2009 Sundance 287 RL Water Heater

Hey Y'all, I've got a question about our water heater. The water heater is GAS only, propane, but it has an Anode rod in the Heater, thought that was only needed if the unit was also electric. Ok, square me away on this, is it supposed to prevent corrosion ?
Thanks

jbeletti

The anode rod is typically used with water heaters that are not "glass-lined".

The anode rod is meant to be sacrificial in that it will deteriorate instead of your tank itself deteriorating.

I don't think heating with gas or electricity has any bearing on the need for an anode rod. It's all about the tank lining (or no lining).

The anode rod is typically used with water heaters that are not "glass-lined".

The anode rod is meant to be sacrificial in that it will deteriorate instead of your tank itself deteriorating.

I don't think heating with gas or electricity has any bearing on the need for an anode rod. It's all about the tank lining (or no lining).

thanks Jim
ive had some that were just gas and they had no anode rod, could be related to what the tank is made of.
Thanks for the quick reply.

jbeletti

thanks Jim
ive had some that were just gas and they had no anode rod, could be related to what the tank is made of.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Jim - it's likely the ones you had in the past without an anode rod were Atwood models. Their tanks are known to be glass lined. Instead of an anode rod, they have a plastic drain plug.

It's likely you have a Suburban unit now.

Jim - it's likely the ones you had in the past without an anode rod were Atwood models. Their tanks are known to be glass lined. Instead of an anode rod, they have a plastic drain plug.

It's likely you have a Suburban unit now.

Jim you are absolutely right, that explains it. Yes the previous ones were Atwood and this one is a Surburban. Thank you sir, and those plastic plugs won't fit it 😳😊

Thanks again. Never to late to learn something.

jbeletti

Jim you are absolutely right, that explains it. Yes the previous ones were Atwood and this one is a Surburban. Thank you sir, and those plastic plugs won't fit it 😳😊

Thanks again. Never to late to learn something.

Jim - keep on asking questions. This forum has tens of thousands of members with hundreds of them very active and within those, some of them very well seasoned campers and many of them super-hands-on.