Mallard M231 Dimensions

We just purchased a used 2017 Mallard Ultralite M231. All the literature that I have seen states the length to be 29' 3" and width to be 106". After getting it home I checked the dimensions with a tape and found it to be about 27' from the rear of the bumper to the ball hitch, and the width at 96" not counting any minor protrusions sticking out. Is the literature misprinted or are there different lengths to the same model. The spare tire hanging on the rear bumper does not add an additional 2' to the length. This is our third trailer, but the first that is designed for two persons as our family is all grown. We like the trailer and look forward to getting out as soon as this coronavirus threat passes. Stay healthy and hope to meet a bunch of you all at the campgrounds.

Thanks,
Franknberry

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Franknberry, welcome to this great forum and congrats on your new rig.
The Mallard is built by Heartland to Camping World specs.
So if you feel the literature is in error it's probably best to question Camping World.

Peace
Dave

Flick

Maximum legal width is 102” for any trailer and many are 96”. Since they got that wrong, they probably got the length wrong also. For all the boats or rv’s that I have ever owned, it is always difficult to figure how they get their measurements on the length. It’s generally close.

danemayer

Except for some of the toy haulers, like Cyclone, I think everything in the Heartland lineup is 96" wide. Looking online, it does seem that there are a number of sites showing specs that are likely wrong. However, I can't find a Mallard M231 on the Heartland site, or in any of the Heartland archived brochures for 2017 models.

If you're looking at a printed brochure, it's reasonable to expect that to be accurate (but they usually include disclaimers about the possibility of errors or changes). If you're looking online, other than on the Heartland site, you can hope for accurate info, but don't count on it.

Except for some of the toy haulers, like Cyclone, I think everything in the Heartland lineup is 96" wide. Looking online, it does seem that there are a number of sites showing specs that are likely wrong. However, I can't find a Mallard M231 on the Heartland site, or in any of the Heartland archived brochures for 2017 models.

If you're looking at a printed brochure, it's reasonable to expect that to be accurate (but they usually include disclaimers about the possibility of errors or changes). If you're looking online, other than on the Heartland site, you can hope for accurate info, but don't count on it.

After researching more about my 2017 Mallard M231 travel trailer, I have found that the M231 was only made in 2016. Mine was made in April of 2016, and was purchased in November of 2016. It was then titled as a 2017 model. The M231 was the smallest trailer made in the Mallard line for 2016. Heartland trailers are measured from the hitch to the rear bumper, excluding the spare tire. The actual length of my trailer without the hitch and bumper is exactly 23'1". Is that where the 231 comes from, I don't know. The dimensions have to be misprints. I'm curious as to how many M231s were actually built. I checked for this floor plan on earlier years and later years for both Mallard and North Trail and didn't find any matches. It must not have been a popular layout. No matter, we like it and hope to have it a long time. I'm happy with the way it towed on the way home from the dealer. Using the same hitch and weight distribution bars as my last two trailers, it was smooth, not bouncing or swaying. May have something to do with the wider axle spacing. I'm pulling it with a 2013 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 crew cab with 5.0L V8. Thanks everyone that replied.

Everyone be safe.
Frank