King Pin Stabilizer and Slideout Supports

BST

Hi all!

i’m looking for advice/wisdom. I’m thinking of purchasing a king pin stabilizer and a pair of slideout supports. I have a few questions:

1) For those that are using or have used a king pin stabilizer, does it perform as intended, does it underperform, or is a king pin stabilizer necessary? If you feel the king pin stabilizer is necessary, what mfg/model do you recommend?

2) Ditto above for slideout supports.

Thank you in advance for your opinions and wisdom😊

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I used a tripod stabilizer under the kingpin and it did nothing for stabilization when I had a Bighorn without Level-Up hydraulic levelers. Since buying a Landmark with Level-Up, there is no need.

I have never used slide-out supports. If you were using them and the tires went flat or the ground sunk in a heavy rain, you could be supporting the weight of the trailer on a single point of support under your slide and I don't want to take that chance.

danemayer

If you're trying to eliminate side-to-side movement, and you already have 6 point levelup, you might consider adding stabilizers like these at the back. Our 39' Landmark has 4 point levelup with those stabilizers at the rear and we're pretty solid. We get a little motion when the washing machine is on spin cycle.

X-chocks may also help.

Garypowell

When we traveled I used a king pin stabilizer for about 10 years. We have a 2013 model without level up.

to m e the trick was once I was happy with the level all the way around with the nose just a little high I would set up the pin stabilizer and screw it up as tight as I could get it. Then I’d bump the nose down to put more pressure on the device.....always pleased with the results

your in a different world with level up and I am not sure if you can use it as described.

now that the rig is up on blocks (I have even lowered the air pressure in the tires I do use room stabilizer jacks but I don’t think they are a good idea if you are parked normally as mentioned by others.

BarbandFrank

We are full time in a 42+ foot Landmark with the 6 point level up system and four slides. We don’t use any type of tripod or slide stabilizers - we haven’t felt the need. We do have have the X chocks - but rarely use them.

Thinking back to the 2019 Heartland National Rally in Goshen - there were a lot of big 5ers- and I don’t recall seeing any stabilizers. We are currently at an RV resort now in Arizona and we are surrounded by big rigs including DRV’s, a few Landmarks and a couple of New Horizons - and none have stabilizers.

Good luck.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I used to use the slide out stabilizers on a previous TT I had with a big, heavy slide.

I loved them!

The flat tire theory is just as flat because if all of your other stabilizers are out, then a flat tire will not make your RV lower itself.

Chances are you would not discover the flat tire until you bring your other stabilizers up, and common sense dictates removing the slide out stabilizers before raising any of the other stabilizers.

TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095110323.jpg

Click on photo to enlarge

Oldelevatorman

Of the 4 Heartland rallies we’ve been to, I haven’t seen a single slide out stabiliser or tripod on a kingpin! IMO they aren’t necessary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Finally broke down and put a kingpin stabilizer on last summer. It did help with some of the vibration from the Splendide combo in the nose of the rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niles

We don't use one when just weekend camping or short periods. However, we're in AZ also, when we set up for longer periods like here in the winter we do use one. This year mine had a issue so I didn't bring it, I'm missing it. It just gives a little bit more support, and just a little less wiggle in the trailer. I've used a BAL brand and always been happy with it. And I do have hyd levelers on the trailer. Also use the chocks in between wheels, any and all things that take the wiggle from a trailer is a good thing IMO. Of course putting it up on blocks would solve all wiggle problems, but hard to tow.:)

BST

Thank you all for your wisdom and input! It was very helpful, and based on your input I have decided not to purchase the stabilizer and supports. Hope you has a wonderful Christmas and wishing you a Happy New Year!