New Problem Onan 5500

avvidclif

2015 Onan 5500 HGJAB Generator. I have a new problem and looking for ideas. Onan's troubleshooting list includes everything but the paint job. It has been run regularly on a monthly basis. Currently has just over 400 hours. Tried using it last night and it ran appx 1.5 hrs and shut down. Error code 14, Over Frequency error, IE RPM too high. Reset and in ran abt another hour and it did it again. Reset and ran another hour and same thing. Finally just left it off the rest of the night. It was powering the fridge, converter, and my BIPAP and Oxygen machine. Nowhere close to being overloaded. The gas is abt 6 months old and has Stabil added and when I topped the tank off on the way down I added Seafoam. I have had several problems but this is a first. Once reset it would fire up and run great, for abt an hour. The manual shows it will do this instantly if the Hz (RPM) goes over 70 and when it is 66-70 for 3 continuous seconds. Since I was sleeping each time it shut down I don't know if the RPM increased or not.

Any thoughts. I figure I will try a new fuel filter and spark plugs (about due anyway, 450 hrs) and see what happens. Going out again Thurs for 3 days of generator exercise.

danemayer

For a different Onan model, but it's likely to be valid info anyway.

OVERFREQUENCY – FAULT CODE 14

WARNING Some genset service procedures present hazards that can result in severe personal injury
or death. Only trained and experienced persons with knowledge of fuels, electricity, and machinery
hazards should perform genset service. See Safety Precautions.

Logic: Instantaneous Fault – Frequency greater than 70Hz
Delayed Fault – Frequency greater than 66Hz, but less than 70Hz, for 3 continuous seconds

Possible Causes:
Genset loads, Inverter/Charger, engine governor function, fuel supply, air fuel mixture, exhaust
system, choke, demand regulator, carburetor, generator drive system, generator windings, ignition, wire
connections

Diagnosis & Repair:
1. Verify that Last Fault is FC 14: Yes, continue diagnosis; No, troubleshoot actual last fault.
2. Measure AC current while running genset with vehicle loads: identify faulty or short cycling loads.
3. Determine battery charge rate (typical default is 80 percent): if adjustable reduce to 30 percent.
4. Measure genset load capability with shop load bank (derate for altitude and temperature as necessary).
5. Measure genset frequency and droop while running.
6. Measure AC frequency while changing engine rpm to determine if frequency response matches engine
rpm response: repair damaged generator drive system as necessary.
7. Disconnect genset control P1 connector, verify P1 pins are fully inserted and inspect pin condition per
PSB–676: insert, repair or replace pins as necessary.
8. Reconnect P1 connector and test run genset for fault occurrence: repair or replace pins in connector as
necessary.
9. Check all grounds and neutral leads for looseness at battery, genset, inverter/converter; run genset on
separate battery: tighten or replace terminals and leads as necessary.
10. Check air filter cleanliness; replace air filter as necessary.
11. Check for blocked or damaged exhaust system: repair or replace exhaust components as necessary.
12. If the genset will not stay running measure genset frequency, quadrature winding and main winding voltages
using Break-Out Tool 420–0603 and Instruction Sheet R1098.
13. Gasoline Models
A. Vapor lock may occur in high ambient temperatures: operate in ambients at less than 120°F; verify​
proper installation to prevent air recirculation; correct as necessary.​
B. Verify steady DC voltage at fuel pump while genset is running; repair wiring as necessary.​
C. Run genset on shop fuel supply; verify tank level and fuel line condition in vehicle.​
D. Verify carburetor altitude setting; readjust as necessary.​
E. Verify choke operation, setting and linkage damage; readjust, repair or replace as necessary.​
F. Measure throttle stop frequency; readjust as necessary.​
G. Measure fuel pump pressure/flow: replace fuel filter or pump as necessary.​

carl.swoyer

On my Onan 5500 lp Marquis
I had the over frequency problem. After speaking with Onan corporate office tech support I rebuilt the generator. 650$ for the stator rotor assembly.
Hardest part was reading the tracer numbers on the wires as they all have a specific location. I also put a new belt on. My old one had 1 rib left.
You can test the frequency by plugging in a tester in the outlets in the RV. Picture below is the easiest way.

I might be able to find the service manual and forward it to you, if you interested.
It's the service manual that the Onan techs use.
22736fdf1d0d02e4ac5d5306bfc811e5.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

avvidclif

Thanks but I have the manuals. Just hoping someone had been thru this and an idea where to look. I think I'll start by reseating the connector to the brain and any others I can find. I guess then start it up and see what happens. Or wait till Thursday and run it all day (maybe) and just work on it where I will be.

carl.swoyer

Thanks but I have the manuals. Just hoping someone had been thru this and an idea where to look. I think I'll start by reseating the connector to the brain and any others I can find. I guess then start it up and see what happens. Or wait till Thursday and run it all day (maybe) and just work on it where I will be.
I did have the exact same problem.
Infrequently it was shutting down. The longer I ignored it the more it would happen.
That's why I replaced the stator rotor assembly.
Problem free just over a year.

avvidclif

Dove into it today. Took apart all connectors and applied DeOxit. Checked HZ. 63.1 no load, 61.6 with one AC running. Volts 118.5. Ran for abt 2 hours without a glitch. Fingers crossed.

carl.swoyer

Dove into it today. Took apart all connectors and applied DeOxit. Checked HZ. 63.1 no load, 61.6 with one AC running. Volts 118.5. Ran for abt 2 hours without a glitch. Fingers crossed.
Hopefully the corrosion detox will work.

PapaDirt

On my Onan 5500 lp Marquis
I had the over frequency problem. After speaking with Onan corporate office tech support I rebuilt the generator. 650$ for the stator rotor assembly.
Hardest part was reading the tracer numbers on the wires as they all have a specific location. I also put a new belt on. My old one had 1 rib left.
You can test the frequency by plugging in a tester in the outlets in the RV. Picture below is the easiest way.

I might be able to find the service manual and forward it to you, if you interested.
It's the service manual that the Onan techs use.
22736fdf1d0d02e4ac5d5306bfc811e5.jpg

I could use the manuals… same issue on mine. Just a little over 500 hrs. How much of a bugger was it to get to the generator part? Mines in the rear of the unit and it’s pretty tight in the compartment. I’m guessing you had to pull the genset to work on it?