3160EL Light Assembly/Wood Trim In Slide Coming Down

We have a 2018 Big Horn 3160EL. The curbside slide has a long wood and light assembly across nearly the entire length of the ceiling of the slide. We drove 1700 miles to winter in Texas and when we arrived, one end of this big light assembly had come unscrewed. There are no studs under this part of the ceiling so there is only paneling to screw into. The weight of the assembly is even ripping the wallpaper off from around it. Has anyone else had this problem? We'll never make it back home without the whole thing coming down and we assume there's a lot of wiring up in there. We've contacted Heartland Service and they're only suggesting a larger screw. Does anyone have any ideas? This seems like a structural issue.

We did think of that. We've had an on-site repair service look at it and he doesn't seem to think that would work. This appears to be a very heavy assembly with a lot of wood and glass. It just seems that the factory would have had more studs throughout to screw into.

We may just try a toggle bolt.

Thank you,

Rick and Debbie Dixon

sengli

Theres a lot things that are screwed into hardly anything in these modern RV's. I had something like that happen on an exterior component on my big horn. Ended up using some JBweld , or some other two part epoxy based adhesive to re-enforce the existing holes, and then used a slight larger screw. My makeshift repair has held for some time.

Flick

We have a 2018 Big Horn 3160EL. The curbside slide has a long wood and light assembly across nearly the entire length of the ceiling of the slide. We drove 1700 miles to winter in Texas and when we arrived, one end of this big light assembly had come unscrewed. There are no studs under this part of the ceiling so there is only paneling to screw into. The weight of the assembly is even ripping the wallpaper off from around it. Has anyone else had this problem? We'll never make it back home without the whole thing coming down and we assume there's a lot of wiring up in there. We've contacted Heartland Service and they're only suggesting a larger screw. Does anyone have any ideas? This seems like a structural issue.
I would recommend multiple things. First thing is to find out for sure what the light structure was attached to. There would have to be something of substance in that area. Then I would look elsewhere along the light assembly for something to attach to. If you find perhaps an aluminum runner elsewhere, put multiple screws there to help support. A good panel adhesive may help also. If nothing will work in your opinion, take the assembly completely down and make repairs later. Also, a larger piece of lumber blended to match, could be installed on the slide first and then the light and wood could be attached to that. It may require removing the light assembly first.

wdk450

I had a 5 foot vertical cabinet sitting on my island countertop at the exterior wall come loose from the wall. I found it was tied to the wall with just trim nails.
I drilled access holes through the false back of the cabinets to access screw holes in right angle brackets that i installed there. The big thing was on the thin wood walls I installed large metal screw inserts made for drywall into the thin wood. I have used these inserts in other stressed objects like the stairs handrail, and they have held up very well. Get the shortest ones you can, though.

Here are some pictures of the screw inserts and the angle brackets. Use more than you think you need if you go this route.

drywall inserts.jpg angle bracket.jpg

Hopefully these pictures show the issue. One of the pics is of the entire assembly which is 99 inches long. There are lights at both ends of the assembly. The other photo is of the end that has detached. We contacted Heartland Service and they advise to use a larger screw. There is no stud so the only thing that we're screwing into is paneling which is probably why it's coming apart to begin with.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Rick Dixon

Attachments

• 0102201317.jpg
    0102201317.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 117
  • 0109201154.jpg
    0109201154.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 111

i4110peter

Hopefully these pictures show the issue. One of the pics is of the entire assembly which is 99 inches long. There are lights at both ends of the assembly. The other photo is of the end that has detached. We contacted Heartland Service and they advise to use a larger screw. There is no stud so the only thing that we're screwing into is paneling which is probably why it's coming apart to begin with.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Rick Dixon

We have the 2018 BH3160EL as well. Had to have the dealer redo ours. We just drove form Oregon to AZ and all seems well. Had to have major warranty work done after we purchased ours. Would like to talk with you any time.

Hello Peter. Thank you for your feedback. We also had major warranty issues with ours. Our factory warranty expired 6 months ago and we assume this will be a major cost for us to repair. I'm curious how your dealer repaired yours. We have a service agreement, but we're pretty sure this is not a covered repair. I had contacted heartland's service department and they have been no help. We just wanted advice and now they won't reply to our emails. They said it's no longer under warranty so I guess that means they're not even going to give us advice.

We wonder how many others have had the same issue with theirs. It seems to be a design problem.

Was yours still covered when your repairs were completed. Did Heartland cover anything?

Rick Dixon

Last edited by a moderator:

i4110peter

Hello Peter. Thank you for your feedback. We also had major warranty issues with ours. Our factory warranty expired 6 months ago and we assume this will be a major cost for us to repair. I'm curious how your dealer repaired yours. We have a service agreement, but we're pretty sure this is not a covered repair. I had contacted heartland's service department and they have been no help. We just wanted advice and now they won't reply to our emails. They said it's no longer under warranty so I guess that means they're not even going to give us advice.

We wonder how many others have had the same issue with theirs. It seems to be a design problem.

Was yours still covered when your repairs were completed. Did Heartland cover anything?

Rick Dixon

- - - Updated - - -

Rick Dixon

Our issue was that the led light string had come loose and showing down the middle of the ceiling fixture. The 5th wheel was still under warranty, so they repaired it. They actually pulled the whole thing down . When they did, the paper covering tore and they had to replace the panel's. This was beyond the original plan. They went ahead and did the extra work without notifying me. Then they tried to get us to pay the extra that the MFG would not cover. In short, working with the dealers for repairs is a nightmare. Good luck with your repairs. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks in advance. PS, Heartland was very easy to work with.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The idea of carefully removing the entire fixture and using a plywood panel to span the roof “beams” making a substructure and attaching the fixture to that is what I would investigate. An adhesive like PL400 might also be applied to it for additional support. Use a sharp blade to first score the ceiling covering around the fixture to avoid tearing it. The section already loose can be reglued.

The actual repair depends on how the fixture is actually constructed, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i4110peter

Oh well, so much for dealer repairs. We were sitting in our chairs when it sounded like someone threw a large rock at the side of the trailer. Found wood plugs from the light framework on the floor and one corner of the framework separated from the ceiling. The screw in that corner no longer bite6 into anything. Hope the rest holds until we get home.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

NP_Chief

If one side has already come down, I don't know that I would put it on the road without trying to secure it some way.

We're very sorry that your repairs didn't hold. We have had numerous emails with Heartland Service but are no further along other than being told to use a wider screw and put it back in. They also state there's no known issues with other rigs. We asked for and received blueprints for our rig to see where the studs are. They sent them to us but they don't include the slide rooms. When I asked again for the slide room prints, they told us that the sliderooms are made somewhere else and sent to the Heartland factory. They don't think they can get them.

It doesn't make sense, but we'll provide updates.

Rick Dixon

wdk450

I would still think about using the metal screw drywall anchors I previously recommended. The much larger diameter of the anchor instead of the previous screw's small diameter will give a much increased "bite" into whatever support substrate you are attaching into. Also when 1 screw doesn't do the job, add more to to help carry the weight.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looking again at your photos, it appears that they used long screws up through the sides of the fixture to attach it to the ceiling panel...correct? And then plugged the holes with wood buttons. Judging on the length of screw they might have used (guess, actually), using toggle bolts with short wings may be the fix if you can get them to spread open above the panel. It may be hard Styrofoam sandwiched in there, which will make opening them a bit tricky. If you can't use toggle bolts, the screw-in mollies that Bill proposed is the alternative. Be careful not to try and overtighten them since they won't have much to bite into. You may need to cut them down a little if there isn't enough room for them.