Thread: Big horn vs landmark

1. Print this Post   #1

Big horn vs landmark

I have been researching units to live out of full time now for awhile and have narrowed it down to 2 units that fit my families needs and they are either the bighorn 3950fl or the landmark laffayette a bit of background i am a master finish carpenter and master wood finisher for a living and craftsmanships important to me and between the 2 units in a bighorn with several optional upgrades compared to the laffayette they are nearly identical in craftsmanship overall other than a few minor things i could do in a day like extra trimming around the windows and door areas and swapping the hollow door panels out on the bighorn for solid wood paneled doors and upgrade plumbing and light fixtures and the bighorn 3950fl fits our needs layout wise better than the laffayette most important options to us are modest interior upgrades on the bighorn heat pumps on the a/c units to save on lp useage slide awnings over the slides and thats about it as far as options for the bighorn we would purchase which along with some material to dress up the windows and door areas and other areas i was wanting to improve replacement doors and the extra options along with double pane windows on the bighorn i would not be out even $7000 extra vs the laffayette costing $25K-$30K extra is there anything other than i specified that makes the laffayette that much better than the bighorn 3950fl optioned out and improved by a master finish carpenter to match the laffayette and then some possibly because even if i added the optional 3rd ac unit to the bighorn i would still be upwards of $20K less than the laffayette is their anything different in the frame walls or insulation or floor design or how they tow that makes one better than the other or is it primarily strictly cosmetic?

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Big horn vs landmark

Hi djf,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

A few comments:

- Bighorn and Landmark are built on the same line, by the same people.
    - There are often things that may escape initial notice, like individual controls on slideouts.
    - I think the Landmark has the KIB control panel that offers some function not available on Bighorn.
    - There may be some differences in the standard running gear - axles, brakes, suspension, wheels, tires - you should check.

There are quite a few other differences. Best way to get a current list of differences is to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Ask for the Landmark sales team.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #3

Don't Landmarks all come with Full Body Paint, where it is a $10k option on Bighorns?

We paid for the FBP on our 2015 Bighorn and it still looks brand new today.

4. Print this Post   #4

Quote Originally Posted by Djf125 View Post
    I have been researching units to live out of full time now for awhile and have narrowed it down to 2 units that fit my families needs and they are either the bighorn 3950fl or the landmark laffayette a bit of background i am a master finish carpenter and master wood finisher for a living and craftsmanships important to me and between the 2 units in a bighorn with several optional upgrades compared to the laffayette they are nearly identical in craftsmanship overall other than a few minor things i could do in a day like extra trimming around the windows and door areas and swapping the hollow door panels out on the bighorn for solid wood paneled doors and upgrade plumbing and light fixtures and the bighorn 3950fl fits our needs layout wise better than the laffayette most important options to us are modest interior upgrades on the bighorn heat pumps on the a/c units to save on lp useage slide awnings over the slides and thats about it as far as options for the bighorn we would purchase which along with some material to dress up the windows and door areas and other areas i was wanting to improve replacement doors and the extra options along with double pane windows on the bighorn i would not be out even $7000 extra vs the laffayette costing $25K-$30K extra is there anything other than i specified that makes the laffayette that much better than the bighorn 3950fl optioned out and improved by a master finish carpenter to match the laffayette and then some possibly because even if i added the optional 3rd ac unit to the bighorn i would still be upwards of $20K less than the laffayette is their anything different in the frame walls or insulation or floor design or how they tow that makes one better than the other or is it primarily strictly cosmetic?
    Welcome
    Modify away but keep in mind going to the solid wood door and removing the hollow core adds weight. The door jams are probably not sufficient for the solid door. Weight added only takes away from what you can bring/pack up in the fifth wheel.
    My 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel still looks new.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

5. Print this Post   #5

Full body paint is expensive, but after almost 10 years, our exterior still looks great. No oxidation. No fading. No peeling decals. Very low maintenance.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

6. Print this Post   #6
    B and B

Hello,

We owned a Bighorn, loved what we had. Offered a great deal on a New on Lot 15 month old Landmark.

Have a close look, there are a lot of differences and things included in the Landmark. The Heat Pump is OK but you really need a furnace for conformable living, all the heat at the ceiling not to mention basement and under floor heating needs.

I have done a lot of mods to both the Bighorn and new Landmark, we will have had it 1 year in March.

For me H Tires and 8 K axles are a just not to mention over 4,000 lbs cargo capacity. Our landmark came with slide toppers and armoured main and secondary awnings and 3 TV's as well. KIB system, tilting bed, better trim, Yeti Package and Dual Pane windows.

Full body paint was a must for us, this is our last trailer we stated several time. Our 4th since 2012.

All the best!

Brian
    Brian and Bette
    Wilmot Township
    Ontario, Canada

2018 Landmark 365 Louisville
    2016 Ford F 350 SD Crew Powerstroke FX4

Previous
    2017 Bighorn 3575 Elite
    2013 Rockwood 8289WS 5th
    2012 Rockwood 2703SS TT
    2008 Golden Falcon 380 PA Park Model
    1989 Terry Bunk House
    1984 General Coach Corsair 21RB

2015 Ford SD 250 Powerstroke
    2013 F150 Supercrew Ecoboost 3.5 l
    2009 F150 Supercrew Triton 5.4 l

7. Print this Post   #7
    Senior Member Mark-Roberta 051995's Avatar

We are headed into our 3rd year with our 2017 LM Charleston. It has FBP, 3 AC's 3 TV's etc.etc. - As everyone has mentioned - FBP is an absolute need for us if we ever trade. It's very easy to maintain and keep. If your leaning towards a Bighorn and tell them as an option to put FBP on it and the 3rd AC you may be at the same price point as Landmark - but you will get more items on the LM. Do your homework and compare both models with the same options.

IMG_5256.jpg
    Mark & Roberta Pearson
    Lexington, Ky.
    2 small hellions / Teddy and Jasper

2017 LM 365 Charleston - purchased 8/19/17
    Black / Silver
    16th year of camping

2018 Ram - Granite Crystal Gray Crew Cab LB Dually
    3.73 gears
    50 gallon external tank - gravity fed
    Andersen Gooseneck hitch

Not full time yet but we are getting closer