No electrical power from generator

Chilidav

Posted last year around Labor Day that I wasn't getting power from my generator. Checked all breakers and GFI outlets and there was nothing wrong. Generator ran fine just not getting power. Came home and plugged it in and when I unplugged it and started the generator everything worked fine. Of course Camping World said they didn't find anything wrong. Went camping this weekend and the first day everything was fine then this morning while the generator was running we noticed that some of the kitchen outlets didn't work. A short time later the microwave went out and we lost all but battery power again while the generator was still operating. I'm thinking it's the switch that switches it over from shore power to generator power. Anyone else have this issue. Very frustrating it's only the 4th time our with this 2020 Fuel 305.

danemayer

Hi Chilidav,

I'm not sure I'm following your description completely.

When you say you lost battery power while on generator, what exactly do you mean?

It sounds a bit like you might have a transfer switch problem. If there's a bad contact or a loose wire connection at the transfer switch, or in the junction box near the generator, you could lose 1/2 or all of your 120V AC power, depending on which part of the circuit is not getting generator power.

There are also circuit breakers on the front of the generator. But if one of them trips, they stay tripped until you or someone else resets them.

If while on generator power, your 12V DC lighting goes out, that would indicate 2 problems: loss of 120V AC power to the Power Converter, and at the same time a problem getting power from the batteries to the interior. That could indicate your battery cutoff switch is off, or the batteries are depleted, or the 12V DC mini-circuit breaker near the batteries has tripped.

Take a look at our Electrical User Guide to understand how all these pieces go together.

Chilidav

I only had battery power while the generator was running not actual generator power. I read my previous post that you replied to and I think that the transfer switch might be the culprit. It seemed to reset after I had plugged it in.

danemayer

I only had battery power while the generator was running not actual generator power. I read my previous post that you replied to and I think that the transfer switch might be the culprit. It seemed to reset after I had plugged it in.

Your 50 amp service has 2 hot wires; L1 and L2. If there's an intermittent problem with L2, every other 120V AC circuit breaker will lose power. If there's a problem with L1, the transfer switch will not actuate and all your 120V AC power will be out. At that point, the only thing working will be 12V DC lights and devices.

Be sure that shore power is disconnected before opening the transfer switch. And if you take the cover off and then reconnect power, or start the generator, you'll find it handy to have a non-contact voltage tester so you don't have to put your hands in the way of 50 amp circuits. They're available at most hardware stores. Skip the $10 models and get the $20 model.

If you're lucky, while power is disconnected, you'll find a loose wire connection in the transfer switch. Pages 10 and 11 of the Electrical User Guide have pictures and wiring diagrams of the Transfer Switch.

wdk450

Are there any indicators ON the generator (pilot lights or meters) that can tell you if you have AC power THERE? If not, I would think about wiring some in. The intermittent loss of power would seem to indicate an intermittent wiring or switching connection. Have you used it a lot? Maybe the generator commutator brushes are intermittent. You could spray some DeOxIt contact spray on the transfer switch relay contacts, although I prefer to both use a flat thin contact file on the contacts, along with the contact spray.

Good luck! Intermittent electrical problems are the worst!

LBR

You may need to unplug shore power, open up the access to your shore/genny transfer switch, remove TS cover, and tighten all the main power lead screws.