Purchaser outside state

ILH

Hi folks,

My wife and I purchased a new Landmark from a dealer while at the Hershey RV show in September. The RV is now in, and we're heading to the dealer soon to finalize payment.

Here's the issue... The dealer is in New York State. We live in Ontario. Our insurance broker advised us that we cannot get insurance on the new rig until it is plated in Ontario. But we can't plate it until it is inspected in Ontario.

I'm currently looking into getting insurance from a NY agent while the rig is on the lot and for the trip into Ontario.

Has anybody had experience with this kind of issue?

WillyBill

Most states have a "temp" plate good for 15-20 days for a modest charge. Your agent may be able to give you a temporary "Binder" of coverage until your registration is done. Don't let the dealer charge NY Sales tax. It's rediculous!

WB

'Lil Guy'

Don't know the distance involved, but you might ask your dealer to have it shipped to you with their plates. If you haven't finalized the deal, it might be worth asking. You might also ask the dealer to discount the rig enough to cover the double dip. They've got money in these rigs to deal. Good luck in your endeavor.

GregP

We live in Ontario and purchased our 2014 Bighorn new in Minnesota. We made arrangements (by phone) with our insurance company here to cover the new trailer from delivery in Minnesota to our residence in Ontario and only needed the VIN off of the trailer and vehicle descriptors. There is other paper work required for import of the trailer into Canada, but we had no issues either with insurance or licensing after import. If you haven't done so already, you should check with Canada Customs. They will advise you of what you need to import the vehicle. You do not have to pay State tax on the trailer as it is being exported, but you might have to pay at time of purchase and apply for a rebate later.

CDN

B and B
I would add that Ontario Tax might be payable on transfer of title from NY state temp plate to Ontario Plate. Might want to check this with your local MTO office.

ILH

I would add that Ontario Tax might be payable on transfer of title from NY state temp plate to Ontario Plate. Might want to check this with your local MTO office.

Yes, Ontario tax is payable when the RV is brought into Ontario. The process of importing an RV is rather well layed out on the CRA and MTO web sites.

Also, the dealer is NY is NOT charging us New York State sales tax. The dealer is issuing a 30 day temporary plate for the RV so that we can remove it from the state.

Mark-Roberta 051995

On a side note: You purchased this camper at the Hershey show from a dealer that was in New York?

We are headed to the show this September - how was the experience. Feel free to PM or explain here.

Thanks,

Mark

danemayer

If Canadian insurance is like insurance in the U.S., the truck liability covers damage you might cause to others. Collision and Comprehensive coverage protects against other losses.

Maybe you need to shop RV insurance companies to see if others will provide Collision and Comprehensive coverages on the way to Canada.

rhodies1

Hi folks,

My wife and I purchased a new Landmark from a dealer while at the Hershey RV show in September. The RV is now in, and we're heading to the dealer soon to finalize payment.

Here's the issue... The dealer is in New York State. We live in Ontario. Our insurance broker advised us that we cannot get insurance on the new rig until it is plated in Ontario. But we can't plate it until it is inspected in Ontario.

I'm currently looking into getting insurance from a NY agent while the rig is on the lot and for the trip into Ontario.

Has anybody had experience with this kind of issue?

I imported my Bighorn from Michigan..heres the paperwork and process that will take place for importation by Canada Customs... this is what I required".....

you will need the following 3 pcs of documentation for processing at the border..
1 - Bill of Sale
2- Country of manufacture
3 - letter from Heartland stating this model of trailer has NO safety issues listed with the NHTSB ..based on the year of trailer.

When you arrive at Customs they will make you pay the 5 % portion of the GST at border,,also your units price will be converted from US dollars to Canadian dollars..When you register the unit in Ontario, they will charge the remaining tax at this time.
Also if you and your better half are bringing back the unit, you each can declare the 800 dollar personal exception from the cost of the trailer at the border crossing.
Also if you trade a unit in on this new unit, you will pay the tax on the full amount of the new unit NOT the difference in price.
You will most likely be required to purchase an RVIA sticker for use in Canada and their will be paperwork which will need to be completed by Canadian Tire. Yes ..this is not a typo. CanDa Customs will give you this form. The cost was 195:00 plus tax for this. Complete crap but was forced to have it. You’ll get a little sticker to put on trailer ,this states it is Canadian Compliant.

Sounds like a lot of work but goes really easy. Have fun.

rhodies1

I imported my Bighorn from Michigan..heres the paperwork and process that will take place for importation by Canada Customs... this is what I required".....

you will need the following 3 pcs of documentation for processing at the border..
1 - Bill of Sale
3 - letter from Heartland stating this model of trailer has NO safety issues listed with the NHTSB ..based on the year of trailer.

When you arrive at Customs they will make you pay the 5 % portion of the GST at border,,also your units price will be converted from US dollars to Canadian dollars..When you register the unit in Ontario, they will charge the remaining tax at this time.
Also if you and your better half are bringing back the unit, you each can declare the 800 dollar personal exception from the cost of the trailer at the border crossing.
Also if you trade a unit in on this new unit, you will pay the tax on the full amount of the new unit NOT the difference in price.
You will most likely be required to purchase an RVIA sticker for use in Canada and their will be paperwork which will need to be completed by Canadian Tire. Yes ..this is not a typo. CanDa Customs will give you this form. The cost was 195:00 plus tax for this. Complete crap but was forced to have it. You’ll get a little sticker to put on trailer ,this states it is Canadian Compliant.

Also with respect to insurance ...some insurance companies cover your unit under your household plan for damages or loss to your unit.your vehicle insurance covers the unit when it’s in tow if you damage someone else’s property.
Check with your insurance company to see if you are covered to bring it back under your household plan

ILH

Also with respect to insurance ...some insurance companies cover your unit under your household plan for damages or loss to your unit.your vehicle insurance covers the unit when it’s in tow if you damage someone else’s property.
Check with your insurance company to see if you are covered to bring it back under your household plan

We've already had several discussions with our Ontario insurance broker. We've always maintained separate insurance for our RV that was more comprehensive than that offered through the auto or household.

- - - Updated - - -

1 - Bill of Sale

Thanks for the detail. We almost pulled the trigger on a trailer back in May from a dealer in Michigan - at that time we went through all the procedures. The major dealers near the border are quite versed in the procedures to bring RVs across the border. And yes, we were aware that trade-ins DO NOT reduce the value on which you pay tax. Sucks. It was one of the reasons we decided not to take our current rig into NY to do the trade - it would have involved even more paperwork at the border.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders

I have been an insurance broker for over 30 years. I don't know of one Insurance company that will cover an RV on their home owners policy. Home owners policies can cover thing like garden tractors but nothing with a vin number. You always need to have it either on a stand alone policy or as a part of your auto policy.

rhodies1

I have been an insurance broker for over 30 years. I don't know of one Insurance company that will cover an RV on their home owners policy. Home owners policies can cover thing like garden tractors but nothing with a vin number. You always need to have it either on a stand alone policy or as a part of your auto policy.

they do in Canada

CDN

B and B
My Landmark is attached to my Homeowners Policy, always have had trailers on Homeowners policy, even park models. When not hitched and rolling. When hitched and rolling it has its own liability policy. When I dicussed this with my broker having both covered a detached trailer rolling and causing damage.

In Canada as well.

Brian