Help!!!

Lndeatr

I am posting this in the general section because I'm hoping for a quick answer. We are going to pick up our new 4007 and trading in our 2017 1611. Of course the main slide stops working while it was closing. It is stuck at about one and a 1/2 feet out. The pump spins fir a few seconds and then starts clicking. I put the drill with the quarter inch bit on and the pump spins free and it feels like it is pushing fluid but nothing is happening. I used to work on hydraulic systems on tractors as well as the precision Ag electronic's so I'm versed in repairing the system but I cannot find anything that shows me a diverter valve between the leveling system and the slide outs. Does anyone have that information or some tips that they used when there's got stuck? Also, does someone need to be holding the switch when using the drill in manual over ride? Leveling system works fine.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Will the slide extend back out? Nothing underneath blocking it from moving inwards? Fluid level in the reservoir look right?

Lndeatr

Wont move in or out. Is the reservoir supposed to be to the top or does it need room for expansion?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

danemayer

When all slides and landing gear are completely retracted, the reservoir should not be full - maybe 1" below the top. When things are extended, the level will be lower.

For the manual procedure to work, where you're using a drill to turn the pump, you also MUST open a valve in order for fluid to flow. The valve is likely on or near the pump assembly, and can be opened by turning it clockwise with a 1/8" allen wrench. Don't forget to close it when done. There's a LIP sheet with the manual procedure, about half way down in this folder.

BUT, there are other things to check before going further.

Number 1 is to check inside and outside for possible physical blockage where something is keeping the slide from moving. Don't forget to look on top.

Do any other hydraulic components operate normally? Other slides? Landing gear? If they do, the problem is narrowed down and could just be a switch failure, or a wire that's come off the switch, or perhaps a valve failure.

Lndeatr

Hydraulic Slide stuck halfway on day it was going to be traded in. HELP!!

Really need help here. Was supposed to trade this in for a 2020 4007 this morning. Had to reschedule to 1 tomorrow hoping I figure this out and it is something simple.

2017 Cyclone 3611. Kitchen and living room slides work together. Never had an issue with the slide outs. This morning, when closing the slideouts, the living room stopped about a foot and a half from closing and the pump started clicking. Checked for obstructions and found none. Was able to successfully open both and try again but it stopped in the same place. Now it won’t open or close. When trying to open, the pump makes a clicking sound like the gears are jumping (safety feature?) and when closing it sounds normal like it is at the end of the cycle and I can see the kitchen slide tightening up.

I used to work on tractor hydraulic systems as well as precision ag electronics so I thought I would dig in. I checked the batteries and they have clean tight connections and are charged. Even jumped them with my F350. Same result. Downloaded several service pamphlets on the Lippert systems and directions for manual operation are to use the drill and ¼ bit. Unlike the leveling system, it does not tell you to open a valve. Tried manually spinning the pump and I can feel resistance both ways and there is no clicking but nothing moves. Leveling system works great. All the hydraulic lifts raise and lower fine. Confirmed the relay is energizing the pump in both directions. Even jumped directly from the positive on the battery to the pump. Get the same results. To me this rules out wiring or the relay. Pump runs the lifts fine too.

Am I missing something? Ram on the slideout locked up? Something on the runners or in the gearing for the slideout in the enclosed area binding? It’s pouring rain and I really can’t get under it to drop the bottom cover and look. I am thinking about taking the nut off the end of the ram and see if I can move the slideout and if not, the ram. I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is a picture of the manifold I have. It has three solenoids that I can manually open and one that I can’t. Does one go to the slideouts?

Manifold.jpg

danemayer

Does your levelup system work normally? If you don't have auto-levelup, do your front hydraulic landing gear work normally?

danemayer

If the hydraulics work ok for the landing gear or auto-leveling, that says that 1) the hydraulics motor and pump is working, 2) it's probably getting enough power, 3) some valves are working.

That isolates the slide problem to a valve issue or power to the valve issue, or a physical problem with the slide mechanism.

If the switch you're using for the failing slide also operates another slide, the next question is whether both slides are failing to move. If both are failing, that would argue the shared valve is not operating properly. That could be a problem at the switch, or a problem at the valve assembly.

