Leaking Atwood water heater

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We noticed a few months ago that there was some water in the basement, we thought was rain water coming in from the basement door.

Today however we discovered the source. Looks like we have a leak on our inlet side of the Atwood water heater, a pinhole leak in the part that connects to the pex. It’s not the fitting, but actually on the tank inlet. You can see the corrosion from minerals in our water, it’s been doing this a while, apparently!

Any way to repair this? We depart in 3 days for a trip to freezing temps.

72fbb71fdc772f5a92b688135c26635e.jpg
640fac14ad9645339072a136e4925264.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrisandsama

Being that close to leaving I think I would wait and fix it after you get back. If something doesn't go as planned on repairs at least you won't be without hot water. Is it possible to get it braised? I'm not sure if that material can be braised or not.

danemayer

Can you tell exactly where the water is coming out? A hole in the exterior of the pipe coming out of the water heater tank seems unusual. Perhaps a leak where the pipe is attached to the tank?

TravelTiger

Can you tell exactly where the water is coming out? A hole in the exterior of the pipe coming out of the water heater tank seems unusual. Perhaps a leak where the pipe is attached to the tank?

Dan at first I thought it was the fitting. I watched it drip and investigated for about 15 minutes, trying to make sure it really was the fitting. But when I put a small piece of paper towel over the circled area and it slowly became wet. I watched the area carefully and saw the droplet form and run down to the bottom of the “silver part” and then drip. The fitting itself (where the white Teflon tape is) shows no evidence of deposits and was not wet.

c7a4aabd295bb719c333708e0dbfd289.jpg

LBR

Looks like aluminium as shiny as it is.... boss possible was stressed when fitting was put in too tightly or with too many wraps of tape.

I would shut off water, then drain heater down below that level for repair. Lightly scrape/wire brush the stained area, chemically clean, and then mix a 2 part repair, such as JB Weld, or equivalent.

donr827

Seeing that you are leaving in three days I would use a pan to catch the drip and empty as often as needed until you have the time to repair.

HOGHAULER

We noticed a few months ago that there was some water in the basement, we thought was rain water coming in from the basement door. Today however we discovered the source. Looks like we have a leak on our inlet side of the Atwood water heater, a pinhole leak in the part that connects to the pex. It’s not the fitting, but actually on the tank inlet. You can see the corrosion from minerals in our water, it’s been doing this a while, apparently!Any way to repair this? We depart in 3 days for a trip to freezing temps.

Looks to be a electrolysis pin hole most likely from corrosion between alum. tank and brass fitting, Teflon tape not very successful at being a insulator. A nylon fitting into tank to water input line wound be best choice.
Do google search for effects of electrolysis from dissimilar metals (especially) Aluminum.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the rescue tape, but didn’t see the suggestion for the clamp. The leak is worse when using the hot water, and the leak came back both attempts with the tape. Will try the JB weld tomorrow.

david-steph2018

You may need to bite the bullet and replace the tank before you go out.
But I have used the patch, with the rubber seal inside as an emergency repair. If you can get one short enough in length it may work to temporary stop the leak.

Flick

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the rescue tape, but didn’t see the suggestion for the clamp. The leak is worse when using the hot water, and the leak came back both attempts with the tape. Will try the JB weld tomorrow.

If you do use the jb weld, couple of things to keep in mind. The area really needs to be cleaned with a wire brush or sandpaper thoroughly. When you do this, the area will open up more, which is good because more of the weld can get into the hole. Mix the mixture and put it on the spot. It will try to run down so to avoid this, put a piece of duct tape over it to hold the mixture in place. The more you put on the better. Go as wide as you can around the whole. It has to set without being disturbed overnight. And don’t forget, take all the pressure of the tank and dry the spot good with a high heat hair dryer or heater. This stuff will work to get you by.

TravelTiger

We used JB weld putty, which held for a bit but ended up still slowly leaking. Wrapped the stuffin’ out of it with Rescue Tape, hoping this will get us by. since we live in it fulltime, it’s not easy to be without hot water.

286e71387405c4bc60aada42bb3e9e1e.jpeg

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Yes, it can be repaired. I replaced the plastic fitting. You must use regular pipe dope on the threads and not Teflon tape. You can find the plastic fitting at most RV stores.

TravelTiger

Yes, it can be repaired. I replaced the plastic fitting. You must use regular pipe dope on the threads and not Teflon tape. You can find the plastic fitting at most RV stores.

Hey Orville, thanks for the info. It’s not the fitting that’s leaking, it’s a pinhole in the nipple from the tank to the fitting.

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
That’s the fitting hat we replaced for the same reasons.

carl.swoyer

We noticed a few months ago that there was some water in the basement, we thought was rain water coming in from the basement door.

Today however we discovered the source. Looks like we have a leak on our inlet side of the Atwood water heater, a pinhole leak in the part that connects to the pex. It’s not the fitting, but actually on the tank inlet. You can see the corrosion from minerals in our water, it’s been doing this a while, apparently!

Any way to repair this? We depart in 3 days for a trip to freezing temps.

72fbb71fdc772f5a92b688135c26635e.jpg
640fac14ad9645339072a136e4925264.jpg

Travel tiger
Last year I had the same issue. Mine was on the weld at the top.
I opted for the replacement.
After exhausted searching heartland parts provided the best price. It wasn't very difficult. I did take before photos.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk