Camping in the winter?

Dmaxcc6spd

Can it be done? We may order our Sundance in the next week. We were looking at RV for less in TN. If I recall correctly, Butch & Karen offer a night or two of free camping at a nearby campground. Is this bad in January? Are the units campable in these temperatures?

Thanks from the new guy!

ct0218

The low temps in this area can vary from 0* to mid 50*'s in a matter of days, in a normal winter. We have camped many times in the winter but water connections, and even water lines inside, can or will freeze. Personally, from 0* to 20* would make me reconsider. You will use a lot of propane! High winds in an open area can be the same as a 10* lower temp. That said, there are more days you could comfortably camp than not. I see you're from KY, so I'm sure you're aware of the temp swings in this part of the country. Have fun!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
On important thing to remember when in freezing temps is to us the furnace. The heat from the furnace is what helps warm the basement, not heat from an electric or space heater. Some people put a space heater in the basement but I would be VERY careful when doing that as many fires are caused by space heaters. I have camped in 12 degree weather in New Jersey in the winter and by using a combination space heater and furnace stayed warm and my pipes stayed thawed out but we only used water from our holding tanks and not from a hookup. We also only dumped when the temps were at or close to 32. It is fun and a challenge when winter camping. Good luck and Happy Camping.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I would say to go for it but plan on doing it without water. You can bring water for drinking and maybe washing up but I would think it best to not take a chance on using the plumbing system. You could use the toilet for #1 and rinse/flush manually with windshield washer solvent. I don't know the average temps in that area. If you unit is delivered winterized, I would keep it that way. The furnace should be enough to keep you warm and cozy. If it's at a campground, they may have facilities open for showering etc. Have fun and stay warm.

Dmaxcc6spd

Guess it won't happen. I was so excited, Butch & Karen have Sundance listed on their website, but don't carry that line. Major bummer, I was really hoping to buy an RV from them.

Tankie

We are camping in our 3670 this winter and temps have already dipped to 19. We have our water line wrapped in heat tape covered with foam pipe insulation. We also keep the furnace around 70 at nite to make sure the basement and water lines stay warm. When temps stay below 32 we use the furnace more than the space heater.

Dmaxcc6spd

If you move around from site to site you will obviously want to keep some water on board. Do you run the heater while you travel? What do you do if you leave for home in cold temperatures to prevent freezing?

Tankie

We are here working so we will not be moving until Feb. or March. we emptied or fresh water tank because we went home for holiday just left the heat on and did not have a problem. We do not usally travel with heat on but have not moved in freezing temps. We left it on one time and it was fine. I try not to move in bad weather not because of freezing but because of snow and ice we are in Wa. and passes can be bad, so I should of said we are living in our 3670 not camping. You need to get a poly. water hose to handle the heat tape the rubber one will not handle it. Plus the park we are in has their sites winterized.

vangoes

One thing I have not seen mentioned is the hot water heater. The first thing I do if I am going to be traveling with temps < 32 is drain the hot water heater and open the low point drains. I had a friend once that the hw heater froze and replacement is not cheap. Last winter I took a 10 hr. trip with temps around 25 and did not run the furnace and did not have any problems when I arrived other than it was cold and took a long time to bring the unit up to a comfortable temperature.

rick7t7

We bought our 3670RL from Butch and Karen last February. The temps were cold (low 30's) and a major storm blew through during the day we arrived. They allowed us to stay on their lot (lighted and gated with hookups) for 2 nights to check out/use all the systems on the RV and to show us how everything worked. Then we moved to Creekside Campground in nearby Pigeon Forge,TN for the 2 free nights that Butch and Karen had arranged. This is a very nice campground. Butch and Karen at RVs or Less are the greatest and are very helpful.