The switch has 2 functions. One side causes the pump to get power. The other side opens the valve.

LBR

When the living room slide is coming in, is it straight, or is it coming in a bit crooked and the trailing end coming in last?

The hydraulic system may be OK, but the mechanics of the front to rear " rack and pinion" may be binding up.

While one person is retracting the slide switch, another person may try to push HARD from outside on the trailing end of slide to troubleshoot the F to R rack and pinion gearbox setup....hope this makes sense?

Lndeatr

When the living room slide is coming in, is it straight, or is it coming in a bit crooked and the trailing end coming in last?

The hydraulic system may be OK, but the mechanics of the front to rear " rack and pinion" may be binding up.

While one person is retracting the slide switch, another person may try to push HARD from outside on the trailing end of slide to troubleshoot the F to R rack and pinion gearbox setup....hope this makes sense?
It does and I was thinking the same thing. It really is acting like the slide is hung up. Had my wife helping today but it was pouring rain and cold. Wanted to get her back in the house. Gonna recruit some muscle tomorrow to help me. Appreciate the response.

Lndeatr

Another question. The kitchen opens first and closes first. Is the a pressure switch that diverts the pressure to the living room slide or is the order based on least resistance?

LBR

Another question. The kitchen opens first and closes first. Is the a pressure switch that diverts the pressure to the living room slide or is the order based on least resistance?

Order of least resistance. Same as the L or R hydraulic landing legs dropping/raising.

Lndeatr

Order of least resistance. Same as the L or R hydraulic landing legs dropping/raising.
Ok we are getting somewhere. I think the slide is definitely stuck. Gonna pull the bottom corner off tomorrow and see what I can see.

LBR

Ok we are getting somewhere. I think the slide is definitely stuck. Gonna pull the bottom corner off tomorrow and see what I can see.

Forgive me for my abruptness, but if my slide got hung up like you described, I would be thinking of a mechanical F to R issue.

I personally would do a 'shoulder body slam' into the trailing end of that slide... then try the retract switch again...lol. If it moves inward more, it's a successful troubleshooting ploy. If not, my shoulder hurts and time to go to plan B.

Lndeatr

Forgive me for my abruptness, but if my slide got hung up like you described, I would be thinking of a mechanical F to R issue.

I personally would do a 'shoulder body slam' into the trailing end of that slide... then try the retract switch again...lol. If it moves inward more, it's a successful troubleshooting ploy. If not, my shoulder hurts and time to go to plan B.
I'm 6'3", 240lbs and I tried that a couple times. Shoulder is sore and slide is still stuck. That's why I'm gonna get in there and go eyes on to see why it won't move before I try some more muscle..

jbeletti

I had this happen on my main kitchen slide once. The problem was the bracket broke that the ram piston was bolted to it - right behind the j-wrap.

Using an adjustable wrench, I cranked (and cranked a bunch more) on the square power transfer tube until I had cranked the slide in.

I later removed the assembly from the end of the ram and had a friend weld the broken tab.

Pics: https://beletti.smugmug.com/RV/RV-Repairs/Slide-Room-Gear-Rack-Head-Asse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lndeatr

I had this happen on my main kitchen slide once. The problem was the bracket broke that the ram piston was bolted to it - right behind the j-wrap.

Using an adjustable wrench, I cranked (and cranked a bunch more) on the square power transfer tube until I had cranked the slide in.

I later removed the assembly from the end of the ram and had a friend weld the broken tab.

Pics: https://beletti.smugmug.com/RV/RV-Repairs/Slide-Room-Gear-Rack-Head-Asse

Did the ram move though?

jbeletti

Yes - it moved freely and and out - but of course the room didn’t budge.

Lndeatr

Yes - it moved freely and and out - but of course the room didn’t budge.

As soon as it gets light here, I'm gonna dig into mine but the pump locks up on mine like its stuck.

jbeletti

If your room won’t move in or out, yet the other room on that valve does move fine, I’m wondering if you have a bad ram.

I can see the logic of some physical interference but both directions may rule that out.