adding door

yellowamc

so far in my building a better heartland we are moving along. I have removed complete bottom panel insulated all water lines tied up all wiring in an orderly fashion the on outer frame r40 insulation 12 inches in and r21 under complete floor leaveing air gap to not cause condensation problems. So far what a difference I'm in northern utah and only used 28 gallons of propane in a month and it's been cold. next move is actually a question that maybe someone can answer. I have a 2019 bighorn traveler 39fl. There is a big window just behind dining slide ha anyone removed a large window and replaced it with a door. in this unit u have to open center slides to access bathroom while traveling. seeing as how slides have failed on me once before I would love to put a door instead of window

sengli

Wow you might be the first to do such a thing. The walls arent what I refer to as that robust to begin with. Removing that much of a wall next to a slide could be very bad structurally. When these RV's walls are built they add extra meat in the form of welded in aluminum tubes to add strength to some high stress areas. Around windows and doors, where microwaves are mounted, etc.. In your case you dont have any way to add strength to that wall opening easily. I guess in the long run you can do what ever you want. How would you build in a jam, in that opening to support a door?

danemayer

On the floor plan, the window looks narrower than the entry door. If that's the case, to put in a standard entry door, you'd probably have to add a framing structure. There's some risk that the dining slide could put stress on your new structure. As there's no box underneath in which to mount traditional RV entry steps, you'd also likely have to add rigid steps like the Lippert Solid Step or MorRyde Step Above, or the new steps from Torklift.

carl.swoyer

I think its easier to push slide button out, go potty, and then button in. It only takes a moment.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

yellowamc

Wow you might be the first to do such a thing. The walls arent what I refer to as that robust to begin with. Removing that much of a wall next to a slide could be very bad structurally. When these RV's walls are built they add extra meat in the form of welded in aluminum tubes to add strength to some high stress areas. Around windows and doors, where microwaves are mounted, etc.. In your case you dont have any way to add strength to that wall opening easily. I guess in the long run you can do what ever you want. How would you build in a jam, in that opening to support a door?

in this unit as others when it's a bit cold out u can see the framework the window again have to measure has a full frame built around and side rails that go completely to the floor. there Is another heartland model with door in this location and being in production as service tech I'm familiar processes to standardize things for faster output. of products. the main door is 36 inches I'm thinking I can get a door that is 28 and use the same siderailes. if need I can tig weld support at the bottom to support threshold and step mount. we have had some problems with the unit one some what major and that was slide cylinder on center sled falling off preventing access to bathroom that's what got me thinking of this. I'm not really sure how much aluminum is in the walls of this unit. over all we love the floor plan this is only major thing pushing me to trade already but the wife loves the unit. also looking to upgrade suspension. we made a trip to NY with unit would like to take out some of the bounce. I recently bought another 5th for just camping it's a 2000 cameo came equipped with shocks seems to make a huge difference

- - - Updated - - -

On the floor plan, the window looks narrower than the entry door. If that's the case, to put in a standard entry door, you'd probably have to add a framing structure. There's some risk that the dining slide could put stress on your new structure. As there's no box underneath in which to mount traditional RV entry steps, you'd also likely have to add rigid steps like the Lippert Solid Step or MorRyde Step Above, or the new steps from Torklift.[/QUOTE

that's what I was thinking I believe I can purchase a door as small as 28 inches and as u said go with lippert fold down steps. that addition is being done to main steps as well they are much more stable and would allow me to remove factory steps and fabricate storage box for that area

- - - Updated - - -

I think its easier to push slide button out, go potty, and then button in. It only takes a moment.

You are correct

You are correct however when your slide cylinder comes unbolted on the road on a trip as mine did you have no access to either restroom or bedroom

- - - Updated - - -

On the floor plan, the window looks narrower than the entry door. If that's the case, to put in a standard entry door, you'd probably have to add a framing structure. There's some risk that the dining slide could put stress on your new structure. As there's no box underneath in which to mount traditional RV entry steps, you'd also likely have to add rigid steps like the Lippert Solid Step or MorRyde Step Above, or the new steps from Torklift.

Also looking at it in the cold I can see frame for window does completely to the floor. Heartland makes another model with similar floor plan I wanna say it was a gateway that has a smaller door in that spot.

carl.swoyer

in this unit as others when it's a bit cold out u can see the framework the window again have to measure has a full frame built around and side rails that go completely to the floor. there Is another heartland model with door in this location and being in production as service tech I'm familiar processes to standardize things for faster output. of products. the main door is 36 inches I'm thinking I can get a door that is 28 and use the same siderailes. if need I can tig weld support at the bottom to support threshold and step mount. we have had some problems with the unit one some what major and that was slide cylinder on center sled falling off preventing access to bathroom that's what got me thinking of this. I'm not really sure how much aluminum is in the walls of this unit. over all we love the floor plan this is only major thing pushing me to trade already but the wife loves the unit. also looking to upgrade suspension. we made a trip to NY with unit would like to take out some of the bounce. I recently bought another 5th for just camping it's a 2000 cameo came equipped with shocks seems to make a huge difference

- - - Updated - - -

On the floor plan, the window looks narrower than the entry door. If that's the case, to put in a standard entry door, you'd probably have to add a framing structure. There's some risk that the dining slide could put stress on your new structure. As there's no box underneath in which to mount traditional RV entry steps, you'd also likely have to add rigid steps like the Lippert Solid Step or MorRyde Step Above, or the new steps from Torklift.[/QUOTE

that's what I was thinking I believe I can purchase a door as small as 28 inches and as u said go with lippert fold down steps. that addition is being done to main steps as well they are much more stable and would allow me to remove factory steps and fabricate storage box for that area

- - - Updated - - -

You are correct however when your slide cylinder comes unbolted on the road on a trip as mine did you have no access to either restroom or bedroom

- - - Updated - - -

Also looking at it in the cold I can see frame for window does completely to the floor. Heartland makes another model with similar floor plan I wanna say it was a gateway that has a smaller door in that spot.
Well I apologise! Lol
I must have missed that important piece of information. Geeze I got to go pee