Mini split ductless ac

Noofear

Has anyone tried installing a residential min split ac unit in their trailer?
I plan on spending the summer in the Arizona desert and my rooftop units can't keep up when the temps start hitting the high 90s.
I've got a 42 ft Bighorn and am thinking of mounting an 18k btu compressor on a rack behind the trailer and mounting the inside unit from the roof by my ceiling fan. I would be using this as my main source of cool air.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

danemayer

I haven't heard of anyone doing this, but I was recently in a discussion about using a mini-split A/C in something else. One of the things I noticed was a pretty significant power requirement on many units. Could be 40 amps at 240V. I'd suggest before getting too far into this idea, you check the power requirements and how much power is available to you. 40 amps at 240V would use most of the power available at the typical 50 amp campground pedestal.

Noofear

I forgot to mention that power isn't an issue as I would use this setup on a rv lot I own in Arizona and at my daughters in Montana where power wouldn't be an issue either. Both power pedestals are 100 amp with a 50, a 30 and a 20 amp receptacle.

danemayer

I forgot to mention that power isn't an issue as I would use this setup on a rv lot I own in Arizona and at my daughters in Montana where power wouldn't be an issue either. Both power pedestals are 100 amp with a 50, a 30 and a 20 amp receptacle.

If by 100 amp, you mean you're adding the 50 + 30 + 20 to get 100, you may be unpleasantly surprised. If you mean that there's an upstream 100 amp circuit breaker and matching wire to the pedestal, that might be enough power, but you may still have a challenge wiring in the mini-split, depending on the pedetal.

Typically, a pedestal with 50, 30, 20 receptacles has them all plugged into a buss that's supplied 50 or 60 amps at 240V. If there's an upstream 50 or 60 amp breaker, you'll trip that breaker.

Noofear

Both pedestals have the 100 amp main breaker. I'll be sure to bring this up when I talk to the installer again. I haven't purchased a unit yet so hopefully can find and make one work.

Gary521

Mini splits have been installed in 5th wheels and travel trailers.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0NL1Ybsg3s[/FONT]

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
A neighbor in our rv park with a park model trailer added a mini-split. He had an HVAC tech friend help him install it. He said the mini split cooled the trailer faster and better by itself than the two rv ACs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have heard good things about a mini split unit. I have read that they are available on some high-end fifth wheels.

Gary521

I have a mini split system in my house as I have hot water heat and no heat ducts. Works great.

donr827

I like that LG split system. With the warmer weather we are receiving in the summers the RV industry need to improve the insulation that they use. Also fewer windows would help.

carl.swoyer

I like that LG split system. With the warmer weather we are receiving in the summers the RV industry need to improve the insulation that they use. Also fewer windows would help.
Not everyone wants fewer windows? I certainly wouldn't. If it's hot out we simply close the window shades. The night shades provide a better cooling environment.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

GK2018

I like reading these posts, you can always learn new things. I've done quite a bit of research on secondary AC's and I've never ran across one of these. I'm going to have to research this for more information. My wife and I discussed using one of those portable AC's that sit in the middle of the floor and has wheels to roll around but I like this idea of a more permanent solution if it'd work.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk