RW 415 roof peel

triff4

Anyone here experience roof bubble and peel on their rig? Pulled into fuel up and a fellow traveler said my roof on my 17 was flapping around.
Can't post pics as I'm a new member. It is around the front AC and digital TV antenna. Almost looks like a glue failure..

danemayer

Hi triff4,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Based on my recollection of posts over the last 8 years, I'd say we see a handful of similar posts each year. You'll want to very carefully check the caulking and sealants to make sure there are no water leaks. If everything looks ok, but you have a large bubble (large being more than a few inches in diameter), you might poke a small hole and inject glue, roll it down, and then cover the hole with a small circular piece of Eternabond.

triff4

So. Just got done with fighting with Heartland. Only owned my rig for 14 months and roof peeled around front AC, dig tv antenna and bubbles the width of rig. Heartland is refusing any obligation to repair roof, as I'm second owner. Bought from Johnnie Walker RV in Vegas. Obviously this is a dealer service issue when was sold to me. No way those materials should have broke down in 15 months time. The shop wants 11G to replace roof after I just paid 60G for the year old rig at the time of purchase in Nov 2018. Heartland won't cover ****.. Any suggestions for keeping or just dumping this POS and buying new..

Based on my recollection of posts over the last 8 years, I'd say we see a handful of similar posts each year. You'll want to very carefully check the caulking and sealants to make sure there are no water leaks. If everything looks ok, but you have a large bubble (large being more than a few inches in diameter), you might poke a small hole and inject glue, roll it down, and then cover the hole with a small circular piece of Eternabond.[/QUOTE]

danemayer

So. Just got done with fighting with Heartland. Only owned my rig for 14 months and roof peeled around front AC, dig tv antenna and bubbles the width of rig. Heartland is refusing any obligation to repair roof, as I'm second owner. Bought from Johnnie Walker RV in Vegas. Obviously this is a dealer service issue when was sold to me. No way those materials should have broke down in 15 months time. The shop wants 11G to replace roof after I just paid 60G for the year old rig at the time of purchase in Nov 2018. Heartland won't cover ****.. Any suggestions for keeping or just dumping this POS and buying new..

Based on my recollection of posts over the last 8 years, I'd say we see a handful of similar posts each year. You'll want to very carefully check the caulking and sealants to make sure there are no water leaks. If everything looks ok, but you have a large bubble (large being more than a few inches in diameter), you might poke a small hole and inject glue, roll it down, and then cover the hole with a small circular piece of Eternabond.

Yes, the warranty is 1 year and applies only to the original purchaser. Sometimes Heartland will grant a goodwill accommodation to the original owner, after the warranty expires, but not so much to 2nd owners.

Replacing the roof is, as you found, quite expensive, and also very invasive. Typically the shop will cut the roof along the line of the front and rear caps, making the new roof more vulnerable to leaks in the future.

You might ask the dealer about injecting glue without replacing the roof, or consider doing it yourself.

wdk450

Triff:
I would start getting quotes from INDEPENDENT (No RV Sales) RV repairers on this project. I think you will get some much lower quotes,.

I will send you a PM.

mlpeloquin

You may want to look into a sprayed on roof. Cheaper and they give a lifetime guarantee. FLEX Armor https://rvroof.com/ Your insurance may cover it.

Closest to you would be in Texas, but what a roof!

triff4

You may want to look into a sprayed on roof. Cheaper and they give a lifetime guarantee. FLEX Armor https://rvroof.com/ Your insurance may cover it.

Closest to you would be in Texas, but what a roof!

Thanks for all the inpit and suggestions. Gonna buy a roll of epdm material and redo the front myself. Gonna use Henry 885, to seal seams and vents, heck with that dicor crap, then once complete rolling the whole roof with Henry 887 Tropi-cool sealant. Garaunteed for life!!! Placed calls to Henry roofing products and going that this coating was specifically designed for epdm roofing!!!
I'll let you know how it all works out.

Hopefully I'll be able to post pics by then on this forum.

Thanks again...

Attachments

• 20200213_134407.jpg
    20200213_134407.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200213_134333.jpg
    20200213_134333.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200213_134306.jpg
    20200213_134306.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200213_134321.jpg
    20200213_134321.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 33

danemayer

Thanks for all the inpit and suggestions. Gonna buy a roll of epdm material and redo the front myself. Gonna use Henry 885, to seal seams and vents, heck with that dicor crap, then once complete rolling the whole roof with Henry 887 Tropi-cool sealant. Garaunteed for life!!! Placed calls to Henry roofing products and going that this coating was specifically designed for epdm roofing!!!
I'll let you know how it all works out.

Hopefully I'll be able to post pics by then on this forum.

Thanks again...

Did the wood get wet? It doesn't look like it's in pristine condition.

triff4

Dane,

We'll finished the 1/4 roof replacement and actually wasn't to bad. Installed 10x10 60 mil from flatroofsolutions. Com, thanks Tim for all the help.
Ripped off old front of roof, stripped glue and reinstalled 60 mil material. Used eternabond 4" tape at front cap and rear seam behind bedroom ac. Applied Henry seam seal, water based. Here's some pics.

Attachments

• DSC_0229.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0231.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0222.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0215.JPG
    8 MB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0217.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 31

mlpeloquin

Well definitely a dry roof with no signs of water penetration. Also no signs, at least in the pictures, of previous adhesive that was suppose to hold down the original roof. A good amount of contact adhesive should have left residue on the wood. Whomever is responsible for spray coating the surface with adhesive is not doing the job. Good repair and replacement.