Protective cover

ptillett

I am a new RVer and when we purchased this spring, I bought a cover for storage. We purchased a Sundance 2900MK, 5th wheel.

Is putting one of these covers on pretty easy? Any tips from experienced RVers? Besides building a pole barn! LOL

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I used a cover, once. If I remember, the instructions that came with it were pretty clear. I remember having to unroll it on the roof and like painting a floor, work yourself back to the ladder. Make sure it fits snug or it could get torn from high winds. There are mixed reviews on cover. I haven't used one since the first time and it got torn in the wind (Blizzard). Before we went full time we just did the normal winterize routine and opend a couple of vents that were under fantastic covers. Some use a dampness or moisture collection device to help keep things dry. Best yet, go full time, no winterizing or cover worries. LOL

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We haven't covered ours. I like being able to do a walk-around and easily go inside to check it out every time we go out to my son's house (where we keep it). It also helps me daydream about warm weather coming back in a few months.:D

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I am not a fan of covers. If it is lose it will ware the corners and edges causing more problems.

fishn2dmax

Keep than cover really tight!!!

I was a fan of covers until one year my cover came loose ( on my previous 5'er) and I didn't notice it till spring. I agree a cover can really help with UV damage reduction and keep the trailer looking nicer, but if any of the cover is too loose fitting or is allowed to flap in the breeze, you will regret ever putting a cover on it. The edge of the rubber roof is rolled over the top edges, it the cover is allowed to flap against it, it will damage the rubber roof edges and you will see rub markings in the siding and front gel coat cap and vinyl decals ( not good). I no longer use a cover, since it would only take one good wind storm mishap and all the good a cover could have done is more than lost in damage by a cover coming loose for a length of time during during high to moderate winds.

Unless you can check the cover on a weekly or more frequent basis to ensure it is tight and hasn't come loose, I would highly recommend not putting a cover on.

RSIG

I used a cover for 3 yrs. on another trailer. I did have a small wear spot on the roof edge due to a seam in the cover. The plastic extensions on the end of the roof gutters made holes in the cover. You could place foam rubber over these sharp edges. I did like the fact if there was a leak it reduced or eliminated it until you would be using it during the season. There were zippered panel where doors are normally placed. They are on sale until Sunday with free shipping at Campers World . You might have to a Presidents Club member for the free shipping..

Dave

Traveling Two
Cover

We purchased our Sundance 3300SK last August and also purchased a cover for it. My thinking is the cover will protect the sides and decals from the sun's UV. We had a Coachmen for three years, I washed and waxed it twice a year but didn't cover it. When we traded it in for the Sundance you could see where the decals were fadding. Sane thoughts and comments always welcomed.

2wheelD

I purchased two covers for a previous trailer and was very unhappy with the results. After following the manufacturer's instructions, the first one lasted less than a month in the wind (I also covered the corners and sharp spots with cardboard). The replacement lasted only a couple of weeks. Once they get a hole, the wind causes it to leave marks and damage to everything it touches. Beware.