Lug Nuts/Torque

GregD904

Hello,

I have been reading a lot of mixed reviews on lug nuts for my travel trailer and whether to use a lubricant or anti-seize.

Why is it bad to use a lubricant or grease? Should ai not use one?

I have a lot of trips planned this year, one from Connecticut to Florida so I want to ensure if I get a flat I can get the tires off.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone

MTPockets

Never use lubricant on the threads. The lube affects the torque reading and will allow the nuts to loosen. Properly torque and check frequently.

GregD904

Never use lubricant on the threads. The lube affects the torque reading and will allow the nuts to loosen. Properly torque and check frequently.

Thank you for the advice. My fear is that if I get a flat the lugs will not loosen. Even with one of those “4” handled lug wrenches. Any suggestions if this happens?

Sent from my iPhone

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Invest in a cordless impact wrench along with the proper sized socket.
No problem getting lug nuts off.

Peace
Dave

NYSUPstater

Invest in a cordless impact wrench along with the proper sized socket.
No problem getting lug nuts off.

Peace
Dave

I bought a "Earthquake" cordless impact wrench from HF just for this reason. Came in handy on trip to FL 2 years ago when a brake went south and had to remove wheel.. But any good cordless one will do ya

TedS

Adding lube will lead to over-torqueing, over-loading, the lug nuts if you use the generally stated torque values.

Gary521

The torque value specified is stated at a non lubed value. However. I respectfully disagree with the others a bit. There is no need to lubricate the studs but I don't believe that it will hurt if you choose to do it.

Lou_and_Bette

Thank you for the advice. My fear is that if I get a flat the lugs will not loosen. Even with one of those “4” handled lug wrenches. Any suggestions if this happens?

Sent from my iPhone

Invest in a Breaker Bar and short piece of pipe to get additional "umph" if you don't want to invest in a power tool. I use a Ryobi 1/2" impact driver and am able to bust not only my trailer lug nuts, torqued to 120 fp, but also my tow vehicle's lug nuts, torqued to 165 fp. I have never regretted this purchase and use it at least once a year when I repack bearings on the RV.

GregD904

I bought a "Earthquake" cordless impact wrench from HF just for this reason. Came in handy on trip to FL 2 years ago when a brake went south and had to remove wheel.. But any good cordless one will do ya

Thanks! I’ll look into that model

Sent from my iPhone

GregD904

Invest in a Breaker Bar and short piece of pipe to get additional "umph" if you don't want to invest in a power tool. I use a Ryobi 1/2" impact driver and am able to bust not only my trailer lug nuts, torqued to 120 fp, but also my tow vehicle's lug nuts, torqued to 165 fp. I have never regretted this purchase and use it at least once a year when I repack bearings on the RV.

Thank you guys for this advice. Sounds like the impact drill is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone

Jim Posz

Be sure that your socket is deep enough to go all the way down over the lug nut. Many lug nuts have a light weight chrome cover deeper than the actual nut itself. If the socket doesn't go all the way down you may just twist off the cover.

Flick

Thank you guys for this advice. Sounds like the impact drill is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone
An impact tool is a great choice. However, if I read the initial post correctly, you were concerned about getting a flat and not being able to break the lug nuts loose. I can almost guarantee that any impact tool without an air tank compressor with at least 90 to 100 psi isn’t going to break them loose. Impact tools take a lot of constant pressure. I have several and as an example, the only one that breaks my trucks lugs loose is my 3/4” drive. If you buy one, make sure you can return it. As others have said, a breakdown handle with a cheater pipe is the best way to get them loose when a away from a good air supply.

GregD904

An impact tool is a great choice. However, if I read the initial post correctly, you were concerned about getting a flat and not being able to break the lug nuts loose. I can almost guarantee that any impact tool without an air tank compressor with at least 90 to 100 psi isn’t going to break them loose. Impact tools take a lot of constant pressure. I have several and as an example, the only one that breaks my trucks lugs loose is my 3/4” drive. If you buy one, make sure you can return it. As others have said, a breakdown handle with a cheater pipe is the best way to get them loose when a away from a good air supply.

Thank you for the tidbit of information. I’m sure I could get something like that at a local hardware store

Sent from my iPhone

Oregon_Camper

I...... I use a Ryobi 1/2" impact driver and am able to bust not only my trailer lug nuts, torqued to 120 fp, but also my tow vehicle's lug nuts, torqued to 165 fp.

Where do you set the fp on your impact driver? I have a Dewalt, but I'm guessing the process is similar.

Flick

Where do you set the fp on your impact driver? I have a Dewalt, but I'm guessing the process is similar.

The impact tools that I have don’t have a setting on them, only forward and reverse. The newest one is a “Tough Mechanic” from Tractor Supply and it probably is not going to match up to the Dewalt. But I’ve used name brands and they also, I’ve found, take a lot of air. That Tractor Supply tool was shipped in for me all the way from Tawain. Hmmmm.

TedS

Do not use an impact wrench to torque lug nuts. Adjustable or not, the final output will range 50%.

Get one if you must with more than you need to get the nuts loose. Run the nuts up to snug, then use a torque wrench to finish tightening.