DEF tank replacement

Have a 2017 Ford f350 6.7 with 94k on and have just spent 800 bucks replacing the DEF tank. Shouldn't this be a warranty item? I have and extended in addition to the 100k original warranty?

danemayer

You should check the Ford warranty statement. My 2014 RAM says:

5. Emission Warranties RequiredBy Law
5.1 Federal Vehicle Emission Warranty -
6.7L Diesel Equipped Heavy Duty
Truck
A. Parts Covered for 5 Years or 50,000 Miles,
Whichever Occurs First
Diesel equipped heavy duty trucks are 2500 and 3500
models only.
Federal law requires Chrysler to warrant the following
emissions parts for 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever
occurs first.
• Air system controls;
• charge air cooler and associated plumbing;
• coolant temperature sensor;
DEF system (includes tank, sensors, valves, pump,
doser, control module and heater);
• engine speed, position sensor, and cam position sensor
• exhaust system (includes catalysts and sensors);
• electronic fuel injection system, including injector;
• exhaust manifold;
• exhaust gas recirculation valve and control system
(includes EGR cooler);
• exhaust pipes (between exhaust manifold and last
catalyst);
• fuel pump, fuel lines and fuel injectors;
• intake manifold;
• on-board diagnostic-system components;

Flick

The 100k warranty will cover only drivetrain main item issues like engine (diesels) and rear axel ,etc. The bumper to bumper has prob run out. The extended warranty will cover this but it depends what level of coverage you bought. There are usually 3 or 4 levels covering different things. Get your extended warranty book out and see what was bought. Good luck. Normally you would have the repair shop call before the work was done.

jbeletti

For my 2017 F450, I had this FordProtect Premium Care plan: 125,000 miles / 72 months.

Here's what the brochure shows for the DEF system coverage for that plan in 2017:
Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 7.02.54 PM.jpg

I'd think the DEF tank is part of the "DEF System" in this particular plan.

Brochure attached.

Attachments

• PremiumCARE Brochure.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Flick

For my 2017 F450, I had this FordProtect Premium Care plan: 125,000 miles / 72 months.

Here's what the brochure shows for the DEF system coverage for that plan in 2017:
View attachment 63756

I'd think the DEF tank is part of the "DEF System" in this particular plan.

Absolutely. I assume this was bought extra. Sounds like it would have been exactly what was needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

Absolutely. I assume this was bought extra. Sounds like it would have been exactly what was needed.

Yes - purchased separately. In fact, on my last 2 Fords, I shopped a number of online resellers and both times, negotiated the best price here:

Bob Cline
Zeigler Auto Group
Phone: 866.943.7778
info@zeiglerfordesp.com
www.ZeiglerFordESP.com

The Premium Care 125,000/72 (without lighting system coverage) with $50 deductible for the 2017 F450 Platinum cost me: $2305
The Premium Care 100,000/72 (without lighting system coverage) with $50 deductible for the 2019 F150 Platinum cost me: $1465

rhodies1

I believe Ford has put an extended warranty on this item due to failure. Here in Canada it is 7 yrs or 192kms or in miles 120k. This is because they are having major issues.. I would contact Ford direct .

Chev has also extended their warranty 10 year period. Both companies are having BIG issues

Last edited:

Flick

Jim, I have never been a fan of extended warranties but I have changed my thinking over the last few years. Vehicles have gotten so technical that most can no longer do the repairs themselves. One repair can cover the cost of the extended warranty. Sounds like the deals you had were really good.

LBR

Try to never allow your Def to fall too low (I fill at ~1/2 tank) before topping back up. Def is pretty toxic and when the tank is run close to empty for an extended period of time, the float could seize. When it finally gets filled up, the ECU thinks it's still empty...triggering a "limp home" mode.

Happened to many owners, one was a friend of ours.... I think his was a '16 Ford. It's an easy fix.... whatever you can find to easily pound on the Def tank will jar the float to read full and you're back in business.

Oldelevatorman

Have a 2017 Ford f350 6.7 with 94k on and have just spent 800 bucks replacing the DEF tank. Shouldn't this be a warranty item? I have and extended in addition to the 100k original warranty?

That’s cheap. My DEFilter went out and the fed emissions warranty was 8 years, 80k miles on my 2015 F350. I had 98k on it and my extended warranty didn’t cover it. Cost $3200 and $300 to install. I tried to have it cleaned prior and paid $900 for a special shop that does that exclusively. They remove it, bake it and re-install it. However the tech didn’t notice it had soot in the tailpipe and that means that it can’t be cleaned. A couple check engine lights later the shop owner refunded my money and apologised for his techs mistake and I then went to Ford for the new filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Jim, I have never been a fan of extended warranties but I have changed my thinking over the last few years. Vehicles have gotten so technical that most can no longer do the repairs themselves. One repair can cover the cost of the extended warranty. Sounds like the deals you had were really good.

Eddie - I agree with you. Never been a fan of them but these trucks are SO complicated and SO expensive. And if you shop right for, in my case, FordProtect Premium Care - you can get it reasonably priced.