39MB Window Behind the TV?

traversjs

Has anyone added a window behind the TV? We are thinking of adding a televator to lower the TV behind the fireplace. This would give us more counter space when the TV is down. Also thinking of adding a picture window behind the TV. This way when the TV is down we can see out that side of the trailer. The televator seems fairly straight forwards as there is lots of unused space behind the fireplace. I'm interested in what it takes to add the window? Any advise would be appreciated.

rhodies1

You should contact Heartland before you start cutting into your wall. You could seriously affect the structure strength of your unit and affect any warranty that you may or may not have on your unit.
Theres a good chance that there is not the proper framing structure in the rear wall to install a window.

BE Careful..

traversjs

You should contact Heartland before you start cutting into your wall. You could seriously affect the structure strength of your unit and affect any warranty that you may or may not have on your unit.
Theres a good chance that there is not the proper framing structure in the rear wall to install a window.

BE Careful..

I fully intend to consult with Heartland before cutting into the wall. It would be very helpful to know where any studs are and if they are wood or aluminum. I figure at a minimum the televator would be a good improvement. The window and televator would cost less than $500 so this would make for a great feature if Heartland wanted to add it.

Garypowell

Our 2013 Bighorn 3010 does have the drop down tv and picture window behind it.

the drop down tv has always worked great but in reality the only reason it is there is because of the window.

I have blocked off the window because anytime the sun is up the light that comes through that widow made it extremely difficult to watch tv....even with the day/night shade down.

certainly the structural point is very valid too.

I have never been a big fan of windows. I suppose if I were a boon docker out in the middle of nowhere they would give nice views but being an RV park only person all they give me is a view of the trailer next door. So our windows shades are generally closed all the time.

danemayer

Heartland may be reluctant to give you much help on this as they don't generally get involved in customers making modifications; especially to the structure. You might be able to get them to send a drawing that shows the side wall construction - maybe. But you will still have to locate the vertical framing yourself. You shouldn't trust the drawing to give you more than a general idea.

Also, assuming an aluminum/foam/luan/fiberglass wall structure, you'd probably want to cut an opening between 2 existing verticals, to minimize structural impact. And then you'll have hanging vertical supports above and below that will have to be framed. And all this will have to match the size of a window, or the window will have to match the size of the cutout.

Some people have the skills to do a job like this and do it well. If you're in that small group, it'll probably be a nice modification to your trailer. If you're not sure about your skill level for this job, consider that once started, if you get stuck, you might find it very difficult to find help to get the job finished.

If possible, take a lot of pictures as you go. Someone might want to follow in your footsteps.

CDN

B and B
Easiest way is to look at the walls on a cool morning to see the dew lines of the structure. A metal detecting stud sensor can be helpful as well.

Take picture and let us know how the work goes.