Truck

Oldelevatorman

If you’re pin weight is 25% you’re overloaded. Dually all the way for me. I have extra payload for safety, 5700 but pin weight is 4000 on 18k GVWR, maybe 350 in the truck bed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

If you get a 2020 GMC or Chevy 1 ton Duramax SRW you don't need a dually. Duallys are a pain for anything other then towing a huge trailer. They are a pain to park, maneuver in traffic and burn more fuel.

A 2020 GM 1 ton SRW would easily handle your trailer and the camera system is fantastic. My Cyclone 3600 (17,300 when loaded) tows fantastic behind my 2020 Denali duramax. Its like the trailer is not even there. My wife will even drive it and she's not an adventurous driver. I did add a Demco 21,000 slider and a 5th Airborne 21,000 pin box.

5th wheel towing capacity - 21,500
payload capacity - 4,185
GCWR - 29,700
curb weight -7,548

With your GVWR of 16,000 plus GM 1 ton curb weight of 7,548 = 23,548 you have a 6,000 lbs to spare.

Cyclone 3600 specs:
Max GVW : 17,000
Dry wt: 15,400
Dry hitch: 3375
CCC: 1552

Based on the trailer weights alone and from the partial scale weights given, over on trailer max, assuming full of fuel & dressed up w/ add ons/options/people, truck weighs more than 7548, add at least 800# to dry hitch---now at 4175. Zolman, you need to provide more weight stats because from what I see, things are not adding up right.

Flick

I tend to disagree. My trailer loaded to 15.500 has abt 4200lbs of pin weight, add the 30 gal aux tank and the tool box and you're overloaded(another 400 lbs). Those are real numbers from the scales. I'm not overloaded as mine has training wheels.

You really need to weigh it loaded to go camping and not go by what you read. It might surprise you.

We own one of each, SRW and DRW. When we pull our larger trailers or Cyclone, we always go DRW.
When everything is going great, either truck will do the job. There are times when the DRW is a pain and it’s good to have the SRW.
But for those times when you may have a blowout, etc. running highway speed with 4000# hanging on your truck, you’ll be glad the extra tire is there to bail you out. I understand that problem may be a rare occurrence, but stuff happens and it’s best to be ready when it does.

avvidclif

I wish I knew, since I've been a member here, how many times I've seen the SRW vs DRW vs 3/4T debate. It's amazing but it seems that after a period of time you find the 3/4's have graduated to SRW and in many cases to DRW. I think a lot of it depends on RV usage. A once a month trip to the lake rv lot 50mi away vs the ones that take off and are gone for a month or more and see the USA. Some of it may have to do with flatlanders and their first experience in the mountains. Some were misled by a salesman, "NO Problem, your GMC 1500 will pull this 12,000lb 5th wheel." Some upgraded the RV and needed more (me). For whatever reason look around at the signature lines, seems to be a preponderance of duallys.

That would be an interesting poll for those owning a 12,000lb plus RV. Plot out years of experience vs 3/4T, 1T SRW, 1T DRW, and 450,4500 class and up. My money is the years of experience goes up so does the vehicle size. To be fair factor in if the change was due to a larger 5th.

Boredom is setting in. Can you tell.

Flick

I wish I knew, since I've been a member here, how many times I've seen the SRW vs DRW vs 3/4T debate. It's amazing but it seems that after a period of time you find the 3/4's have graduated to SRW and in many cases to DRW. I think a lot of it depends on RV usage. A once a month trip to the lake rv lot 50mi away vs the ones that take off and are gone for a month or more and see the USA. Some of it may have to do with flatlanders and their first experience in the mountains. Some were misled by a salesman, "NO Problem, your GMC 1500 will pull this 12,000lb 5th wheel." Some upgraded the RV and needed more (me). For whatever reason look around at the signature lines, seems to be a preponderance of duallys.

That would be an interesting poll for those owning a 12,000lb plus RV. Plot out years of experience vs 3/4T, 1T SRW, 1T DRW, and 450,4500 class and up. My money is the years of experience goes up so does the vehicle size. To be fair factor in if the change was due to a larger 5th.

Boredom is setting in. Can you tell.

For sure and the above is also affected by an abundant level of testosterone. Lol