Haul Gauge....anyone tried it?

Matt750

I don’t think we’ll be able to make that one. We have some other trips already planned out around that time frame, but I can always check with the boss lady!

I was able to get some results with the haul gauge & will likely make it over to the CAT scales in the next couple of days. Now, keep in mind I should have gone over the instructions a little bit better before using, but who has time for that?! I should also note that in order for it to work, it’s supposed to be on level ground. It’s not too far out-of-level at our storage facility, but not perfect either. Also it sits on caliche, so when I was trying to do the truck weigh test, it would slip a little. SO, here we go.

2014 Ram 3500 4x4 dually
2019 Cyclone 4007
Trailer sticker dry weight: 16,702 lbs
Advertised pin weight: 3,665 lbs

Haul Gauge for the truck: 8,200 lbs

Haul Gauge pin weight: 3,350 lbs

Haul Gauge trailer weight: 17,000 lbs

I know my truck weighs more than 8,200lbs. Like myself, it has lost weight in some areas, but gained more than it has lost (tool box, bumper replacement, etc). The trailer did not have any toys in the back and was not loaded for a camping trip (food, drinks, clothes, etc.). It does have everything that we keep in it for camping though. It seems as if the results are a little low in some areas, but I’ll know better when I make the trip to the CAT scales. And I’ll also try to find a better spot to do the Haul Gauge testing. And maybe, just maybe I’ll have a closer look at the instructions.

Made it to the CAT scale today. Results are as follows:

CAT Scale Truck: 9,380 lbs

Cat Scale pin weight: 4,320

Cat Scale trailer weight: 17,940

I did not have time to mess with finding a spot to do more testing with the Haul Gauge. I think there may be some additional factors for the difference. I plan on contacting the folks at Haul Gauge with some questions I have. I'll also note that the both times the truck had a full tank of diesel. The camper has some gas in the back tanks, but not a full 50 gallons (somewhere around 10 gallons estimated). Also, I know that one of my propane bottles is empty. I did have new axles put on in-between the Haul Gauge and Cat scale measurements. The new axles are still 7,000 Dexter axles, but they are "heavy wall" constructed (versus what came on it from Heartland) and will weigh a little bit more.

I'll post anymore updates to this thread when I find out anymore info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made it to the CAT scales today and edited this post.

danemayer

So it's under reporting on truck weight, pin weight, and trailer weight - each off by about 1,000 lbs. compared to the CAT scales.

Offtrail

So it's under reporting on truck weight, pin weight, and trailer weight - each off by about 1,000 lbs. compared to the CAT scales.

I wonder why they are not off by the same %, but the same almost exact number.

Truck- 13% lower with the HG
Pinweight - 23% lower
Trailer - only 5% lower

Must means something.

Matt750

I talked with Mark from Haul Gauge (while on hold it was advertising "Curt" accessories...). He explained quite a bit of information. He said based on his experience, the CAT scales typically read heavier by about 5-10 percent. He also said that the Haul Gauge was designed to be within 10 percent (plus or minus).

When you enter your information into the gauge when you first plug it in, it will access what ever the truck manufacture has put in (power wise, etc.). He explained that the manufacture may determine the power a little bit different than say you or me. The way the haul gauge determines this is by how much you push on the pedal. It
uses torque converter slippage based on how much you push on the pedal to get to the weight. If you or me push on the pedal differently, we will get different readings (which is why he said they built a plus or minus 10 percent error into the unit). Also, if your truck is making more power than stock, then it will throw the numbers off and you will need to do a manual calibration of the unit. This is what I need to do. Maybe once I do that it will get closer to the CAT scale readings?

I may need to go back and edit this post to make it make it read better, but I am trying to write down everything he was telling me along with thirty other things!

Offtrail

I talked with Mark from Haul Gauge (while on hold it was advertising "Curt" accessories...). He explained quite a bit of information. He said based on his experience, the CAT scales typically read heavier by about 5-10 percent. He also said that the Haul Gauge was designed to be within 10 percent (plus or minus).

When you enter your information into the gauge when you first plug it in, it will access what ever the truck manufacture has put in (power wise, etc.). He explained that the manufacture may determine the power a little bit different than say you or me. The way the haul gauge determines this is by how much you push on the pedal. It
uses torque converter slippage based on how much you push on the pedal to get to the weight. If you or me push on the pedal differently, we will get different readings (which is why he said they built a plus or minus 10 percent error into the unit). Also, if your truck is making more power than stock, then it will throw the numbers off and you will need to do a manual calibration of the unit. This is what I need to do. Maybe once I do that it will get closer to the CAT scale readings?

I may need to go back and edit this post to make it make it read better, but I am trying to write down everything he was telling me along with thirty other things!

Ours was delivered today. The setup took minutes following the app. (I reviewed many videos on their website and youtube). Recognized our vin and the ride characteristics were in their database. We have a 2014 Titan Pro-4x.

The CAT scale was 6450 lbs with gear and a full tank.

The first HG number was 6700, but the wheel was a little turned as we started out. Next was 6600. When I really accelerated faster, with tire spin, and went way past 15MPH,the number went to 7200. When we started less aggressively, about like leaving a stop sign and let off at 15MPH, we consistently received 6500/ 6600.

Don't have our trailer hooked up yet so could only do the vehicle.

First time at a CAT scale. Quite an experience.

I would say this was a good start.

Chas & Bev

Matt750

Ours was delivered today. The setup took minutes following the app. (I reviewed many videos on their website and youtube). Recognized our vin and the ride characteristics were in their database. We have a 2014 Titan Pro-4x.

The CAT scale was 6450 lbs with gear and a full tank.

The first HG number was 6700, but the wheel was a little turned as we started out. Next was 6600. When I really accelerated faster, with tire spin, and went way past 15MPH,the number went to 7200. When we started less aggressively, about like leaving a stop sign and let off at 15MPH, we consistently received 6500/ 6600.

Don't have our trailer hooked up yet so could only do the vehicle.

First time at a CAT scale. Quite an experience.

I would say this was a good start.

Chas & Bev

Sounds like your off to a better start than me! Since I'm making more power than stock, I'm going to do the manual calibration instead of using the pre-set calibration. Let us know when you make it to the scales with your trailer.

Offtrail

Did he mention how important being very level is in the 3rd step of the initial setup?

When the app read “click here when you are level” I had to look for a spot and when I got there it was past the level step so I don’t know when it decided we were level. Thinking maybe of starting again.

We pick up our trailer this Friday ...hopefully. First trailer for us. Probably be a few weeks before we can test again. Plus will have to do a little homework on how to get the 3 weights on a CAT scale:)

Matt750

He did mention that you need to be on level ground. I just did the best I could. I’ll definitely find a different spot to test everything for the next time.

Hope you get your trailer Friday! Be sure and report back when you get more results!

Since you mentioned this is your first trailer, make sure to go over everything and also have a thorough pre-delivery inspection (PDI) list. As you may know, this is one of the best forums out there. An enormous amount of helpful info can be found on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk