Adding a second battery?

I am New to the trailering side of travel and de died to jump 8n with both feet.

I have a 2014 Elkridge and to my surprise it has only one battery. Is this normal for unit that large 34QSRL?

Is it conceivable or even a good idea to add a second battery if only to extend usage and add a solar trickle charge?

David

danemayer

Hi David,

I think 1 battery is standard unless the trailer comes with a residential refrigerator, in which case it comes with 2 batteries.

Adding a 2nd battery is pretty easy, subject to available space. And you may need a 2nd or larger battery box.

Hi David,

I think 1 battery is standard unless the trailer comes with a residential refrigerator, in which case it comes with 2 batteries.

Adding a 2nd battery is pretty easy, subject to available space. And you may need a 2nd or larger battery box.

There is not enough room in battery compartment for a second battery, but I can mount a box and vent in the forward compartment pretty easily.

sengli

I ran my big horn for 5 years on one single battery. Never really had an issue with anything operationally with that set up. If your plugged in somewhere, its kind of a mute point. Adding a second battery, unless your boon docking a lot really wont buy you much. Just a thought.

avvidclif

I have always run 1 battery but I do change it out for a larger one, 100AH AGM. Never had a problem. BUT we seldom boondock and even when we do the generator gets run.

donr827

I always added a second battery. I kept my trailer at a storage lot and felt better having more juice if needed. I had a instance where one of the batteries developed a bad cell. It cause the other battery to go dead but was able to bring it back after charging. Gave me time to buy a new battery.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I am New to the trailering side of travel and de died to jump 8n with both feet.
I have a 2014 Elkridge and to my surprise it has only one battery. Is this normal for unit that large 34QSRL?
Is it conceivable or even a good idea to add a second battery if only to extend usage and add a solar trickle charge?
David

2015 Elkridge. Only a single battery. Located in small compartment below the hydraulic pump for the slides. I Purchased two new batteries in February as well as a second battery box. Plan to mount in forward compartment on left side closest to the wall near the other original battery location. There is a small opening to feed Battery wires through to the second battery. That is on me “To do list”.

Thank you for all your responses.

it turns out, the new battery I purchased was bad and wouldn’t keep a charge. After replacing it with another new battery all seems well. I just hope the unit doesn’t have a habit of kills batteries.