Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Leaking grey tank valve

  1. Print this Post   #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    CAN - AB
    Posts
    12

    Leaking grey tank valve

    Hey everyone. After being screwed around by the dealer on a warrantable item Iím planning on tacking this one my self. Weíve got a 2015 heartland sundance 3600qb. My main grey valve appears to be leaking. I personally havenít replaced one and donít feel itís too hard however I want to reach out as this trailer has the full under belly on her. Any tips tricks advise or anything you can tell me. Iíve pulled wrenches professionally on heavy equipment for many years. Never done too much on this automotive stuff.

    thank you in advanced.

  2. Print this Post   #2
    Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret) boatto5er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    USA - OK
    Posts
    5,376

    Re: Leaking grey tank valve

    If itís just a small leak, add a Valterra Screw On Valve at the end of the sewer line.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Gus and Debra Funderburg (Founding Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina Chapter Leaders - Retired)
    Romeo and Juliet (the mischievous Dachshunds)
    2011 Landmark Grand Canyon (Code name - The Landmark Diner)
    HOC #1054
    2019 Ford F-350 DRW Crew Cab, 6.7L PowerStroke (The Gray Ghost)

  3. Print this Post   #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    CAN - AB
    Posts
    12

    Re: Leaking grey tank valve

    Quote Originally Posted by boatto5er View Post
    If itís just a small leak, add a Valterra Screw On Valve at the end of the sewer line.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Itís bad enough it needs to be addressed. When it comes to sewers I donít like patches.

  4. Print this Post   #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    CAN - NS
    Posts
    455

    Re: Leaking grey tank valve

    Usually you will not have to replace the valve.
    Most issues with leaking valves are caused by the cable sticking and not closing the blade on the valve or crud buildup on the blade of the valve and not seating properly.
    First thing to do is run your unit up on a couple of planks on the valve discharge side to allow any remaining grey water to run away from the valve assembly to the other side of the tank,,,yes there is still some of that crap in your tank even after draining.
    If you have an enclosed under belly,drop enough of the Coroplast to locate your tanks and valves.

    Have someone pull open and close the valve cable in question so you know which thank to work on..
    There are 4 bolts and nuts holding the valve in the pipe/ tank assembly..they are 7/16 th nuts..remove nuts and bolts, pull pipe back away from valve and take out valve?...There will be 2 rubber o rings on valve. Do Not loose them and make sure they go back into assembly.

    Once out ,you can loosen up set screw on cable at valve, pull cable out and check to see if cable moves freely, clean blade assembly and apply grease to the steel shaft...this shaft slides the blade assembly and goes through a rubber sleeve, this gets dry and the assembly valve sticks, grease it and move it back and forth by hand until it moves freely.
    If it’s the cable that’s sticking you can remove from compartment and soak cable and cable sleeve in transmission fluid for a few minutes to lube

    Re- install and check operation of movement before putting coroplast back into place..

    This process is more time consuming than difficult.
    Good Luck.

  5. Print this Post   #5
    Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired travelin2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA - PA
    Posts
    3,111

    Re: Leaking grey tank valve

    The valve may not need replaced. I still had same issue after dealer ďadjustedĒ the valve on our #2 grey tank. My valve now closes easily with two fingers after some investigation.
    The cable going to the valve was way too long and had too many arcs from the handle to the valve. I rerouted the cable and removed 32Ē of excess.
    My #1 tank is exhibiting the same symptoms so itís on my to do list
    I too have the second valtera valve. Itís good to have regardless


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's All About the Journey"

    Lyle & Nancy Mercer,
    Our Chocolate Labs, Rylee-the Puppy & Cheyenne-RIP
    HOC #2655
    2017 Bighorn 3270RS with 18K MOR/ryde Pin, Titan Disc Brakes
    2014 Bighorn 3010RE Retired (for Someone Else to Enjoy)
    2012 F350 4x4 SD Lariat Crew Cab SRW 6.7L Powerstroke
    Pullrite 20K Super Glide Hitch, 35 Gal In-Bed RDS Aux Fuel Tank
    Firestone 5000 Rear Air Bags, Enkay Rock Tamers



  6. Print this Post   #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    CAN - AB
    Posts
    12

    Re: Leaking grey tank valve

    Quote Originally Posted by rhodies1 View Post
    Usually you will not have to replace the valve.
    Most issues with leaking valves are caused by the cable sticking and not closing the blade on the valve or crud buildup on the blade of the valve and not seating properly.
    First thing to do is run your unit up on a couple of planks on the valve discharge side to allow any remaining grey water to run away from the valve assembly to the other side of the tank,,,yes there is still some of that crap in your tank even after draining.
    If you have an enclosed under belly,drop enough of the Coroplast to locate your tanks and valves.

