Repack Wheel Bearings

Well for the lack of something to do, with this "Stay at Home" order. I've done about everything else I could think of, short of washing and waxing, if it ever quits raining. Then thought well old boy you haven't checked or repacked the wheel bearings. Knowing that the wheel bearings should be repacked each year, I dutifully set about doing that.

Yesterday was a great day, 73-76 degrees, little or no humidity, so with a tub of wheel bearing grease and appropriate tools I sat about removing the wheel from the Passenger side front axle. Whew those lug nuts were tight, but with a long breaker bar, they gave in. Well got the wheel and tire removed and sat aside, and went to work removing the dust cap. Noticed that I had the zerk fittings, that's nice, but not one for just squirting some grease in those and counting it repacked. For one thing I didn't know what type of grease was in there and you don't want to mix grease, oftentimes it doesn't work out so good. Got the dust cap off straightened the cotter pin and removed it and the castle nut.

Pulled the drum off and cleaned the front nose bearing and race. The bearing was a little discolored, but no play, and I might mention that prior to removing the wheel and tire I had rotated the wheel several times and heard no growling of the bearings at all. Well the discoloration worried me somewhat so off to my trusted NAPA counter man, (Very knowledgable from past experience, remember this is a farming area), he examined the bearings and said he would sell me a new on if I wanted but the bearing and race were good.

So back to the job, cleaned everything up got all the old black grease out of the drum, got the grease seal out of the hub and released the rear bearing, it looked great. Then using the grease in the hand method, repacked the bearings with fresh High Temp red axle bearing grease. Put the grease seal back in properly aligned with a piece of two by four :), slipped the hub back on and placed the Front bearing, washer and castle nut back on the axle. screwed the castle nut back down until it locked the drum then eased it back about 1/4 turn. Checked the drum for play front to rear, and side to side, none. Replaced the cotter pin and dust cap, tire and wheel back on and lug nuts torqued down.

Went to the rear axle and repeated the same on the passenger side. Was going to do the drivers side today but the weather isn't cooperating, so it will have to wait until Monday, I'll post some pictures then.

So how was your day.
God Bless and Have a Great One.
Sure wish the Missouri Rally had not been cancelled, got a feeling everything will be back opened by May 14th. :(

MTPockets

Well for the lack of something to do, with this "Stay at Home" order. I've done about everything else I could think of, short of washing and waxing, if it ever quits raining. Then thought well old boy you haven't checked or repacked the wheel bearings. Knowing that the wheel bearings should be repacked each year, I dutifully set about doing that.

Yesterday was a great day, 73-76 degrees, little or no humidity, so with a tub of wheel bearing grease and appropriate tools I sat about removing the wheel from the Passenger side front axle. Whew those lug nuts were tight, but with a long breaker bar, they gave in. Well got the wheel and tire removed and sat aside, and went to work removing the dust cap. Noticed that I had the zerk fittings, that's nice, but not one for just squirting some grease in those and counting it repacked. For one thing I didn't know what type of grease was in there and you don't want to mix grease, oftentimes it doesn't work out so good. Got the dust cap off straightened the cotter pin and removed it and the castle nut.

Pulled the drum off and cleaned the front nose bearing and race. The bearing was a little discolored, but no play, and I might mention that prior to removing the wheel and tire I had rotated the wheel several times and heard no growling of the bearings at all. Well the discoloration worried me somewhat so off to my trusted NAPA counter man, (Very knowledgable from past experience, remember this is a farming area), he examined the bearings and said he would sell me a new on if I wanted but the bearing and race were good.

So back to the job, cleaned everything up got all the old black grease out of the drum, got the grease seal out of the hub and released the rear bearing, it looked great. Then using the grease in the hand method, repacked the bearings with fresh High Temp red axle bearing grease. Put the grease seal back in properly aligned with a piece of two by four :), slipped the hub back on and placed the Front bearing, washer and castle nut back on the axle. screwed the castle nut back down until it locked the drum then eased it back about 1/4 turn. Checked the drum for play front to rear, and side to side, none. Replaced the cotter pin and dust cap, tire and wheel back on and lug nuts torqued down.

