propane tankless water heater

eddylives

Has anyone here ever tried to bypass their stock tank and use a tankless on demand unit?
I have had issues with our stock 120/gas heater and am considering a change.
I have ordered a portable unit to use for my portable sauna project and thought this might work well for the camper also.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Most of the tankless on demand water heaters are a replacement for what you currently have. Now with your RV not being a Heartland Mfg RV it may be difficult for a correct answer to your question.

jbeletti

Is the portable unit you're contemplating, AC or Propane fueled?

Reason I ask is there's a really old travel trailer a few doors down from me. It's in really bad shape. I ended up helping the older woman who owns it and her family, set it up after it was delivered. I'm being kind when I say it was really old. It's actually in poor shape in all ways imaginable.

Anyway - I noticed that where the water heater door was, there was a hole cut in the door and 2 pieces of 1/2" PEX sticking out the hole with some 90 degree elbows on each piece and some 1/2" fittings on the ends.

Later, we found a portable, 120 VAC water heater on the floor in a corner of the RV. I can only assume the previous owner plugged this water heater into an extension cord to power it, set it up in a short table or a chair, outside of the unit and connected it to the extended plumbing.

My point being - seems that your idea has been done before. I've had propane fueled tankless water heaters before but I've never used or even researched a 120 VAC unit. Unsure how fast they recover or what size their tanks are. This unit was rather small, so I'm guessing maybe 3 gallons.

Keep asking questions, keep researching and consider posting on other RV forums as well - perhaps IRV2 - to reach an even wider audience.

eddylives

This is the unit I purchased for my sauna project. (low flow and pressure propane operated with battery ignition)
It will provide plenty of hot water for a sink and shower.
I chose to go with an offgrid style build having almost everything on 12V for easier operation while boon docking.

1__84120.1549551359.jpg

avvidclif

Wow, at less than $150 from amazon that opens up all sorts of ideas. Let us know how it works out.

eddylives

Wow, at less than $150 from amazon that opens up all sorts of ideas. Let us know how it works out.[/QUOT

I will be sure to add to this post as the progresses over the next few months.
Expecting to receive the water heater as soon as the 26th march.