Ford electronic tailgates

Flick

If you have one of the new Ford electronics tailgates, you may eventually have the situation where, for some reason, it won’t open. You’re in a fix if hooked up to your rig or the opposite.
To remedy this, there are 8 @ T-25 Torx head screws on the inside of the tailgate, that when removed, allows you access to manually operate the levers.
These screws are also there if your new Ford has a manual release and the manual release malfunctions.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
That's good info, thanks for passing it on. Gadgets like this are getting more and more prevalent.

jbeletti

If you have one of the new Ford electronics tailgates, you may eventually have the situation where, for some reason, it won’t open. You’re in a fix if hooked up to your rig or the opposite.
To remedy this, there are 8 @ T-25 Torx head screws on the inside of the tailgate, that when removed, allows you access to manually operate the levers.
These screws are also there if your new Ford has a manual release and the manual release malfunctions.

Good to know! Wonder how you found this out? :)

Thanks for sharing.

Flick

Good to know! Wonder how you found this out? :)

Thanks for sharing.

I was at my Ford dealer a few weeks ago and was commenting to the service manager that I had concerns about the electronic tailgate. You can call me blind, but I had looked high and low for some small access area that would give access in case of a mechanical failure. There is a small hole but it does nothing to give you any help. It’s for something else. Anyhow, I explained to him my dilemma if the thing malfunctioned. He said, “Come here. Let me show you”.

NYSUPstater

This sounds great if you have access to it. But you could be SOL if you have some kind of cover over bed of truck 1st.

donr827

I think I would pass until its been used by buyers for awhile. Also, that is my daily arm exercises.

Flick

This sounds great if you have access to it. But you could be SOL if you have some kind of cover over bed of truck 1st.

That does add another wrinkle for sure. But at least you wouldn’t have your fifth wheel hooked up. Lol.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I am waiting on parts for a recall on my 2017 F-350 power tailgate. Seems they can open at random which could be really bad if you are hooked up and towing a fifth wheel. when hooked up and tailgate down there is only a couple inches of clearance and any turning angle would hit the trailer.

RoadJunkie

It is not unheard of for the traditional, mechanically operated, tailgate to fail in some method, e.g, lock malfunctions, etc. Each has their advantages, although spontaneous ejection of the gate at the latch is an obvious disadvantage.

Flick

I am waiting on parts for a recall on my 2017 F-350 power tailgate. Seems they can open at random which could be really bad if you are hooked up and towing a fifth wheel. when hooked up and tailgate down there is only a couple inches of clearance and any turning angle would hit the trailer.

Yes, I just picked ours up from Ford on that same recall. They replaced the tailgate wiring assembly and the switch assembly. Supposedly when the components would get wet, the tailgate could inadvertently open.

pegmikef

I think I would pass until its been used by buyers for awhile. Also, that is my daily arm exercises.

Actually you get the same exercise on the automatic tailgates because the automatic part only applies to opening. It still has to be manually closed. Mine did open as I was slowly maneuvering in a Mountain View, Arkansas RV park. Fortunately, Billy Summit saw it and stopped me, but not before the tailgate tore a four foot gash in my generator compartment door on my then four month old Landmark!

Flick

Actually you get the same exercise on the automatic tailgates because the automatic part only applies to opening. It still has to be manually closed. Mine did open as I was slowly maneuvering in a Mountain View, Arkansas RV park. Fortunately, Billy Summit saw it and stopped me, but not before the tailgate tore a four foot gash in my generator compartment door on my then four month old Landmark!

Man , what a bummer. There isn’t much clearance even if you’re straight on. This likely wasn’t your case, but I just had mine in to Ford a few weeks ago on a recall that would keep it from opening inadvertently when the wiring harness would get wet. I suggest anyone with this tailgate to contact any Ford dealer to get the recall taken care off. This is horrible when this happens.

SilverRhino

One more thing I won’t have to worry about with my ‘06 Freightliner 🤔🤠

Attachments

• 79336372-FC3F-4742-8E1D-727E1D445544.jpg
    79336372-FC3F-4742-8E1D-727E1D445544.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 15