this is not done. Heartland believes that the top seal will be enough. Well, it isn't. From the full open position, close the slide (which you are calling a pop out ) about a foot or so. You can get on a step ladder or something to see this gap. Fill the gap with Dicor self leveling compound. Go to any RV parts place to get this stuff so you don't have to wait for a delivery from Heartland.

NYSUPstater

My guess the door is to bathroom and slide is a closet slide. Basing this off our BC3560SS w/ slide in same location but don't think he has same type of full slide like we have.

Matt750

We have a 19’ CY 4007. One time during a camping trip we had very, very heavy rain (sometimes blowing against the slide out side of the camper). We had a small amount of water right where you are talking about (I can’t remember, but it may have been on both sides of that main slide, & I think I remember the inner bed slide was leaking a little too). I could not find the source, but my best guess was that it was running in off of the schwintek slide rails (if you don’t know, these are the rails attached to sides of the main & bed slides & have a machined gear surface). Again it was an extreme down pour with side wind blowing at the slides. Also, we had some water coming in at the garage windows as well. Let us know what you find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lndeatr

We are on our first trip with our new 4007 in Northern Ca. Had some pretty good rain and so far no detectable leaks. Looks like that is the corner of the bedroom slideout. Could be leaking anywhere along the top. Tough place to find the source.