Two Battery Boxes; one set of wires?

rawilburn

Hello All,
I just got my 2011 Big Horn 3610, lived in a Tiffin Phaeton for the last 10 years so I'm familiar with RV living but not all the little ends and outs of this RV. I have two battery boxes one in the side compartment that is hooked up to the 12v system, but I have another box in the front compartment that is not hooked up to anything. Are there suppose to be wires running between the two batteries? Do I need to run the wiring? Why is there a box for a battery but no wiring? If this has already been discussed somewhere else then if you could just point me there I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance
Rex

danemayer

Hi rawilburn,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I have the 2011 Landmark, which is the same floorplan as your 3601RE. Heartland shipped the trailer with 1 battery located in the side compartment. Mine just sits on a tray, not in a box. There is no additional battery or battery box up front, so that was likely added by a previous owner.

If you want a 2nd battery, the original tray on mine holds 2 group 27 batteries nicely.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2011 Bighorn and it came with a second battery box but no wiring.
I threw away the second box for added space for other useless junk.

Peace
Dave

rawilburn

Thanks Guys,

This was another case of check twice before cutting or in this case buying. When I was looking at the RV before purchasing the dealer said it has two battery boxes but only one battery and if I wanted to use the other box I would need to buy another battery. Already knew I was going to have to replace the the one battery since it was old. So being a forward thinking person I order two group 29 batteries from Walmart. Of course my local Walmart didn't have them so had to drive over to Lake City to get them. So long story short I now have a spare group 29 battery in the second worthless box.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There is no reason why you couldn't utilize the second battery. You just need a couple of appropriate sized wires.

Peace
Dave

Flick

I am going to plead dumb on this one because I have no clue if your Bighorn has a generator or a generator prep or if it could come with one. Our offshore boat we had before we got into rving had to sets of battery banks that were tied together with a switch so they could be separated while fishing or offshore. That way if you run one bank of batteries down you would still have a set to get the bad boy started and get home. On the way home, you’d sink the battery banks and you’d be full charge when you got back to home base. Maybe someone had done something like that and just disconnected it. If you had a generator you’d always have a way to start it without hooking to the truck. I know. It’s stupid but I thought I’d throw it out.

rawilburn

I am going to plead dumb on this one because I have no clue if your Bighorn has a generator or a generator prep or if it could come with one. Our offshore boat we had before we got into rving had to sets of battery banks that were tied together with a switch so they could be separated while fishing or offshore. That way if you run one bank of batteries down you would still have a set to get the bad boy started and get home. On the way home, you’d sink the battery banks and you’d be full charge when you got back to home base. Maybe someone had done something like that and just disconnected it. If you had a generator you’d always have a way to start it without hooking to the truck. I know. It’s stupid but I thought I’d throw it out.

The 5th Wheel did not come with a generator but I have a 2000w Yamaha I plan to place in the holding area for emergencies. Not sure how that will effect the batteries as I'm hooked up to shore power 100% of the time (long story and don't want to boor you here) and only need the generator encase of power outages.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no reason why you couldn't utilize the second battery. You just need a couple of appropriate sized wires.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave I was thinking the same thing.

Rex

Flick

The 5th Wheel did not come with a generator but I have a 2000w Yamaha I plan to place in the holding area for emergencies. Not sure how that will effect the batteries as I'm hooked up to shore power 100% of the time (long story and don't want to boor you here) and only need the generator encase of power outages.

I understand what you are doing with the generator. I think you are saying that you would use it with extension cords to power lights,etc and smaller appliances. For those that would contemplate hooking it to the rv’ electrical circuits, DON’T do it unless a transfer switch is installed. Even just unplugging from shore power is dangerous. If you ever forget to unplug from shore power, you could kill someone working on the electrical grid thru current the from the generator backfeeding. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

rawilburn

I understand what you are doing with the generator. I think you are saying that you would use it with extension cords to power lights,etc and smaller appliances. For those that would contemplate hooking it to the rv’ electrical circuits, DON’T do it unless a transfer switch is installed. Even just unplugging from shore power is dangerous. If you ever forget to unplug from shore power, you could kill someone working on the electrical grid thru current the from the generator backfeeding. Just a thought.

I hear ya. But let me briefly explain. For the last ten years I was living in a Motorcoach with six house batteries and a 5k gen. Last three years I've been living on my daughters property(our own one spot RV park). First night in new 5th wheel and power goes out. I sleep with a CPAP machine. I didn't have the Yamaha close so I was up all night fearing I'd fall asleep. That's all I want the genny for.

Flick

I hear ya. But let me briefly explain. For the last ten years I was living in a Motorcoach with six house batteries and a 5k gen. Last three years I've been living on my daughters property(our own one spot RV park). First night in new 5th wheel and power goes out. I sleep with a CPAP machine. I didn't have the Yamaha close so I was up all night fearing I'd fall asleep. That's all I want the genny for.

Yes,I totally understand. Standby power is priceless to have.

donr827

I just added a proper sized witres with the boxes in the front compartment. Be sure it is hooked up positive wire to other positive terminal. Same with the negative.

rawilburn

I just added a proper sized witres with the boxes in the front compartment. Be sure it is hooked up positive wire to other positive terminal. Same with the negative.

Yes that's my thought also. in fact just got wire and post clips yesterday.

'Lil Guy'

Ours came with two battery boxes and one battery. I wouldn't think you need one unless you have a residential refer.
It would be easy enough to drop another 80 lbs in and wire it up if you have to have the 2nd batt.

rawilburn

Ours came with two battery boxes and one battery. I wouldn't think you need one unless you have a residential refer.
It would be easy enough to drop another 80 lbs in and wire it up if you have to have the 2nd batt.

I would have been just happy with one battery as I'm going to be stuck to 50amp service for the next five years but I already purchased the two batteries based on 1) dealers statement and 2) my failure to check before buying two batteries. So I'll just hook the spare up and be on the safe side.