Electric Awning works Intermitently

farside291

Awning quit extending all at once with no warning, went out about 12 inches then stopped, no blown fuse. Checked switch and it has 12v, went to wires on awning arm and applied 12 volts to motor, awning extended and retracted. Had DW hit switch to extend while checking with volt meter on wires at motor, got 12v each time switch was pressed, positive voltage and negative voltage, 3 or 4 times then nothing. Thought, well at least it is retracted and came inside. Got to thinking, I had 12 volts a couple of times when the switch was hit then nothing, tried it again and noticed the red light on the fuse panel was on when I hit the switch, I changed the fuse and walla, awning worked, extended it and retracted it, while retracting it stopped about 3 inches from all the way retracted. Check fuse, good, tried switch again, nothing, rapidly hit switch to extend and retract, nothing. Tried Lippert remote, nothing, course it didn't work before, only made clicking noises coming from box behind wall. Any ideas, I am fresh out. For now I will climb back on the roof and apply 12 volts to retract awning the rest of the way.

farside291

Sitting here thinking, the wires connect from the RV to the awning using those fold over splices. The ones that use a small metal blade to pierce the two wires then a plastic fold over cap is snapped in place. The splices are not taped just exposed to the elements. I connected 12 volts to the awning motor by touching the jumper wires to the back side of the splices where the back of the metal blade was exposed. Could that have somehow allowed a connection to be made when i connected the 12 volts? Obviously the wiring to the motor and from the switch must be good because it worked momentarily out then in...if only partially back in. Tomorrow I will cut those splices off and connect the wires together by twisting together. if this works I will splice them permanently.

farside291

Surprised I got 5 years out of it. No tape on it, nothing, just the two splices exposed to the elements. They do look corroded. I will let you know if it works when I change them tomorrow after work.

farside291

Re: Electric Awning works Intermitently Solved

Fixed, sure enough those fold over splices were bad where the RV wiring connects to the awning arm. Cut them off and replaced them with butt splices and heat shrinkabe tubing. Works like new.

MCJ

Glad you got it sorted out. From what I just went through with the slide outs, I wouldn't trust any outdoor connections.

wdk450

Those insulation displacement electrical connectors (3M Scotchlok style) have VERY LITTLE METAL/WIRE CONTACT AREA, and are especially unreliable in high current applications. Beware that all of your AC power outlets in your RV are wired this way.

BTW, I hope you are aware that the 12 volt dc fuse indicator LEDS only light when there is a blown fuse AND THERE IS AN ELECTRICAL LOAD ON THE CIRCUIT to complete the circuit for the LED. No lights switch on, no motor switch on, no indicator LED (if fuse is blown).