Big Country Roof Help Needed

Can someone with a Big Country post a picture of the roof caulking at the transition between the roof and the rain gutter edge? It would be much appreciated.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not a great pic but here you go.

26f7c60ddfb2c62778dc501daa05fcac.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again. The crap silicone the Heartland put on it at the factory lasted one year. I spent the weekend putting the Dicor non sag on the best that I could but doesn't look as nice as yours.

Gary521

The stuff Heartland initially put on is not silicone, just to be clear. Silicone is not to be used on any part of the roof.

The stuff Heartland initially put on is not silicone, just to be clear. Silicone is not to be used on any part of the roof.

You are right, it isn't supposed to be used but you will have a very hard time convincing me that they didn't. It pulled off in long pieces with no adhering to roof, lasted just over 1 year on a brand new unit. And if it wasn't silicone, it was the crappiest caulk available.

NYSUPstater

I finally climbed up on top yesterday after having the coach here for past month. I did do some "touch up" last year w/ a no-no product, but it held up. However after looking at both sides, front to back, ALL the factory sealant was IMO shot beyond shot. Lots of cracks and gaps. So off to RV dealer I've used since '05 and bought some Dicor sealant. Asked what do to and they said to use a plastic putty knife to remove old stuff. Thought I had one, didn't, so found a plastic window squeegee (used for window tint) and went town removing all the old stuff from both sides. Once done (actually did 1 side 1st), applied the new Dicor. No drying time mentioned on tube as I wanted to apply a 2nd coat. Figured dry to the touch is ok. So after I did the one side/coat, did the other side. By the time I was done w/ 2nd side, 1st side was dry, so applied 2nd coat. Knees were killing me, getting late in day and temps were cooling off, so 2nd coat didn't get done to 2nd side. Will do that today before it rains and warms up (lil cool this am.....28*).

While on this subject, can the same Dicor be used on any place factory sealant was used and now not 100% ??? End caps and such?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
First off, it is not necessary to remove the old caulking on the roof unless it’s coming off on its own. You risk damaging it since it bonds to the rubber. Just a good cleaning is needed. When I recaulked, I used a plastic putty knife to gently smooth the new caulk, more for appearance than anything else. But two years ago, I just used 4”Eternabond over every joint up there. This year, I’m planning on doing the same along the gutter line with 2” tape.

TravelTiger

For Dicor self leveling sealant, I believe it can be applied on top of the old. I would remove any that was coming lose.

As for Dicor non-leveling, no sag sealant, I use this all over the rig. It seems to hold up fairly well, but is kinda sticky compared to some other caulks.

On my 2016 Big Country with cream-colored fiberglass, the “Ivory” color seems to match very well.

Ellie

NYSUPstater

I went w/ the clear stuff and smoothed out w/ good 'ol finger. All in all, didn't see any gaps or holes when done. Same w/ the 2nd side. Eternabon is on the get list to carry.

Tiger---When you have your new Flex Armour roof put on, will they do or does it come down the sides to the trim piece as as to not have to worry about this area again ??

TravelTiger

I went w/ the clear stuff and smoothed out w/ good 'ol finger. All in all, didn't see any gaps or holes when done. Same w/ the 2nd side. Eternabon is on the get list to carry.

Tiger---When you have your new Flex Armour roof put on, will they do or does it come down the sides to the trim piece as as to not have to worry about this area again ??

Yessssss! They carry it down to over the gutter transition on the sides, over the union with the front cap, and over the transition of the roof to the rear wall in our case. Here are examples from their website:

02a2c0df197a04e1d945a037d60658dd.png

Front
8d5984b52f0db6dd167aefa3db63282c.png