    Have someone pull open and close the valve cable in question so you know which thank to work on..
    There are 4 bolts and nuts holding the valve in the pipe/ tank assembly..they are 7/16 th nuts..remove nuts and bolts, pull pipe back away from valve and take out valve?...There will be 2 rubber o rings on valve. Do Not loose them and make sure they go back into assembly.

    Once out ,you can loosen up set screw on cable at valve, pull cable out and check to see if cable moves freely, clean blade assembly and apply grease to the steel shaft...this shaft slides the blade assembly and goes through a rubber sleeve, this gets dry and the assembly valve sticks, grease it and move it back and forth by hand until it moves freely.
    If itís the cable thatís sticking you can remove from compartment and soak cable and cable sleeve in transmission fluid for a few minutes to lube

    Re- install and check operation of movement before putting coroplast back into place..

    This process is more time consuming than difficult.
    Good Luck.

    seeing as you sound like you know your sheet is the valve a 1.5Ē or 3Ē for the grey. Or will it depend on the unit. Itís the main grey on my system.

  7. Print this Post   #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    CAN - NS
    Posts
    455

    Re: Leaking grey tank valve

    On my Bighorn the grey valves are 1.5. Hard to say if this is the norm during build. You’ll know when you isolate the one giving you issues..
    Yes I've been there where you are now..mine was the black tank .....so alooooooot messier.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Also as noted by another Heartlander. check the routing of the cable..sometimes the factory staff use whatís available and the cable is too long.

    On my black tank the valve was installed with the blade pulling open facing the rear of the unit.When I re- installed,I put the valve assembly facing forward and was able to go from 10 feet of cable to 5 feet. Now when I pull the handle which is located up front Iím pulling the valve open forward.

  8. Print this Post   #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    CAN - AB
    Posts
    12

    Re: Leaking grey tank valve

    Quote Originally Posted by rhodies1 View Post
    On my Bighorn the grey valves are 1.5. Hard to say if this is the norm during build. Youíll know when you isolate the one giving you issues..
    Yes I've been there where you are now..mine was the black tank .....so alooooooot messier.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Also as noted by another Heartlander. check the routing of the cable..sometimes the factory staff use whatís available and the cable is too long.

    On my black tank the valve was installed with the blade pulling open facing the rear of the unit.When I re- installed,I put the valve assembly facing forward and was able to go from 10 feet of cable to 5 feet. Now when I pull the handle which is located up front Iím pulling the valve open forward.

    trust me. I was greatful that it was the grey water that was leaking. I cannot tell you. I had a sheet hose burst before or was rotted some how. So when this leaked out I was smiling. Kinda.

  9. Print this Post   #9
    Senior Member Gary521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    USA - CO
    Posts
    1,236

    Re: Leaking grey tank valve

    If you have the valve apart, replace the o rings. They are cheap.

  10. Print this Post   #10
    B and B
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    CAN - ON
    Posts
    578

    Re: Leaking grey tank valve

    $3.00 gallon of inexpensive vegetable oil is your easiest way to fix it. I have done this and it does work.
    Brian and Bette
    Wilmot Township
    Ontario, Canada


    2018 Landmark 365 Louisville
    2016 Ford F 350 SD Crew Powerstroke FX4

    Previous
    2017 Bighorn 3575 Elite
    2013 Rockwood 8289WS 5th
    2012 Rockwood 2703SS TT
    2008 Golden Falcon 380 PA Park Model
    1989 Terry Bunk House
    1984 General Coach Corsair 21RB

    2015 Ford SD 250 Powerstroke
    2013 F150 Supercrew Ecoboost 3.5 l
    2009 F150 Supercrew Triton 5.4 l







Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Grey water tank leaking?
    By TxRoadWarrior362 in forum Road Warrior - General Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-25-2017, 01:19 PM
  2. Grey Tank(s) Leaking
    By gotlieb in forum Waste Water Systems
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-06-2012, 03:44 PM
  3. #2 grey tank has no valve
    By jimmar in forum Waste Water Systems
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2012, 01:39 PM
  4. broken grey tank valve
    By J&B in forum Heartland General Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 01:17 PM
  5. Grey tank leaking and repair - detailed
    By jhulstedt in forum Waste Water Systems
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-31-2009, 04:56 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •