waste handles - 3340

Nagilem

Hi - I'm a new owner of a Gravity 3340. We love the trailer but we received no manuals. I am having trouble understanding the grey and black tank drain handles. I have 3 - 2 near the front, and one in back. I only have 1 bathroom. I seem to get get sewage from 2 of the three handles and the stickers on the RV are not clear. Also, the bottom is closed up so I cant really see where the tanks or the plumbing is.

I *think* the handles are -

front most handle - black
middle handle (next to the first in the front of the camper) - grey
back handle - grey

Is this the case? Why do I see sewage from the back handle? What drains go to what tanks?

Unfortunately, the handles for all of my waste tanks were left open by the dealer on my first trip, so I think some sewage got up into the grey tanks :(. Any thoughts on how to flush those?

Gary521

I would flush them with lots of water from one of your inside fixtures. While getting a bit of black water in them is not the end of the world as they develop lots of bacteria from normal usage and develop a nice smell on their own. If it were me, I would still flush them out. Another point to make is the use of disposable gloves when working around these areas. There is bacteria all over the place. Lots of folks get a bit lackadaisical about this but it is a big deal.

Nagilem

I would flush them with lots of water from one of your inside fixtures. While getting a bit of black water in them is not the end of the world as they develop lots of bacteria from normal usage and develop a nice smell on their own. If it were me, I would still flush them out. Another point to make is the use of disposable gloves when working around these areas. There is bacteria all over the place. Lots of folks get a bit lackadaisical about this but it is a big deal.

I do use gloves when working the tanks, so check :).

I also figured I'd push some bleach water down into the grey tanks and leave a day or two to kill bacteria. I know they can get nasty too, so I figured to treat them twice a year with some light bleach to keep them from starting to stink.

Any thoughts on the handles? Like I said before, I am not seeing what I expect when I dump the tanks so any help here would be much appreciated.

mlpeloquin

You may very well have two gray and one black. When flushing the black tank some of the sewage flows into the connected pipes to the gray water drain pipe. When you pull the valve open on the gray tanks, the sewage that was pushed into the gray water drain pipe is pushed out. The sewage should be just a second and only gray water after.

LBR

Any thoughts on the handles? Like I said before, I am not seeing what I expect when I dump the tanks so any help here would be much appreciated.

1) Completely empty all 3 tanks and close valves.

2) Fill toilet tank with water, then pull handles until water flushes out. Mark that handle as black tank.

3) Fill shower/tub tank with water, then pull remaining 2 handles, one at a time until water flushes out. Mark that handle as bathroom grey tank.

4) Fill kitchen tank with water, then pull last remaining handle...water should flush out. Mark that handle as kitchen grey tank.

david-steph2018

Hi - I'm a new owner of a Gravity 3340. We love the trailer but we received no manuals. I am having trouble understanding the grey and black tank drain handles. I have 3 - 2 near the front, and one in back. I only have 1 bathroom. I seem to get get sewage from 2 of the three handles and the stickers on the RV are not clear. Also, the bottom is closed up so I cant really see where the tanks or the plumbing is.

I *think* the handles are -

front most handle - black
middle handle (next to the first in the front of the camper) - grey
back handle - grey

Is this the case? Why do I see sewage from the back handle? What drains go to what tanks?

Unfortunately, the handles for all of my waste tanks were left open by the dealer on my first trip, so I think some sewage got up into the grey tanks :(. Any thoughts on how to flush those?

One way to figure which tank goes to which valve is to use food coloring. Get yourself 3 different food colors and dump in each place. Write down which color you dumped where and go pull the handles one at a time. If you are only concerned which is the black only use 1 color. When I did this I used a 5 gal bucket to make sure I had enough water in the tank.
But make sure you get the kind that will not stain your sinks, tub and such items.

For cleaning you could use one of these valves:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.campingworld.com/flush-king-20522.html?cgid=sewer-connection#start=12&cgid=maintain-your-rv%2Fsewer%2Fsewer-connection%2Fsewer-drain-flush
After you are done flushing and cleaning you can leave this on to use it to keep the valve closed when you travel. With this it will stop having the surprise package when you go to hook up your sewer hose when you arrive.
[/FONT]

Nagilem

First guys - thanks for all of the responses. I appreciate the thoughts. Your responses and engagement on this forum is definitely one of the reasons I bought a Gravity to begin with.

I had figured to do as you suggested and fill each tank or use food coloring to find out what goes to what, and may still since I am not getting any response from Heartland on this.

I guess my main point is that I should NOT have to do experimentation or significant work to find out what waste handle does what. I received no docs from the dealer, and have found little on my trailer online. This should be an easy answer from Heartland.

I know I *could* go find a dump station and play games filling each tank to discover this myself, but why? As we all have, I've spent considerable money and would like to *not* have to 'figure it out' on my own.

@Heartland support - Can someone from Heartland Gravity team weigh in here?

I guess my next stop will be to call them if there is no response here.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited:

Nagilem

One way to figure which tank goes to which valve is to use food coloring. Get yourself 3 different food colors and dump in each place. Write down which color you dumped where and go pull the handles one at a time. If you are only concerned which is the black only use 1 color. When I did this I used a 5 gal bucket to make sure I had enough water in the tank.
But make sure you get the kind that will not stain your sinks, tub and such items.

For cleaning you could use one of these valves:
https://www.campingworld.com/flush-king-20522.html?cgid=sewer-connection#start=12&cgid=maintain-your-rv%2Fsewer%2Fsewer-connection%2Fsewer-drain-flush
After you are done flushing and cleaning you can leave this on to use it to keep the valve closed when you travel. With this it will stop having the surprise package when you go to hook up your sewer hose when you arrive.

I like your flush idea - I currently use the sewer solution -

https://www.valterra.com/product/sewersolution-system-boxed/

This does something similar in that it macerates waste and can be used to flush the line. I've used this for about 2 years and love it. I usually hook up the blackwater flush to put some additional liquid in, then drain with the spray on to grind up the waste and push through the sewage line. I like the idea of having one more gate though. Nothing worse then pulling the cap off and having either grey or black water come at you!

Just bought a 2021 Gravity 3610.. Like the rest, no decals nothing for any tank handles...smh.. Just going to put blue tank treatment in the black tanks, the rest are gray water.

Skooter

First guys - thanks for all of the responses. I appreciate the thoughts. Your responses and engagement on this forum is definitely one of the reasons I bought a Gravity to begin with.

I had figured to do as you suggested and fill each tank or use food coloring to find out what goes to what, and may still since I am not getting any response from Heartland on this.

I guess my main point is that I should NOT have to do experimentation or significant work to find out what waste handle does what. I received no docs from the dealer, and have found little on my trailer online. This should be an easy answer from Heartland.

I know I *could* go find a dump station and play games filling each tank to discover this myself, but why? As we all have, I've spent considerable money and would like to *not* have to 'figure it out' on my own.

@Heartland support - Can someone from Heartland Gravity team weigh in here?

I guess my next stop will be to call them if there is no response here.

Thanks again guys.
Our Gravity: facing trailer pull handles, left (towards front of trailer) is black tank, then gray shower tank, last towards real of trailer is kitchen gray tank drain.