Furnace not igniting

I have a 2008 northtrail 31' bunkhouse. My furnace fan will start blowing and I can hear it try to ignite it just won't fire. I have looked down the vent/intake tubes and no obstructions. Where else can I trouble shoot this problem?
Also my water heater will ignite an run for about 3 minutes then won't work anymore.

danemayer

It sounds like you don't have enough propane flow. First thing is to check that your tanks aren't empty, or nearly empty. Often you can tell by lifting them a bit whether they seem full or empty.

Propane tanks have overflow protection devices that will block propane flow, partially or completely, if the valve is opened too quickly. Try closing both down, wait 15 seconds, then re-open them verrrry slowly.

After re-opening the tanks, but before trying the water heater or furnace, light a range top burner and leave it on for a minute to purge any air in the system.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That both the water heater and furnace won't run does sound like a propane problem and not the appliances. As Dan suggested, check the tanks to see if they are full (or at least not light). If they have been working and this is a recent phenomenon, it is possible that you've been visited by the tank auto-switchover valve gremlins. When this happens, if you have the auto-switch set to one tank and it runs out, the flow changes to the other tank. When the valve indicator fails to change to red on the first tank, you think it still have fuel, but are actually now emptying the second tank. Eventually, you wake up in the cold (BTDT).

The other mistake is to have the selector set in the middle, so it empties both tanks at the same time.

It's not cheap, but investing in the Mopeka tank sensor system (with smartphone readout) is one way to keep an eye on your propane supply without having to heft tanks or rely on the indicator.

I have done recommended procedures. My tanks are not completely full, probably half full. Would my next option be the regulator? Is there a way to test without a nanometer?

JohnDar

Take the tanks and get them refilled. Then try again. What position was the selector on the regulator set to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

With the regulator set to draw from one side yet both tanks feel half empty (or less) sounds like it may be the problem. Both tanks should not be at the same level if it’s working properly.
Mine has failed to indicate it switched over a couple of times. I have a replacement regulator on hand, but haven’t installed it yet. Now with the Mopeka sensors, I can easily check the levels and tell if the regulator is acting up. I’ll probably do the replacement this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

If the water heater has the same problem, it's not likely to be a furnace problem.

Are you sure the furnace is trying to ignite? If outside, can you actually hear the gas valve opening and the igniter firing?

Another element common to both appliances is the need for 12V DC power. You did say the furnace blower is running. But if voltage is low, it's possible you might get the blower up to speed and not get a very good spark.

Check your test panel for 4 lights on the battery level indicator.

I apologize I forgot to mention I just replaced the battery also. Tonight when try to start up furnace, I went outside to exhaust and could hear the igniter ticking and could smell slight propane smell.

danemayer

I apologize I forgot to mention I just replaced the battery also. Tonight when try to start up furnace, I went outside to exhaust and could hear the igniter ticking and could smell slight propane smell.

So, again, if both the furnace and the water heater are failing to ignite, the most likely cause is inadequate propane flow.

Can you light the oven and all burners on the range top? If you can light them all, that would suggest enough propane flow for the water heater, and possibly for the furnace. If not, you may still have a problem somewhere in the propane system.

Looking further for a propane flow problem, with full tanks, opened very slowly, and a new regulator, that eliminates the most common propane flow causes. A less common cause is oil buildup in the tubing, especially if the propane tubing takes a turn and has a low spot between tanks and furnace/water heater.

An alternative theory would go back to electrical. Is it possible there was a violent thunderstorm or other electrical event recently?

Fordguru

So no joke
go outside to heater.have someone turn it on. When you hear it start to tick or try to ignite put your hand over the exhaust quickly and give it some back pressure. It should light, obviously pull your hand away quick

I did this a few times with mine let run and it fixed itself

JohnDar

If they’re clicking, they’re getting electricity. Could be an alignment problem. Any hard bumps or jolts in transit that might have knocked the ignition system out if position?

When our furnace quit a couple of seasons back, it was the circuit board. Years before that, the board for the water heater was the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n3zmw

I haven't read any comments in this thread about the sail switch. If your sail switch is malfunctioning then the furnace will not "see" proper airflow from the blower motor and will not ignite. This happened to me just last month. Check your sail switch. It may be dirty or bad. I found a replacement on Amazon for $10 for my particular unit.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

I have a 2008 northtrail 31' bunkhouse. My furnace fan will start blowing and I can hear it try to ignite it just won't fire. I have looked down the vent/intake tubes and no obstructions. Where else can I trouble shoot this problem?
Also my water heater will ignite an run for about 3 minutes then won't work anymore.

I didn't realize the breaker is attached to others and they were running due to power, so wouldn't have know. Once I flipped breaker it started right up.