hitch weight 3675
looking at ford 250 6.7 diesel and 6.2 v8
not sure this will be enough truck
Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to this great forum.
With a GVWR of 16,500 I would definitely be looking at a dually. You could get a SRW but I can tell you from experience that a dually well be much better suited for that trailer.
Others may disagree.
Be sure to check the links in my signature and consider joining the Heartland Owners Club, it's free! You might also check the events tab at the top of this page and sign up for the Wisconsin chapter rally at the Dell's this coming August.

Peace
Dave

mlpeloquin

not new to camping have a travel trailer just bought a bighorn 3950fl
need help what size truck do I need
dry weight 14238
GVWR 16500
hitch weight 3675
looking at ford 250 6.7 diesel and 6.2 v8
not sure this will be enough truck
Thanks

Just remember you can never have to much truck, but often have not enough. Get a diesel dully F350, or GMC/Chevy3500 dully, or Dodge RAM 3500 dully. You will not be sorry. Never think that you would not pull anything heaver, because many say it and have to get another truck. i am not going to argue brand. It is up to you.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
A good way to determine the truck you need is to learn how to do the math.

Here’s a helpful site: www.fifthwheelst.com

Developed by a fellow Heartland Owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fox

A GVWR of 16500 will (when properly loaded) give you a pin weight up to 4125. That requires a dually.
Fords largest gas engines will pull it but diesels (while expensive) are preferred by most.

I have nearly the same fifth wheel (see below). Had I been able to find an F450 (additional braking/ stronger tires) that is what I would have went with.

But F250? No way.

Last edited:

danemayer

Forget pulling a 16,500 GVWR rig with a gasser. As the dealer should tell you, when towing, it'll pass anything except a gas station.

NYSUPstater

Just remember you can never have to much truck, but often have not enough. Get a diesel dully F350, or GMC/Chevy3500 dully, or Dodge RAM 3500 dully. You will not be sorry. Never think that you would not pull anything heaver, because many say it and have to get another truck. i am not going to argue brand. It is up to you.

Exactly what he said!! Thought when we bought a '15 F350 SRW diesel, SB, CC,4x4 it would be the last truck we got and truck 'nuff for rig we had or would get.Well in theory, it did work GREAT for coach we had at the same time as it had a max wt of 13,800 and pin of 2000. Felt like Symba from the "Lion King" laughing at the face of towing. 2 years later we upgraded RV's where the max wt is 16K (15,980 fully loaded), pin of 3700 (loaded) so needless to say we were over across the board for the '15 F350. Local towing or that of say few hundred miles was okay, but summer of '18 plans had us going to FL in Aug! Being over on things was one thing, but being over on the truck's tires really bothered me. So like everyone has said, above regarding your question, get a dually. We bought one in spring of '18 (truck was leftover '17). Handles the coach like a dream. Wife feels much more at ease driving it w/ the 5er than she did the '15. Here it is almost 2 years of ownership and I have yet to weigh it, BUT did take some scrap metal to metal place and scale said mid 9,000 range so add this to the 5er and I'm around 25-26,000 lbs.

Yes the 6.7 in a 250 would pull it as it's the same 6.7 that's in a 350. Safety wise, get the 350 from any of the big 3.

carl.swoyer

Duramax dually !
Forget gas
Other folks with Dodge and Ford can chime in.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

NP_Chief

Forget pulling a 16,500 GVWR rig with a gasser. As the dealer should tell you, when towing, it'll pass anything except a gas station.

I pull with a Ford V10 and can attest to the above statement. I average 8-10 mpg towing my rig depending on the terrain.

carl.swoyer

I would never tow with anything less than a 3500 diesel.
My previous truck was a 2500 hd Duramax.
My current truck is a 2015 Silverado Duramax dually cc lb hd Ltz.
The importance of being able to quickly and safely stop the fifth wheel is paramount.
We recently drove from FL to yellowstone national park and big horn national park.
The truck did all the work pertaining to steep grade breaking.
Simply set the cruise and the truck kept my at or under my desired speed.
A lot of folks may have a different opinion, but having towed the same camper with both trucks the 3500? I should have bought it years ago. .

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

I believe all the newer Generous Motors diesels 2500 or 3500 are equipped with an exhaust break. No one should be trying to stop a large trailer with vehicle breaks. It's against the law.

GK2018

Speaking from experience on owning several 250/2500 and 350/3500 single rear tires and duallys from early the 90's to 2019 I'd most definitely recommend a 350/3500 dually and newer with the exhaust brake. It's a remarkable difference but with that said if your only pulling it to the lake every once in awhile a single rear wheel 250/2500 should do you just fine. Biggest takeaway in my opinion though is to ignore all of our opinions do what Erica said by doing the math and you'll be good to go!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

zolman

If you get a 2020 GMC or Chevy 1 ton Duramax SRW you don't need a dually. Duallys are a pain for anything other then towing a huge trailer. They are a pain to park, maneuver in traffic and burn more fuel.

