Gatlinburg, TN

NYSUPstater

We are toying with this area for our summer vaykay. Any help would be greatly appreciated as to campgrounds, sights, attractions etc.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Gatlinburg is kind of limited on campground that will accomdate big rigs. We stay in Sevierville/Pigeon Forge area which has many choices but these would be the ones I would recommend.
1. River Plantation
2. The Ridge Outdoor Resort which is brand new built by the former owners of River Plantation.

Good luck

Kbvols

There is wide range of activities in this area , Dollywood , Smokies National park, music shows, diner theaters, Suspension Bridge, Hikimg, moonshine tasting, go-karts on and on.... we go for a week every year always something new to see and do.

As for camping we stay in piegeon forge as it is most central for whaT we like to do. We have stayed at Riversedge, Pine Mountain, Koa, River plantation. As with anything all have pros and cons. Bear Cove is nice looking park as is the Ridge which is new. Most of the parks are fairly close space wise.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rdufek

Mike,

We stayed @ River Plantation for the SE Regional Rally a few years back, it's a great campground and the rates are fantastic compared to the NE campgrounds. The smokey mountains are beautiful, there is a self driving tour you can take coming out of Gatlinburg. Moonshine is definitely their thing, lots of flavors and free tastings all over the place, pace yourself :rolleyes: lol. Check out the Bush's baked bean retail/tour location, it was good. Dinner shows are great in addition to the other stuff KBLOVS mentioned.

Mike-n-Justina

If you want to stay in Gatlinburg, we have stayed at Twin Creek RV Resort. The shuttle picks you up right at the campground and takes you to downtown Gatlinburg. Really nice because parking a dually can be a pain there. There is a grocery store across the street which is real convenient.

Kbvols

Awesome!! I hope you love the area we sure do. What RV park did you decide on?

hut

Looks like you have some good suggestions for parking; now, let’s talk FOOD! 🤪🤪

Smoky Mountain Brewery (we like Gatlinburg the best) for pizza. The Old Mill and Applewood Farmhouse for home style cooking. If you get out to Townsend, Trailhead Steakhouse. For a good ol’ corndog: Fannie Farkles in G’burg. I could go on and on! 😂😂

TXgearhead

We stayed in Gatlinburg once, hopefully never again.
But we do like the Townsend area. When we go back it will be at [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.upthecreekrvcamp.com/[/FONT]

NYSUPstater

Awesome!! I hope you love the area we sure do. What RV park did you decide on?

River Plantation and ours friends may be there w/ us----dunno yet.

Hut--Great suggestions on the food. Use to be a pizza joint enroute to Kodak area years ago we got it from when visiting DW's bro and family. Like '03 area. Will keep all places in mind.

1st time down there for us w/ RV.

TXgearhead

Short answer....people.
Waaay too many people.

It's not that I don't like people. There's just so many there that it creates bad traffic congestion and people congestion.

The last 3 times we went we stayed in the Townsend area and never went back to Gatlinburg itself. We have been going in Spring and Fall which helps with the weather and people as well. About 6 years ago we stayed in Gatlinburg at, I think, "Camping in the Smokies" CG. Traffic and road noise. Terrible. Then went to Townsend at Cove Mountain CG which was fine except someone was doing rifle target practice next door. Then 2 times at Cove Creek CG; was decent and right next to an entrance to the park. The last trip there we discovered "Up the Creek" CG. We haven't stayed there yet.

I'll say that I'm not into touristy stuff. I go there mostly to fish and spend time in the park. Nothing wrong with whatever you go there for. I'm not being judgemental.

NP_Chief

I was just asking for future reference. We have been a few times in the spring and stayed in a cabin at Wears Valley. We prefer Gatlinburg over Pigeon Forge because of the reasons you mentioned. Every time we have been, there have way more people in the Pigeon Forge area. I am trying to talk the wifey into a 2021 camping trip to the area and will check out the Townsend area. Thanks for the info.