Converter Chaos Bighorn 3610re 2010

Jed

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, this is my first post.

I have had a reasonable look around the site to see if my questions are already out there. I did not find what I need, so I could use some help.

Am I correct in assuming that if I am connected to shore power, all the 12 volt needs are supplied by the converter, not the battery?

IF the above is true, I don't think that my converter is working correctly, the only 12v power comes from the battery; a month back I hooked up an external charger after my onboard charger took a dive. It seems I have the Inteli Power 9200, according to the info I got with the rig (I have only had it 6 months - my first 5th wheel!).

I would like to find the converter and at least take a look to see if the crossconnetion fuses have blown, which leads me to my next question, WHERE IS IT??? I did see a post suggesting that it could be in the right storage area, aft wall. But before I unload the storage area and start taking it to pieces, I thought I would ask! All assistance appreciated.

You have a fabulous forum.

danemayer

Hi Jed,

I'm pretty sure you'll find the Power Converter behind the rear wall of the pass through basement storage. Take down the panel closer to the Universal Docking Center (UDC) where the plumbing connections are located. There may be 3 screws that are taken out from the UDC and another couple taken out from inside the pass through storage. A magnet will help you locate the screws that are hidden in the felt.

You may find our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide helpful in running down the problem. We also have a broader Electrical User Guide that may help.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Jed welcome to this great forum.
Your kinda right about the battery supplying all the 12 volt power but the converter is always monitoring and keeping the battery topped off.
Near your battery you should see a bank of 12 volt breakers. They are usually protected by red rubber boots. Most are self resetting, one is not. That one has a small, like tiny, manual reset button. Press it. If tripped your battery will not charge.
If you still need to find the converter you will have to remove the wall in your basement.
You may have blown fuses, it came unplugged or its shot.
Another thing to look at is being sure that the receptacle the converter plugs into has power.

Peace
Dave

Jed

Hi Jed,

I'm pretty sure you'll find the Power Converter behind the rear wall of the pass through basement storage. Take down the panel closer to the Universal Docking Center (UDC) where the plumbing connections are located. There may be 3 screws that are taken out from the UDC and another couple taken out from inside the pass through storage. A magnet will help you locate the screws that are hidden in the felt.

You may find our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide helpful in running down the problem. We also have a broader Electrical User Guide that may help.

Thanks for your quick response! I see 3 screws on the left side, vertically in the UDC, and then looks like 3 screws vertically about midway inside the storage. I assume these plus some possibly hidden screws elsewhere on the wall. This is the part where I wish I was 4 ft tall, not 6ft... Thanks again, I shall let you know how it goes!

danemayer

Before digging in, check the main circuit breaker panel. There's a dedicated breaker for the converter. Flip it off and back on.

If you end up in the basement and find that the converter is unplugged, after plugging it back, tie it into place.

Jed

Hey Jed welcome to this great forum.
Your kinda right about the battery supplying all the 12 volt power but the converter is always monitoring and keeping the battery topped off.
Near your battery you should see a bank of 12 volt breakers. They are usually protected by red rubber boots. Most are self resetting, one is not. That one has a small, like tiny, manual reset button. Press it. If tripped your battery will not charge.
If you still need to find the converter you will have to remove the wall in your basement.
You may have blown fuses, it came unplugged or its shot.
Another thing to look at is being sure that the receptacle the converter plugs into has power.

Peace
Dave

Hey Dave, thanks for the speedy response too! I did find and check the "breaker" yesterday - the button is wobbly to the touch and seems to be in a normal state. I had not seen that type of breaker until yesterday, when I found another piece of the RV puzzle.

Not sure if this is an appropriate follow on question but, assuming I need to replace the converter, at some point I may wish to explore solar options - most likely 18 months down the road. Should I be looking at a different converter from the 9200, or are things likely to have advanced in 18 months to not worry about it now and just drop the $200 ish on a new 9200?

Thanks again,

Jed

- - - Updated - - -

Before digging in, check the main circuit breaker panel. There's a dedicated breaker for the converter. Flip it off and back on.

If you end up in the basement and find that the converter is unplugged, after plugging it back, tie it into place.

Thanks for the advice and speed! I did a hard shutdown yesterday, I reset all the breakers, and unplugged from shore. I did NOT check all the 12v fuses next to the breakers, but did not see one listed for the charging element. I could have missed it perhaps? It never occurred to me that the unit may have simply unplugged itself! I appreciate the tip about tying it in place. Jed.

