Hello from Houston

Boomhower

Hello,

New owner here. I just bought my Heartland, its a 2006 40’ triple axle with 4 slides. Its my first 5th wheel and I believed I started off with a good one. But, after digging into it to do minor fixes ive found way more than I have time to handle right now.

It has leaks at the bottom of the back windows which I believe we have figured out and have caught it before it’s gone too far.

But its got a really bad leak from somewhere in the front thats rotted the beds slide out. Plus theres a few damp spots on the other slides that need to be addressed.

The person that sold me this didnt disclose any of these issues and got me on this one. So it is what it is and I need to move foward and find a shop in the Houston area that has reasonable rates. Can anyone recommend someone?
90070f6dd2493551a785792b204344fa.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi Boomhower,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm sure some of our South Texas members will give you some recommendations shortly.

Consider joining the Owners Club. Membership is free and gets you into rallies where you'll meet a bunch of like-minded people and have a great time. There's a Regional Rally coming up soon a bit north of Houston. Here's a link to info.

TXgearhead

I recommend Channelview Supply.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://www.channelviewsupply.com/
Family owned and operated. No sales, just repairs and parts.
I-10 East outbound just past Beltway 8.
Been in business 30+ years. I've been using them about that long as well.
[/FONT]I have no financial interest in them.

'Lil Guy'

Welcome to the forum and congrats on our new to you rig. Sorry to hear about your problems . I'm afraid your good deal might not be that good when you're done addressing the issues. Water intrusion is the biggest nightmare for us. I've never seen a Landmark with 3 axels before.
I've used Lonestar in Houston on north side of town but I know people there. Bringing in an older rig with major issues could sit for a while. The best luck I've had for service was with RV Station here in Tyler. They let us make an appointment and adhere to it, at least at this facility. There is one in Katy TX. Did you operate the slides and look at it good before the purchase? Seems you might have caught the problems and maybe shied away from these issues.
You can go over the rig and recaulk and seal the rv to stop further damage from happening. I'm afraid you're going to spend some serious change on these repairs.
Again, sorry for your issues and don't be a stranger to the site.

Flick

Don’t feel to bad about your new unit until you find out the cost to repair. Then you can make a decision to repair or sell it to someone else. Hopefully you can justify the repairs and come out ok since you may have invested less than what another would have cost. There is a dealer about 20 miles from my home in Navasota, Texas that I know repairs and sells Heartland rv’s. They are the sponsor of the regional rally referenced by I think Dan being held in Montgomery, Texas in April. I only know of them because I’ve driven past their place many times and my daughter knows someone who has a cousin who works there. Give them a call or google them. They are T&S RV’s and Sport. 936-825-2357.

Boomhower

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will give these places a call. Unfortunately when I looked the trailer over where the rot was it was under a plastic trim cover and you wouldn’t know unless you pressed up on it. Which i should have and know better now.

I got the trailer at a good price so if I dont exceed high retail with repairs then I will ok. I just need to find someone thats reasonable on their rates which looks like nothing is cheap on rv repairs.

Thanks again for suggestions. Adam

Boomhower

e5017c2023fc3ec05df15ca4bee603aa.jpeg
e2ac826eb42a0e0e5f65ef64af62fefc.jpeg
5f8cff28ef2d457c5fc9953910c57995.jpeg

Besides “lack of maintenance” as every rv dealer I spoke to likes to call it. The overall trailer I believe is worth saving. At least thats what I’m going to keep telling my self...

I will post updates as repairs happen. Thanks, Adam

danemayer

It's a lot like buying a used car. The seller is always a little old lady who only drove to church. Used RVs are frequently described as always having been stored indoors and only used a handful of times. But it's always buyer beware.

Boomhower

It's a lot like buying a used car. The seller is always a little old lady who only drove to church. Used RVs are frequently described as always having been stored indoors and only used a handful of times. But it's always buyer beware.

This is the absolute truth. I was so in shock by how nice it was I missed a lot of things wrong with it. “Always stored inside” was his exact words. But if you look closely you can see where the decals are fading and peeling. Oh well we will get it right one way or the other.

Staybeeek

Hello! I'm a newbie here too. I wanted to say, that the pics of your car inside are awesome. I see, you want to refresh it a bit and I wish you good luck with the repairing.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I believe you have one of the early Landmarks when they were new on the RV scene. It looks very nice, I hope you can get the repairs made and truly enjoy it. Thanks for sharing the pics! I second T&S in Navasota, good folks that only sell Heartlands and truly appreciate their customers.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Since you are in Houston, another Heartland dealer is the Ron Hoover RV dealership in Katy. They have huge repair shop and can likely help you. Their phone number is 888 225-4914.

NP_Chief

Congrats on your rig and welcome to the forum! Eternabond tape is a wonderful thing... if you're going to keep the rig, I would use it rather than re-caulking.

Boomhower

I spoke with a lot of people this week. Pretty much everyone was the same on labor rates. It was the amount of hours that varied a lot between them. I decided on a local repair shop called Cutting Edge. They were very helpful and got it right in. I will post some pictures of the destruction later this evening.

NP I will check out that tape thanks.

Boomhower

9d77b0963f8ee96b3943c46d1dbf042c.jpg
3a184c98457224d8f9cd5d98b6ff56a1.jpg
e49ab9d29216756a2f01d604380e1c06.jpg

The folks at Cutting Edge have been great. Took it in and jumped right on it. We assume that the rot was caused by the lower trim molding calk being dried out. Looks like it only got the leading edge. If goes as plained should be able to be up and going in a few weeks

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I always liked the looks of the "Classic" Landmarks. I wanted one, but didn't have enough truck to support it and had to wait 'til '07 and the Bighorn before beginning my Heartland experience.

When they get through with it, it will be better than new!

Boomhower

They found another soft spot in the basement under bedroom. Caused by dried out calk on door trim. I believe I will handle this my self by removing the wood and using 3/16 or 1/4 aluminum diamond plate. Just mig it to the frame.

Its going to be an ongoing project just one thing at a time. But as you said Jay I believe it will be better than new when completed. Optimism...

Last edited:

Boomhower

Well I went and picked up my trailer today. Everything works as it should now i just need to handle some small things. One of which is the refrigerator replacement with a residential fridge. Have any of you done this?

b4354da0e94d2763f7478cb52f9a3e17.jpg