Running speaker wire

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've never tried to run a wire in the ceiling because of either trusses or foam insulation possibly obstructing the run.
You might be better off going through the underbelly. I've done that and it's pretty easy..... kinda.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

As Cookie mentions, running a wire in the ceiling is difficult. I believe your coach has a block-foam laminated ceiling - so, really hard to run a wire in it. And then there's the issue of getting the wire into the ceiling from the soundbar that's in a slide.

Consider this instead...

Route a speaker wire from the sound bar, down to the base of the entertainment cabinet and out a small hole in the slide room floor next to where the coax cables come through. Then route the speaker wires along with the coax, through the flex guard and into the same hole in the frame.

Remove the screws and washers along the edge of the frame that pin the coroplast up so you can reach into the frame and locate, then pull through, your new speaker wire and route the wire in the underbelly, forward until you reach the area of the UDC. At that point, fish it up into the utility area through the area where the main deck meets the drop frame (storage deck). From there, route up to the bedroom in an area that best suits your needs.

There are ways to get the wire up to the ceiling at that point but still, fishing it within the ceiling to where you want/need is going to be tough. You could route it inside the air conditioner duct. I have successfully done this. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Alternate underbelly wire fishing process and how I do it...

1. Gather a number of fiberglass wire push rods (I have cheap ones from Harbor Freight)
  2. Remove the rear-most wall that separates your storage bay from the utility area behind that wall
  3. The step above, exposes the gap between the main floor deck and the storage floor deck. Keeping it as high as possible, in the center of that gap (left-to-right), push your first rod back towards the rear of the coach
  4. Continue to add more rods to the end of the previous, keeping the long rod as high as you can and keep pushing them rearward
  5. Keep note of how many sections you've used and their total length. When you can push no further, armed with the knowledge of how many feet back the end of the first rod is, over on the off-door-side of the coach, remove screws/washer for about 4 feet of underbelly
  6. Push the coroplast, flex foil and fiberglass insulation down so you can get a flashlight, your hand/arm and maybe your head into the underbelly to look for the end of the fiberglass rod. Find it and pull it out the opening you put your hands into
  7. Carefully and securely wrap, then tape your speaker wire to the rod
  8. Go back to the storage bay and pull the other end of the rod out, removing sections as you go until you've pulled your speaker wire out
Half the battle is over. Celebrate, then get back to it!

heartland-landmark-lm-arlington (1).jpg

Routemaster

This how I tackled the project bought a Flex Guard mounted it at the fridge end of slide rerouted back my fridge 1/4 pipe to the basement for a 5gall water bottle with the pump as I lost the 3way valve through the freeze.
Second I ran a HDMI cable with splitter from living tv to the bedroom tv to mirror Dish programs as well as the speaker cable. later for speakers.
Cable and HDMI went up through new hole in the floor in behind chest of draws in the kitchen.
Up through into the space where the pump is along the removable panel a curb side base door and up.
My thought process about the ceiling was because our Everest had speakers in the ceiling.
Make sense.

Thanks.
Den.

Attachments

• New Flex Guard.JPG
    New Flex Guard.JPG
    496.7 KB · Views: 34
  • New Flex Guard (2).JPG
    New Flex Guard (2).JPG
    448.9 KB · Views: 31

jbeletti

Den - I assume your Arlington does not have speakers in the bedroom ceiling? Reason I mention this is that for many years, Landmark did have speakers in the bedroom ceiling and that wiring went to the entertainment slide.

Nice work on the water and HDMI cable. Maybe just one more set of wires to go :)

Routemaster

Right Jim no speakers in the bedroom. I tell you being this Landmark is so long we could do with a intercom ha-ha :).