3rd bad slideout motor ( when this one is replaced 4)

jhardin

I have a Landmark Oshkosh.
The long slide of the slide in slide has had the motor replaced what will be 4 times. The #1 motor at the front of camper. I just replaced the motor the first of January 2020. I have let the slide in and out mabe 4 times.I have been in 1 park for about 3 months. I let the slide in, get home and slide will not go out. The controller flashes 1 green and 8 red lights. I also replaced the cabling to that motor in January also. I am tired of holding my breath wondering if it will retract or extend. Please, any help will be very much appreciated.

jbeletti

Jerry and Angela - sorry to hear about all the slide motor failures. I'm not sure forum members will be able to help you determine the root cause of these persistent failures.

If you've not already don so, I suggest you work directly with Heartland Customer Service (877-262-8032). LCI makes the Schwintek motor and slide mechanism. They too may need to get involved.

My understanding is that there are 2 Schwintek motors (not in your setup, just in general) - each with different gear ratios. I don't think there are stronger ones and I don't think you have any option for another slide mechanism brand or type.

Unsure where you're located but perhaps you can make an appointment with Heartland to get your unit into our Service Center. Maybe they can find something amiss.

RickL

I was at the service center back in July of last year and they replaced every motor in both the big slide and the bed slide. Ron and his guys did a get job. They also adjusted my two hydraulic slides and since the four slides have never worked so well since we have owned our rig. I wouldn’t hesitate to go to the service center if I was you. One caveat though, with what is currently going on now they will not work on your rig without quarantining for at least a week prior to going into the unit. For a full timer that makes it almost impossible so I have my name on a list so once the restriction is removed I can get in to finish some warranty work.

zolman

If they are Schwintek Slides make sure that the installer has the wire harness turned away from the slide. If the harness is turned toward the slide the harness will rub on the slide as it goes in or out. The wire insulation will quickly fray and short out. I owned a Heartland Sunset Trail Reserve and had 3 motors go out because they were installed incorrectly. I found that even the OEM installers were clueless to this issue.

Because of that I always carried a spare motor and got very good at replacing them - the correct way. And they never failed when installed in the correct position.

I actually took the damaged schwintek motors to a electric motor repair shop and had them rewire the harness with heavier gauge wiring and reused them to replace the next motor that shorted out. It was much cheaper than buying a whole new motor and the wiring was much better suited to what the motor was used for.

CDN

B and B
I have slide in slide on my Louisville. No problems yet. I had Schwintek with a SOB TT on a super slide. It was rebuilt as the slide cutout was too small, they replaced al cables and motors. If the slides don't move easily on there own the motors can not pull the slide in. On my Louisville I have added stainless steel on the roller area under the large slide. The rollers only touch while pulling it all the way in put its moves slick a silk because of the steel on the rollers.

Good luck

Brian

jhardin

I have slide in slide on my Louisville. No problems yet. I had Schwintek with a SOB TT on a super slide. It was rebuilt as the slide cutout was too small, they replaced al cables and motors. If the slides don't move easily on there own the motors can not pull the slide in. On my Louisville I have added stainless steel on the roller area under the large slide. The rollers only touch while pulling it all the way in put its moves slick a silk because of the steel on the rollers.

Good luck

Brian

Where did you get the rollers and how did you get the screws out? I have 2 screws on front roller that back out and use a pair of pliers to screw them back down as low as I can get them.

CDN

B and B
The plates are on the underside and line up with the Rollers installed on the frame. 16 gauge stainless sheared at Metal Supermarket. Drilled holes on drill press and used stainless screws to install. The panels are waterproof on the underside with silicone seal. I want to keep this trailer for a while and while the floor could be replaced I choose to make it better. The Slide moves in with no friction at all. I have only done the large slide in slide as it carries a lot of weight.

IMG_5543.JPGIMG_5544.JPG