A 2020 GM 1 ton SRW would easily handle your trailer and the camera system is fantastic. My Cyclone 3600 (17,300 when loaded) tows fantastic behind my 2020 Denali duramax. Its like the trailer is not even there. My wife will even drive it and she's not an adventurous driver. I did add a Demco 21,000 slider and a 5th Airborne 21,000 pin box.

5th wheel towing capacity - 21,500
payload capacity - 4,185
GCWR - 29,700
curb weight -7,548

With your GVWR of 16,000 plus GM 1 ton curb weight of 7,548 = 23,548 you have a 6,000 lbs to spare.

NYSUPstater

If you get a 2020 GMC or Chevy 1 ton Duramax SRW you don't need a dually. Duallys are a pain for anything other then towing a huge trailer. They are a pain to park, maneuver in traffic and burn more fuel.

A 2020 GM 1 ton SRW would easily handle your trailer and the camera system is fantastic. My Cyclone 3600 (17,300 when loaded) tows fantastic behind my 2020 Denali duramax. Its like the trailer is not even there. My wife will even drive it and she's not an adventurous driver. I did add a Demco 21,000 slider and a 5th Airborne 21,000 pin box.

payload capacity - 4,185
GCWR - 29,700
curb weight -7,548

With your GVWR of 16,000 plus GM 1 ton curb weight of 7,548 = 23,548 you have a 6,000 lbs to spare.

I agree somewhat with your statement about being a pain at times w/ DRW and they stink in snow. HOWEVER, IMO I don't think any of the mfr's '20 SRW trucks despite their ratings is a safe bet towing above 15,000. IF and I say IF you are local towing or couple times a year, they by all means a SRW will do. You list your weights to some degree, BUT what are the weights with and without the trailer? Pin weight? How much is left on truck's payload? What is tire capacity? I do not argue one bit that a 250/2500 or 350/3500 SRW diesel has the power to tow unGodly weight, but as everyone has said, stopping it is another thing and if you get into a wreck and your overweight cuz some sue happy att'y WILL look at everything. FWIW, I read where the see thru camera from GM may not work on trailers over "X" feet. Not sure if it's true or not.

I had what I thought was going to be 'nuff truck w/ a '15 F350 SRW diesel, but found out I was at max across the board towing a 16,000 (max wt), 3700 pin (without anyone in cab) trailer and over truck tire capacity. Sure she did a super job I won't deny that 1 bit. But knowing I was at or over on pretty much everything was risky. Vayaky trip to FL in heat of summer was the last straw, so sadly traded for a F350 DRW. As much as I didn't want to, it was the best towing move I made. Yes I would like to have a smaller or SRW to bop around everyday, but for towing the rig we have, day and night difference. Like your wife who probly doesn't tow much, mine said between all the 3 trucks we've have (1st 2 being SRW), this is the most comfy and more confident truck to tow and she runs right along at 65-70 mph. Yes she is more on her toes cuz she doesn't tow much, but still the most comfy she's felt.

zolman

I agree somewhat with your statement about being a pain at times w/ DRW and they stink in snow. HOWEVER, IMO I don't think any of the mfr's '20 SRW trucks despite their ratings is a safe bet towing above 15,000. IF and I say IF you are local towing or couple times a year, they by all means a SRW will do. You list your weights to some degree, BUT what are the weights with and without the trailer? Pin weight? How much is left on truck's payload? What is tire capacity? I do not argue one bit that a 250/2500 or 350/3500 SRW diesel has the power to tow unGodly weight, but as everyone has said, stopping it is another thing and if you get into a wreck and your overweight cuz some sue happy att'y WILL look at everything. FWIW, I read where the see thru camera from GM may not work on trailers over "X" feet. Not sure if it's true or not.

I had what I thought was going to be 'nuff truck w/ a '15 F350 SRW diesel, but found out I was at max across the board towing a 16,000 (max wt), 3700 pin (without anyone in cab) trailer and over truck tire capacity. Sure she did a super job I won't deny that 1 bit. But knowing I was at or over on pretty much everything was risky. Vayaky trip to FL in heat of summer was the last straw, so sadly traded for a F350 DRW. As much as I didn't want to, it was the best towing move I made. Yes I would like to have a smaller or SRW to bop around everyday, but for towing the rig we have, day and night difference. Like your wife who probly doesn't tow much, mine said between all the 3 trucks we've have (1st 2 being SRW), this is the most comfy and more confident truck to tow and she runs right along at 65-70 mph. Yes she is more on her toes cuz she doesn't tow much, but still the most comfy she's felt.

You need to check out the specs on the new 2020 GM trucks. The frame and body have been completely re engineered. It much stronger and has the towing capacity of many older DRW 3500.

avvidclif

payload capacity - 4,185
GCWR - 29,700
curb weight -7,548

I tend to disagree. My trailer loaded to 15.500 has abt 4200lbs of pin weight, add the 30 gal aux tank and the tool box and you're overloaded(another 400 lbs). Those are real numbers from the scales. I'm not overloaded as mine has training wheels.

You really need to weigh it loaded to go camping and not go by what you read. It might surprise you.