truck mods

A

albauer24

towing the 24bunk house with a 1500 ram quad cab with the 5.7

have done the following
installed a k&n air filter
installed bilstien 5100 shocks front and rear
upgraded the sway bars(front and rear) to helwig bars

after the suspension upgrade noticed a lot more stable ride while towing.
am till going to add some timbren rear suspension springs to help with the tongue weight.
since i dont tow allthe time, airbags dont seem to be a option.

mwc

Hi there,
Solid mods there but I may be confused. I would think if you dont tow all the time that air bags would be your best option? I tow my Cyclone with a gmc 2500 and added air bags and I love them. I only tow when im camping so I let the air out all other times for a much nicer ride.

WillyBill

Hi there,
Solid mods there but I may be confused. I would think if you dont tow all the time that air bags would be your best option? I tow my Cyclone with a gmc 2500 and added air bags and I love them. I only tow when im camping so I let the air out all other times for a much nicer ride.

Air bags are adjustable for different loads. Perfect for on-off with a trailer. Just leave 5 lbs of air in them when not loaded. Timbrens are not adjustable qnd make the truck ride substandard qt best. Air bags do cost more but there is a reason they are the goto for our Heartlland owners members.

WB

mlpeloquin

Run the air bags with 10psi when you have no load. Not a problem. I measured the spring to overloads distance using a caliper. Then once loaded, I increased the air pressure until that distance was the same. Had independent wheel weigh done twice and the front truck wheels were within 100 psi loaded and unloaded. Another plus is that this keeps your headlights at the proper level as to not blind oncoming traffic.

CarterKraft

Air bags are adjustable for different loads. Perfect for on-off with a trailer. Just leave 5 lbs of air in them when not loaded. Timbrens are not adjustable qnd make the truck ride substandard qt best. Air bags do cost more but there is a reason they are the goto for our Heartlland owners members.

WB

Have you use Timbrens or equivalent?
I find it the opposite and excellent for a part time two rig.

WillyBill

Have you use Timbrens or equivalent?
I find it the opposite and excellent for a part time two rig.

Yes I have. They effectively shorten the rear axle travel. IMHO - for towing first class equipment is far better when all aspects are considered. If you try air bags on your truck you will never go back - I promise. As I stated before - there is a reason the bags are the solution of choice for the overwhelming majority of our members. BTW - if Timbrens are so great then why are they not used on Class 5 & 8 Diesel trucks instead of air bags? Just sayin...

WB

I looked at all the options for upgrading the suspension on my 2013 1500 Ram Laramie. Considered the Timbrens, and the other jounce replacements, but as others have said, wanted something adjustable.
Settled on the Air Lift 5000's. I bought mine from E-bay for 248.01 shipped free to my door. The kit that I bought requires removing the jounce bumper, and then removing the jounce bumper mount. Well decided to use this model as I don't plan on going back to jounce bumpers, and it seems to me that it gives the air bags greater area to operate.
They are a little more complicated to install, but hey this old, (almost 76 year old retired Marine), did the installation in my driveway, also installed my 5th wheel hitch myself, but thats another story :)
Anyhow, you have to raise the truck enough to allow the stock suspension to swing free to be able to remove the springs. Make sure you have a paint marker on hand and dab the spring and the lower spring mount before you remove them so you can reinstall them correctly, important! Also prior to removing the spring, you must remove the lower shock mount bolt to allow enough suspension travel to release the stock spring. At some point you may have to remove the wheel/tire for additional work area. And you have to have a good cut off grinder available to cut the welds off the old jounce bumper mount and grind the welds down flat. IMPORTANT.
As the kit is sent to you, it is set up to be independly adjustable on each side, so uneven loads could be adjusted. Well I determined that I didn't need that, so went to my local NAPA and bought a T, quick connect and that allows only one air line to adjust both bags the same. The kit has really good instructions but some things are learned by experience.
The plastic 1/4 inch air lines with a little modification will ensure that they don't leak. Use a heat gun, or your wife's hair dryer and heat the ends of the line, careful doesn't require a lot, experiment on a scrap piece first. Then get a blunt end drift and push it into the heated line, allow it to cool, when you remove the drift, you should feel a little shoulder on the line, when you insert it into the quick connect fitting now it won't leak, at least that's the way it worked for me.
I'm gonna try and post some pictures of the project, so here goes. Sorry about the ones that came out upside down, guess that's what happens when you are laying on your back :)

Attachments

• IMG_0822.JPG
    IMG_0822.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0836.JPG
    IMG_0836.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0841.JPG
    IMG_0841.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 34

WillyBill

Good Job Mr., Nice coverage /post of the install too! You'll be very glad that you went with this particular kit too.

WB

Last edited:

jnbhobe

The only thing I would change would be to use two lines on the bags so they don't force the air back and forth between the left and right making the truck unstable.

Good Job Mr., Nice coverage /post of the install too! You'll be very glad that you went with this particular kit too.

WB
Thanks Bill yes we really like them.

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing I would change would be to use two lines on the bags so they don't force the air back and forth between the left and right making the truck unstable.

Don't find that to be a problem, many are installed this way for use with the compressor and controller to provide air to both bags at the same time, with a gauge on your dash which is the way I plan to go in the near future. :)

SNOKING

towing the 24bunk house with a 1500 ram quad cab with the 5.7

have done the following
installed a k&n air filter
installed bilstien 5100 shocks front and rear
upgraded the sway bars(front and rear) to helwig bars

after the suspension upgrade noticed a lot more stable ride while towing.
am till going to add some timbren rear suspension springs to help with the tongue weight.
since i dont tow allthe time, airbags dont seem to be a option.

Do your engine a favor and throw away the K&N and put a stock filter in the air box!

mlpeloquin

K&N filters have better air flow because it has larger openings in the filter to allow more air to get in. This also allows fine dirt to get past into your engine. It is up to you, but....