Gary521

A couple things. The 12 v power comes from the battery not the converter. This was stated but not to directly answer your first question or assumption. The battery charger is part of the converter. You stated that the charger failed. Well. it probably did not fail but the breaker tripped. The little button on the side of the breaker is difficult to tell if it tripped or not. You can almost hear it click to reset but it only takes a tiny bit of pressure to reset it. The company that makes the converter has a web site that tells you how to check the converter or you can call them for help. As far as the panel that you are removing to gain access to the converter, most of us have modified this panel so that it has hinges or pins that can be used to allow easy access to the area. The water pump and other things are there that may need to be serviced.

Jed

A couple things. The 12 v power comes from the battery not the converter. This was stated but not to directly answer your first question or assumption. The battery charger is part of the converter. You stated that the charger failed. Well. it probably did not fail but the breaker tripped. The little button on the side of the breaker is difficult to tell if it tripped or not. You can almost hear it click to reset but it only takes a tiny bit of pressure to reset it. The company that makes the converter has a web site that tells you how to check the converter or you can call them for help. As far as the panel that you are removing to gain access to the converter, most of us have modified this panel so that it has hinges or pins that can be used to allow easy access to the area. The water pump and other things are there that may need to be serviced.

Thanks for the clarification. You have such a great stash of resources. I saw some of the basement mods last night. Inspirational.

danemayer

A couple things. The 12 v power comes from the battery not the converter. This was stated but not to directly answer your first question or assumption. The battery charger is part of the converter. You stated that the charger failed. Well. it probably did not fail but the breaker tripped.
Gary,

I have to disagree a bit. If the 12V DC mini-circuit breaker is tripped, or the battery is dead, while on shore power, the Power Converter should still supply enough power for all internal trailer functions. And when everything is working correctly, the fuse box inside the trailer gets power from both the Power Converter, and from the battery. As I recall, on my Landmark, the wires from Power Converter and batteries come together at the fuse box.

mlpeloquin

You might want to turn that angled wall in the storage bay into a door for access. Everything is accessible behind it. You can also use inch and a half aluminum angle on top and one inch on the bottom to form channels. Then shorten the access panel up so it can be lifted into the top channel and then seated into the bottom one. That way you do not have it in the way when it is open. Put some drawer handles on the panel as well.

The out put of the converter is fused and the converter itself is plugged in to a socket. I remember one person posted in the past that the plug worked its way out. Some Camping World(s) do stock them. Don't ask me why I know. Good luck.

pegmikef

Gary,

I have to disagree a bit. If the 12V DC mini-circuit breaker is tripped, or the battery is dead, while on shore power, the Power Converter should still supply enough power for all internal trailer functions. And when everything is working correctly, the fuse box inside the trailer gets power from both the Power Converter, and from the battery. As I recall, on my Landmark, the wires from Power Converter and batteries come together at the fuse box.

Exactly.

Gary521

Gary,I have to disagree a bit. If the 12V DC mini-circuit breaker is tripped, or the battery is dead, while on shore power, the Power Converter should still supply enough power for all internal trailer functions. And when everything is working correctly, the fuse box inside the trailer gets power from both the Power Converter, and from the battery. As I recall, on my Landmark, the wires from Power Converter and batteries come together at the fuse box.
You are right in correcting me. I was not thinking clearly when I wrote this. I was having 12v issues and the solution was that the mini breaker was tripped. I thought my interior lights were out at the same time but as I try to remember the situation I cannot. I hope I did not mislead anyone. Anyhow, check the mini breaker anyway.

Jed

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, this is my first post.

I have had a reasonable look around the site to see if my questions are already out there. I did not find what I need, so I could use some help.

Am I correct in assuming that if I am connected to shore power, all the 12 volt needs are supplied by the converter, not the battery?

IF the above is true, I don't think that my converter is working correctly, the only 12v power comes from the battery; a month back I hooked up an external charger after my onboard charger took a dive. It seems I have the Inteli Power 9200, according to the info I got with the rig (I have only had it 6 months - my first 5th wheel!).

I would like to find the converter and at least take a look to see if the crossconnetion fuses have blown, which leads me to my next question, WHERE IS IT??? I did see a post suggesting that it could be in the right storage area, aft wall. But before I unload the storage area and start taking it to pieces, I thought I would ask! All assistance appreciated.

You have a fabulous forum.

UPDATE: Thanks for all your help! I have been able to locate and remove the old converter, it had indeed gone bad. A new one is on its way and I should have it installed within the week. I could not have found this without your help. Thanks again to all.