Rubber Roof - Sealant Type

GregD904

Hello,

I have a Prowler Lynx 25LX. I was up on the roof last weekend checking all the seals after some rain and snow and everything looks good. However I did notice in certain areas there were some “gaps“ in the seals in certain areas.

The roof is white/rubber and has a special seal that was put on by the dealer. I’m doing a lot of research online there is a ton of roof sealant.

Does anyone have any recommendations specifically for my model? Does it matter? I want to make sure the colors match so is there a specific brand?

Any information would be helpful and much appreciated.

-Greg

Sent from my iPhone

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Dicor self-leveling for horizontal surfaces is most commonly used. Their non-leveling type is for vertical surfaces. And yes, there are other brands out there.

Note: it is not necessary to remove the old caulk from the roof. Just clean it first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Most of these add-on roof sealing systems have long warranty periods. It might be a good idea for you to pursue this with the dealer who you think applied the coating. I hope the warranty is transferable to the new owner.

I just got such a roof renewal job done on my 12 year old Bighorn. I did this not so much for the water sealing properties of the coating (which seems excellent in this respect), but rather for the solar reflective and interior cooling properties of the coating in hot, sunny, Southern California. I had to go up on the roof a few days after it was treated to remove all of the masking tape used. Although the treatment coating used has a quick 2 hour drying time, I was more comfortable with letting it dry for a few days before removing the masking tape than having somebody crawl on it too soon. I found that the silicone seal roof was COLD to the touch in the midday sun, had the slick surface texture of a silicone kitchen trivet pad, and was pretty slippery with the morning dew still on it. I did not stand up on the roof during that episode.

Previous visits on the roof during 75 degree days had the original Dicor rubber roof surface that nearly burned my unprotected hands from solar heating. The new surface was very cold to the touch. The sealing was done with Henry 887 Tropi-Cool 100% Silicone White Roof Coating. This has a Cool Roof Rating Council rating of 114 - about the highest rating they had listed on their website. Henry roof coatings and the installer both give lifetime warranties. The standard cost from the installer was $22 a foot, this included pressure washing, and he also installed 3 missing plumbing vent covers. This was don at my RV park site in Menifee, Ca.

I hope that this is not thread hijacking, but I have been waiting all week for an excuse to share with the forum about this new (to me) roof coating/sealing/cooling upgrade.

https://henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/current/tds/HE887HS_techdata.pdf

GregD904

Dicor self-leveling for horizontal surfaces is most commonly used. Their non-leveling type is for vertical surfaces. And yes, there are other brands out there.

Note: it is not necessary to remove the old caulk from the roof. Just clean it first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the information. I will look for that type of caulk. What do you recommend to clean it with soap and water? Or is there a special solution?

Sent from my iPhone

GregD904

Most of these add-on roof sealing systems have long warranty periods. It might be a good idea for you to pursue this with the dealer who you think applied the coating. I hope the warranty is transferable to the new owner.

I just got such a roof renewal job done on my 12 year old Bighorn. I did this not so much for the water sealing properties of the coating (which seems excellent in this respect), but rather for the solar reflective and interior cooling properties of the coating in hot, sunny, Southern California. I had to go up on the roof a few days after it was treated to remove all of the masking tape used. Although the treatment coating used has a quick 2 hour drying time, I was more comfortable with letting it dry for a few days before removing the masking tape than having somebody crawl on it too soon. I found that the silicone seal roof was COLD to the touch in the midday sun, had the slick surface texture of a silicone kitchen trivet pad, and was pretty slippery with the morning dew still on it. I did not stand up on the roof during that episode.

Previous visits on the roof during 75 degree days had the original Dicor rubber roof surface that nearly burned my unprotected hands from solar heating. The new surface was very cold to the touch. The sealing was done with Henry 887 Tropi-Cool 100% Silicone White Roof Coating. This has a Cool Roof Rating Council rating of 114 - about the highest rating they had listed on their website. Henry roof coatings and the installer both give lifetime warranties. The standard cost from the installer was $22 a foot, this included pressure washing, and he also installed 3 missing plumbing vent covers. This was don at my RV park site in Menifee, Ca.

I hope that this is not thread hijacking, but I have been waiting all week for an excuse to share with the forum about this new (to me) roof coating/sealing/cooling upgrade.

https://henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/current/tds/HE887HS_techdata.pdf

Thank you so much, this is very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thank you for the information. I will look for that type of caulk. What do you recommend to clean it with soap and water? Or is there a special solution?

Sent from my iPhone

Soap and water should suffice unless it's really covered with sticky tree sap. If it is, you may need to clean it with something like this: EternaBond EC-1 EternaClean Spray Cleaner. I used this to clean the caulk areas prior to covering them with 4" Eternabond tape (my rig lives under oak trees all summer).

GregD904

Soap and water should suffice unless it's really covered with sticky tree sap. If it is, you may need to clean it with something like this: EternaBond EC-1 EternaClean Spray Cleaner. I used this to clean the caulk areas prior to covering them with 4" Eternabond tape (my rig lives under oak trees all summer).

Perfect, I was going to ask that as we have a lot of nasty Pine-trees when we park it at home for the summer. I will look to order some of that and clean it.

Sent from my iPhone

Daley07

I highly recommend this Heng's rubber roof coating. I've used it on my RVs for several years. It is super white, which helps cool the RVs in the Texas summers. And, it lasts well, protecting the roof from leaks. It is non-polluting and non-toxic, too. Another positive effect of this product is it provides a bubble-free coating to the roof material. It has an overall consistency, which is quite similar to house paint, which is why it tends to apply easily to the roof membrane’s surface.

Last edited: