Big horn vs landmark

Djf125

I have been researching units to live out of full time now for awhile and have narrowed it down to 2 units that fit my families needs and they are either the bighorn 3950fl or the landmark laffayette a bit of background i am a master finish carpenter and master wood finisher for a living and craftsmanships important to me and between the 2 units in a bighorn with several optional upgrades compared to the laffayette they are nearly identical in craftsmanship overall other than a few minor things i could do in a day like extra trimming around the windows and door areas and swapping the hollow door panels out on the bighorn for solid wood paneled doors and upgrade plumbing and light fixtures and the bighorn 3950fl fits our needs layout wise better than the laffayette most important options to us are modest interior upgrades on the bighorn heat pumps on the a/c units to save on lp useage slide awnings over the slides and thats about it as far as options for the bighorn we would purchase which along with some material to dress up the windows and door areas and other areas i was wanting to improve replacement doors and the extra options along with double pane windows on the bighorn i would not be out even $7000 extra vs the laffayette costing $25K-$30K extra is there anything other than i specified that makes the laffayette that much better than the bighorn 3950fl optioned out and improved by a master finish carpenter to match the laffayette and then some possibly because even if i added the optional 3rd ac unit to the bighorn i would still be upwards of $20K less than the laffayette is their anything different in the frame walls or insulation or floor design or how they tow that makes one better than the other or is it primarily strictly cosmetic?

danemayer

Hi djf,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

A few comments:

- Bighorn and Landmark are built on the same line, by the same people.
- There are often things that may escape initial notice, like individual controls on slideouts.
- I think the Landmark has the KIB control panel that offers some function not available on Bighorn.
- There may be some differences in the standard running gear - axles, brakes, suspension, wheels, tires - you should check.

There are quite a few other differences. Best way to get a current list of differences is to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Ask for the Landmark sales team.

Oregon_Camper

Don't Landmarks all come with Full Body Paint, where it is a $10k option on Bighorns?

We paid for the FBP on our 2015 Bighorn and it still looks brand new today.

carl.swoyer

I have been researching units to live out of full time now for awhile and have narrowed it down to 2 units that fit my families needs and they are either the bighorn 3950fl or the landmark laffayette a bit of background i am a master finish carpenter and master wood finisher for a living and craftsmanships important to me and between the 2 units in a bighorn with several optional upgrades compared to the laffayette they are nearly identical in craftsmanship overall other than a few minor things i could do in a day like extra trimming around the windows and door areas and swapping the hollow door panels out on the bighorn for solid wood paneled doors and upgrade plumbing and light fixtures and the bighorn 3950fl fits our needs layout wise better than the laffayette most important options to us are modest interior upgrades on the bighorn heat pumps on the a/c units to save on lp useage slide awnings over the slides and thats about it as far as options for the bighorn we would purchase which along with some material to dress up the windows and door areas and other areas i was wanting to improve replacement doors and the extra options along with double pane windows on the bighorn i would not be out even $7000 extra vs the laffayette costing $25K-$30K extra is there anything other than i specified that makes the laffayette that much better than the bighorn 3950fl optioned out and improved by a master finish carpenter to match the laffayette and then some possibly because even if i added the optional 3rd ac unit to the bighorn i would still be upwards of $20K less than the laffayette is their anything different in the frame walls or insulation or floor design or how they tow that makes one better than the other or is it primarily strictly cosmetic?
Welcome
Modify away but keep in mind going to the solid wood door and removing the hollow core adds weight. The door jams are probably not sufficient for the solid door. Weight added only takes away from what you can bring/pack up in the fifth wheel.
My 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel still looks new.
ccccb4fe59106ae652c94a44284d3f16.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Full body paint is expensive, but after almost 10 years, our exterior still looks great. No oxidation. No fading. No peeling decals. Very low maintenance.

CDN

B and B
Hello,

We owned a Bighorn, loved what we had. Offered a great deal on a New on Lot 15 month old Landmark.

Have a close look, there are a lot of differences and things included in the Landmark. The Heat Pump is OK but you really need a furnace for conformable living, all the heat at the ceiling not to mention basement and under floor heating needs.

I have done a lot of mods to both the Bighorn and new Landmark, we will have had it 1 year in March.

For me H Tires and 8 K axles are a just not to mention over 4,000 lbs cargo capacity. Our landmark came with slide toppers and armoured main and secondary awnings and 3 TV's as well. KIB system, tilting bed, better trim, Yeti Package and Dual Pane windows.

Full body paint was a must for us, this is our last trailer we stated several time. Our 4th since 2012.

All the best!

Brian

Mark-Roberta 051995

We are headed into our 3rd year with our 2017 LM Charleston. It has FBP, 3 AC's 3 TV's etc.etc. - As everyone has mentioned - FBP is an absolute need for us if we ever trade. It's very easy to maintain and keep. If your leaning towards a Bighorn and tell them as an option to put FBP on it and the 3rd AC you may be at the same price point as Landmark - but you will get more items on the LM. Do your homework and compare both models with the same options.

IMG_5256.jpg