Help! - Electrical Cord Question

I have a 2012 Heartland park model, the male plug coming out of camper is 3 prong one is curved one looks like the #7 the other a letter L the center looks like a pin inserts into it 50A 250 is written on it. The name brand is Conntek.
Where do I find a FEMALE plug to match it for my power cable?

Re: Help!

Is this what you're looking for?

You might think about just buying a new cord.
Sure looks like it. I must have a unique situation bought the camper used no cord came with it. That is the plug but on the camper it says 30AMP right above the 50 amp male plug. Beats me.
I am going to order the plug you showed me and wire it to a cord set up for 30 amp.

danemayer

Sure looks like it. I must have a unique situation bought the camper used no cord came with it. That is the plug but on the camper it says 30AMP right above the 50 amp male plug. Beats me.
I am going to order the plug you showed me and wire it to a cord set up for 30 amp.

The connector I linked to is 50 amp with 2 hot legs, a neutral, and a ground. If your trailer has 30 amp service, that's the wrong connector. A 30 amp trailer has 1 hot leg, a neutral and a ground.

Before doing anything, check the main circuit breaker panel inside the trailer to see whether the main breaker(s) is a single 30 amp breaker, or two 50 amp breakers tied together.

If your trailer is wired for 30 amp service, search Amazon for a Marinco 30 amp RV plug. But again, by the time you buy connectors for both ends, and 30 or 35' of appropriately sized wire, you may find it less expensive to just buy the right cord.

Thank you. The opposite end that we are talking about is a 30/50 amp plug I wired for 30 amps (6600 watts if I recall properly) so either plug should work as there are only 30 amps coming to trailer. I had a spool of 10 ga wire which can handle 30 amps and the 30/50 plug already so only need to buy this plug.

danemayer

Thank you. The opposite end that we are talking about is a 30/50 amp plug I wired for 30 amps (6600 watts if I recall properly) so either plug should work as there are only 30 amps coming to trailer. I had a spool of 10 ga wire which can handle 30 amps and the 30/50 plug already so only need to buy this plug.

I'm not sure I'm following, but if you have a 50 amp plug that can be plugged into a 50 amp receptacle on a campground pedestal, and 10 ga wire, you have an unsafe cord.

I'm not sure I'm following, but if you have a 50 amp plug that can be plugged into a 50 amp receptacle on a campground pedestal, and 10 ga wire, you have an unsafe cord.
I am on my own property I have a 100 amp service from the meter box. One set of breakers in the box feeds a receptical. Into that I have a plug that can be wired for 30 or 50 amps (30/50) I have it wired for 30 amps. The wire is 10 ga. On the other end of the wire I need a female plug. The camper has a male 50 Amp plug coming out of it....but there is a sticker from manufactor that says 30 amp on the trailer...so I want to know can I put a 50 amp female plug on my wire? Keeping in mind the other end is wired for 30 amp?

danemayer

I am on my own property I have a 100 amp service from the meter box. One set of breakers in the box feeds a receptical. Into that I have a plug that can be wired for 30 or 50 amps (30/50) I have it wired for 30 amps. The wire is 10 ga. On the other end of the wire I need a female plug. The camper has a male 50 Amp plug coming out of it....but there is a sticker from manufactor that says 30 amp on the trailer...so I want to know can I put a 50 amp female plug on my wire? Keeping in mind the other end is wired for 30 amp?

There are 3 questions here.

1) What plug goes into the trailer receptacle. A 50 amp is different from a 30 amp. They are not interchangeable. While you're saying the camper has a 50 amp plug coming out of it, you're also saying there's a sticker that says 30 amp. Something is wrong there.

2) You have a plug that goes into the pedestal receptacle that you say can be wired for either 30 or 50 amps. I know of no such thing. The only thing I can imagine like that would be a 50 amp NEMA 14-50P plug with only one hot leg wired. And if that's what you're doing, you'd be plugging 30 amp wiring into a circuit that is probably carrying more than 30 amps.

3) You haven't mentioned the rating of the circuit breaker that protects the pedestal receptacle. If you're using 10 ga wire for the cord, you should be using a 30 amp circuit breaker to protect that circuit. And a 30 amp receptacle - a NEMA TT-30R.

I'd suggest you get some help from a licensed electrician familiar with RV electrical. A mistake could have really serious consequences.

Wow! Good morning! Dane: At 65 I should know not to ask a question after drinking a few mixers...but this being cooped up due to CV-19 leads to boredom.
With a clearER eye this morning I ordered a 50 Amp replacement cord with the ends that I need and a matching 50 amp receptacle to change at end of shore power supply.
Dane your advice of just ordering a new cord was spot on. I could have rigged up a 50 to 30 wire but most likely my power requirements at top usage would not be met.