Who has upgraded to the MORryde pin box..?

Dmetcalf

I’m thinking about upgrading to this cushion type pin box to alleviate the jerking and improve the ride in the truck. Just wondering what opinions y’all might have good or bad.
thanks

NYSUPstater

I've had the 5th AirBorne hitch on last coach and current one. Very happy with it. Am assuming you're talking about the rubber ride pinbox. Have seen some 5ers w/them, but never asked owners how they liked 'em.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Didn’t upgrade as I ordered my rig with it from the get go. Like it. Smooth ride considering the state of many highways these days. 65K miles across the US and Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PALTeam

Past Indiana Chapter Leaders
I’m thinking about upgrading to this cushion type pin box to alleviate the jerking and improve the ride in the truck. Just wondering what opinions y’all might have good or bad.
thanks

We ordered our 2016 Cyclone with the MorRyde pin box; so far it's worked well. We also have the Trailer Saver hitch, together they're great.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have a Reese 22k hitch that is very comfortable, towing my 18,000Landmark. The trailer came with the Mor Ryde pin box but I had lots of chucking, so I traded it for a Trail-Air pin. Love it! No chucking but do have to add air periodically.

Gaffer

Didn't have it on my 2010 but did on my 2015 Bighorn. Would not be without it. Huge difference in comfort while towing.

jmarnell

We use the Trail Air with our Cyclone 4005 along with an Andersen Ultimate hitch. Works great and a smooth ride.

Dmetcalf

I emailed MORryde to ask if the new pin box came with new hardware and was informed it doesn’t so I absolutely do not want to reuse the old hardware so I purchased 10 Grade 8 hardware to use with the new pin box. That and a little blue Loctite..!

Gary521

There is nothing wrong with the old hardware unless it was damaged during removal. Torque to spec and you will be fine. I would suggest also that you upgrade further to an air type of pinbox like a Fifth Airborne or a Trail air. Air bags on the pickup help further. Chucking is not only back and forth but it is also up and down on the truck suspension.

Dmetcalf

There is nothing wrong with the old hardware unless it was damaged during removal. Torque to spec and you will be fine. I would suggest also that you upgrade further to an air type of pinbox like a Fifth Airborne or a Trail air. Air bags on the pickup help further. Chucking is not only back and forth but it is also up and down on the truck suspension.

I have already purchased the MORryde pin box so I’ll go with that and see how it goes. I do have airbags on the truck that helps with the up & down “some”...
I decided to upgrade to the Grade 8 hardware because it’s not that expensive and is (in my opinion) money well spent.

JMP

I have already purchased the MORryde pin box so I’ll go with that and see how it goes. I do have airbags on the truck that helps with the up & down “some”...
I decided to upgrade to the Grade 8 hardware because it’s not that expensive and is (in my opinion) money well spent.

Dmetcalf - wondering if you could provide a bit more detail on the term "Grade 8 hardware"? Thanks.

Dmetcalf

Dmetcalf - wondering if you could provide a bit more detail on the term "Grade 8 hardware"? Thanks.

A
grade
bolt is stronger than the more commonly used grade 5. It is made of alloy steel and has six radial lines on the top of the bolt head. Grade
bolts have a tensile strength of 150,000 pounds per square inch. We recommend using
grade
nuts, flat washers and high alloy lock washers with any
grade
bolts / hex cap screws.

NYSUPstater

Just out of curiosity, is there a magical number for ft lb of torque used for pin boxes? Is it "one size fits all number"?

PALTeam

Past Indiana Chapter Leaders
Just out of curiosity, is there a magical number for ft lb of torque used for pin boxes? Is it "one size fits all number"?

Here's the torque specs from MorRyde:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://www.morryde.com/uploads/downloads/1463080044-RPB%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf

[/FONT]

JV1

...Anderson hitch? How are you liking it? I just made the purchase and will be installing soon. I am hesitant about the center of where my trailer load will be. Depending on the install it will either be behind or in front of my rear axle. More than likely I’ll be installing with the ball toward my tailgate, (the weight will be about 4-8” off off center toward the tailgate) I was trying to reduce chucking and try a lighter hitch.

I was exploring the mor/ryde as well. Thanks for the info.

2004.5 duramax
efi live Idaho rob
afe mouth piece / afe air intake
egr blocker plate
285/65/r16

2011 road warrior 305

CoveredWagon

...Anderson hitch? How are you liking it? I just made the purchase and will be installing soon. I am hesitant about the center of where my trailer load will be. Depending on the install it will either be behind or in front of my rear axle. More than likely I’ll be installing with the ball toward my tailgate, (the weight will be about 4-8” off off center toward the tailgate) I was trying to reduce chucking and try a lighter hitch.

I was exploring the mor/ryde as well. Thanks for the info.

2004.5 duramax
efi live Idaho rob
afe mouth piece / afe air intake
egr blocker plate
285/65/r16

2011 road warrior 305

Love the Andersen hitch. It eliminates chucking. Easy peasy hook up. I installed the pin adapter hole facing forward to give a couple of extra inches of clearance as I have a 6 1/2 foot box. Also after talking with MorRyde reps I believe thar eliminates any chance of the adapter tending to slip / turn on the MorRyde pin box lower plate.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I have a Reese 22k hitch that is very comfortable, towing my 18,000Landmark. The trailer came with the Mor Ryde pin box but I had lots of chucking, so I traded it for a Trail-Air pin. Love it! No chucking but do have to add air periodically.
So Jay you guys had a noticable difference going from the Mor Ryde to the Trail-Air?
I have been eyeballing that one for quite some time. hmmmmmm.

To Original Poster.
I upgraded my 2011 Landmark Key Largo from the regular standard pin box it came with to a Mor Ryde at the Heartland Rally back in 2015 I believe it was. Mor Ryde themselves came out to the trailer and put it on.
The drive back from Goshen to Texas was very noticeable difference in pull quality.
I am getting rid of that trailer this week and the pinbox will be going with it so I'm debating staying with Mor Ryde on the next trailer or the Trail-Air. The deals at the rally were just too good to pass since I was on the fence at the time and the guys from Mor Ryde from the sales team to the men who came and swapped the box were A+ guys so I don't have any experience with changing it myself.
Definitely a worthy pinbox to upgrade to.

JV1

Love the Andersen hitch. It eliminates chucking. Easy peasy hook up. I installed the pin adapter hole facing forward to give a couple of extra inches of clearance as I have a 6 1/2 foot box. Also after talking with MorRyde reps I believe thar eliminates any chance of the adapter tending to slip / turn on the MorRyde pin box lower plate.

Yes! We have finally been doing some towing with our Anderson hitch and it’s pretty unbelievable not to mention the fact that it’s super easy to remove and install the hitch without breaking my back. No more chucking! Feels solid. All my skepticism prior to the install is gone!