Went to the rear axle and repeated the same on the passenger side. Was going to do the drivers side today but the weather isn't cooperating, so it will have to wait until Monday, I'll post some pictures then.

So how was your day.
Sure wish the Missouri Rally had not been cancelled, got a feeling everything will be back opened by May 14th. :(

That’s hard work.... did you replace any of the bearings? That discolored bearing troubles me as it’s a sign of heat. Over Heating will affect the surface hardness and lead to premature failure. I would replace at least that bearing and raceway.

rhodies1

I agree...,if the bearing was dark in color than its a sign of heat.for the price of a bearing and race,just replace it...eventually you will need to replace anyway because it’s going to fail.

Lou_and_Bette

Now, I'm no mechanic by any definition of the term, but my SIL teaches that subject in VocTech and, when I found a bearing with a slight discoloration, I took it to him for his opinion. He indicated that the bearing was still good, similar to the OP's parts man's recommendation. My SIL told me that the discoloration was probably due to the RV sitting for a prolonged period of time with the weight sitting on the same place on the bearing. It should be noticed that there was no discoloration or other marks on the rollers themselves. These bearings have been in constant use for over 3 years now with no further discoloration, I periodically rotate wheels now, or other problems with the bearings in question. YMMV

rhodies1

Well I certainly hope you have no issues down the road. 10 bucks for a bearing and race. Cheap peace of mind.
My dad was a heavy duty mechanic for 45 years.. his motto was pay now or pay later. He always stressed to me,walk on the side of caution..better to repair it now or on the side of the road later.
JMO.
GOOD LUCK.

Now, I'm no mechanic by any definition of the term, but my SIL teaches that subject in VocTech and, when I found a bearing with a slight discoloration, I took it to him for his opinion. He indicated that the bearing was still good, similar to the OP's parts man's recommendation. My SIL told me that the discoloration was probably due to the RV sitting for a prolonged period of time with the weight sitting on the same place on the bearing. It should be noticed that there was no discoloration or other marks on the rollers themselves. These bearings have been in constant use for over 3 years now with no further discoloration, I periodically rotate wheels now, or other problems with the bearings in question. YMMV

Thanks Lou, that's exactly what I found, just slight discoloration, but nothing else wrong, no play in the bearing, and when reinstalled no play in the wheel or growling when spun. So you can bet I am going to keep a close eye on it, probably several times during the season, the axle will be lifted and the wheel checked for any play or indication that the bearing is going south. I carry the tools I need to change it if the need arrises.

Thanks everyone God Bless

- - - Updated - - -

That’s hard work.... did you replace any of the bearings? That discolored bearing troubles me as it’s a sign of heat. Over Heating will affect the surface hardness and lead to premature failure. I would replace at least that bearing and raceway.

Well, the discoloration wasn't blue like it would be if it were heat, my opinion, it was slightly brownish in color. No bumps or metal transfer nothing like that the bearing surfaces were perfect. Anyhow you can bet I'm gonna keep an eye on it. So far the other bearings are looking like new. :) Thanks for reading the post, and God Bless

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired

So how was your day.

That is a great description of how to pack bearings. With a description
of the whole process.

MTPockets

Thanks Lou, that's exactly what I found, just slight discoloration, but nothing else wrong, no play in the bearing, and when reinstalled no play in the wheel or growling when spun. So you can bet I am going to keep a close eye on it, probably several times during the season, the axle will be lifted and the wheel checked for any play or indication that the bearing is going south. I carry the tools I need to change it if the need arrises.

Thanks everyone God Bless

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the discoloration wasn't blue like it would be if it were heat, my opinion, it was slightly brownish in color. No bumps or metal transfer nothing like that the bearing surfaces were perfect. Anyhow you can bet I'm gonna keep an eye on it. So far the other bearings are looking like new. :) Thanks for reading the post, and God Bless

understood, discolored could also be surface rust fro moisture, possible condensation. Anything other than perfectly clean shiny steel would be problematic. Not worth risking failure on the road. I wouldn’t trust any other advice.